Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well...overheating issue possibly solved...hopefully...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well...overheating issue possibly solved...hopefully...

Seems the thermostat is bad, at least that's why my dealer says...no idea what it's supposed to look like but here' a pic. And he also found a bunch of wires somewhere in the piping...possibly it's from the inside of a hose?
    Attached Files
    08 X30 - deader than dead...and crispy.

Yeah, I'd say that's bad....

Comment

Luckily, if that's the case, thermostats are cheap and generally very available.

(For future reference, in case you care or have a need down the road, you can just pop a thermostat in a pan of water on the stove alongside a thermometer... then just heat the water until the temp reaches the rating on the thermostat and you should be able to see it open.)

As for the "wires", they do appear coiled like reinforcing or support strands from the inside of an exhaust hose or similar. Which does lead to the question of where they came from... hopefully an old hose that the previous owner has since replaced... but I'd sure want to spend some time inspecting everything downstream to ensure you have it all out and that your current hoses are in good shape.

PS: Tell the tech to set those rusty scraps on a piece of paper or plastic... not right on your carpet. Just sayin'

Comment

on the MV8 5.7, the wires are from an intake hose. That needs to be address too, as the hose will suck itself flat and restrict water flow if not tended to.

I think hose is located on the starboard side under the exhauset manifold. see picture in next post

Also, there is a good chance that those fragments passed through the raw impeller before settling in the thermostat housing. You should put eyes on that if you haven't replaced it.
        Last edited by osmonet; 05-14-2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

From memory, I think this is the hose that has the inner wire that would need to be replaced.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by osmonet View Post
            on the MV8 5.7, the wires are from an intake hose. That needs to be address too, as the hose will suck itself flat and restrict water flow if not tended to.

I think hose is located on the starboard side under the exhauset manifold. see picture in next post

Wooo! No intake hose should be doing that! Nobody got time for dat!

Comment

The wire is a fairly well-known issue. All the hoses on the intake side of the RWP are under a vacuum because it's the suction side of the pump. They are wire enforced on the inside, so they don't collapse due to the suction. If they collapse, then raw water flow is cutoff, and the boat will quickly overheat. Think trying to suck a really thick milkshake through a paper straw....

For a lot of years, Mastercraft used normal steel wire for the reinforcement, and it would corrode. Later they switch to stainless steel reinforcement wire inside those hoses. Did the tech replace the hoses in question with the newer hoses with SS reinforcement? If they simply cleaned out the corroded wire, then it's not a proper fix.....

You can't tell if thermostat is bad by looking at it. Unless you can tell the physical structure of the thermostat is compromised. From that picture, I would say no way to tell if that one is good or bad. It would need to be tested in heated water as has been mentioned.
              -----------------------------------
              Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
              Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
              Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post

You can't tell if thermostat is bad by looking at it. Unless you can tell the physical structure of the thermostat is compromised. From that picture, I would say no way to tell if that one is good or bad. It would need to be tested in heated water as has been mentioned.
                But if the gasket is bad, hot water could bypass and drive the temperature up.

Comment

Thanks gang, will inform my dealer to check the hose.

Comment

Originally posted by osmonet View Post

Also, there is a good chance that those fragments passed through the raw impeller before settling in the thermostat housing. You should put eyes on that if you haven't replaced it.
                    Thanks! Impeller was just changed out before putting the boat in the lift. And they double checked it, at least it's still good. And the key was in.

Comment

Ok, was out today 3x so far, about an hour each time. Boat stayed right at 150-160 while cruising. Thermostat was the culprit! Wasn’t a cheap fix but glad it’s done!

Comment

Working...
                      X