Lake Havasu Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Havasu Trip

We had booked a place in Page, AZ/Wahweap Marina to enjoy Lake Powell a few months back but after hearing about the low water levels and seeing pics, we cancelled there. We were hoping to see the Grand Canyon on this trip so my wife kept looking and found this: https://justsimplywander.com/lake-havasu-arizona/ So, off to Lake Havasu we go, with the MC in tow from St. Paul, MN.

We’re staying at the Nautical Beach Resort which will be nice to have ready access to the boat right from our door and close to town and on-water action. We are still driving to the Grand Canyon one day to check that out. It’s supposed to be HOT next week so that should be interesting. I did make front and rear bimini sunshade extensions to help their interior stay more shady.

My current plan is to explore as far north as Top Rock and as far south as the Parker Dam, anyone know how long it takes to boat to either place?

For those of you that have been to Lake Havasu, what recommendations do you have? What are the must-sees/dos and don’t dos/stay clear of? It sounds like there are plenty of bars/restaurants up and down the river. Any cool canyons to explore or places to jump of a cliff to the water below?

Any yes, the boat, trailer, and tow rig are 100% ready to hit the highway and 115 temps.
    Former: 2007 X15

Enjoy the trip! The MN weather prepared you this week for the AZ heat.

2014 X2 Green, White, and Black
    Sent using Tapatalk
    2014 X2 Black and Green

Comment

Originally posted by nenderle View Post
      Enjoy the trip! The MN weather prepared you this week for the AZ heat.

2014 X2 Green, White, and Black
      Sent using Tapatalk
      Ha! We were on the boat yesterday and told my kids the same thing!

Comment

Wolf Watersports is an MC dealer and has a location in Havasu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip. Have a blast, and post pics please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bruce, I took your sunshade method and adapted it a bit. I need to get some good pics and I'll post here.

Yes, I'll post up pics as we go through the journey.

Comment

Ranger is right Ridge @ Wolf Watersports is the MC shop in Lake Havasu

I believe you were referring to Topoc and not Top Rock It is worth a trip to Topoc if you have never been and the water in high. Just be very mindful, and maybe if follow another boat, around the sandbars at the north end of the lake as you enter the river. I will see if I can find a picture.

You can jump rocks in copper canyon but I personally have not done that in a long time...

We are normally directly across from black meadow landing at a beach area referred to as three dunes...The south end between black meadows and Parker dam is much quieter than around the channel.

There are lots of food options including a couple of decent breweries in town
              2017 XT23 6000 GDI

Comment

2017 XT23 6000 GDI

Comment

We just got back from 4 weeks in Havasu with our boat. Spent last September there too. You're going to love it!

My advice:
                  - buy a $99 membership to Boat US. It's $100 very well spent. They will tow you in, bring you gas, and without the membership it's $250/hour for their time. Trust me on this. https://www.boatus.com/landing/landing/services.asp

- Use the Gas Buddy app to find cheap gas in town, the stores can vary .$40/gal in price

- Download the Navionics app on your phone. It's awesome for knowing where to go (and where not to). The path up the river (like in the photo above) is very narrow in one spot and the app made it a breeze to navigate. Go through it on plane.

- Plan on a day to go north to Topack and Pirates Cove. The food is better at Topack, then cruise over to Pirates and hang on the beach. It's about a 20 mile trip each way, and it's an amazing ride.

- Going south to Havasu Springs Resort is also a nice ride, just not as scenic. Decent food there too. About a 20 mile ride that way too from the island.

- The boat ramp at Windsor (state park) is the best. Site six is free, but steeper and kind of a pain.

- Steamboat Cove is a lot of fun, there is a rock to jump from there. Another cool one is Copper Canyon, but no beach there so you have to anchor.

- Speaking of anchors... Get a Slide Anchor and Box Anchor while you're there, they are awesome. The manufacturer is in town. https://www.slideanchor.com/

- The channel is great for people and big boat watching. Get ready to see lot's of pasties and booty shaking. Be careful when you pull up, some if it's kind of rocky.

- You need to have an orange flag if you have a skier/rider/tuber out. There are a lot of boat cops, they are friendly as long as you're not being stupid. Drive on the Cali side of the river going south and the AZ side going north.

- There is a Virtual Reality place that my kids love, it's fun.

- Great places to eat: La Vida Dolce, Red Onion (breakfast), Javelina Cantina, Heather's Water and Ice (ice cream), Mudshark Tap Room, Hanger 24 (at the airport).

- Like other's said, Ridge at Wolf is super helpful if you need anything boat related.

- Before you go on the lake buy a bottle of Boat Bling Hot Sauce, you can find at a most gas stations, boat stores, etc. The lake is very hard water and this stuff is like magic for wiping them off.

- If you take a day off boating, drive up to the town of Oatman, about an hour away. It's an old mining town with wild burros that roam the streets.

Anything else just ask! Have fun!

Comment

Thank you @Babyback and Finnsdad! This is the stuff I'm looking for.

Is there a place in town that has a paper map of the lake that shows beaches/restaurants/points of interest on the lake?

Comment

Spy your boat.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/...-bridge-havasu
                      -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by Upnorth07 View Post
                        Thank you @Babyback and Finnsdad! This is the stuff I'm looking for.

Is there a place in town that has a paper map of the lake that shows beaches/restaurants/points of interest on the lake?
                        Probably, but I didn't use one. Check with the state park folks at Windsor or the Campbell Cove One Stop.

Comment

Its about 17 miles from where you are staying to Havasu springs (what you are calling Parker dam) its a fun trip and lots of beaches and camping along the way for eating lunch. Check out a website called riverdavesplace.com lots of good info on that site.

Comment

I would love to learn more... anywhere that doesn't have drought issues sounds good! Just saw a video from riverdavesplace.com over Memorial Day weekend, if I were 20-something it looks appealing, but at this point I'm more interested in surfing the open water with my family than parking and drinking all day in the river. What are the crowds like in late October or early November?

Comment

What route do you plan on taking? I've done the WI to Havasu trip 3 different ways (gone thru MPLS each time). It's within 100 miles difference for each route.

35-80-15-95 was by far the easiest route when towing, but longest. Minimal mountains, all nice interstate driving. You'll need to stop in WY and UT at the boat inspection station. Have your plug out and trailer/hull clean of any weeds. When they ask how long since you've been in the water, my suggestion is to say at least 30 days, that way hopefully they won't require an engine flush with their hot water and a fake a lake, so be ready to access the key if needed. If I did it again, I'd do this route.

35-80-76-70-15-95 - Most scenic, lots of mountains on 70, not the best for towing.

35-54-40-95 - This way was the worst. 54 is 2 lane in Kansas for a long time, 40 is not smooth, and New Mexico is covid crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X