Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CottagerGreg
    replied
    People will surf their boat for hours or load it down boarding but cry about towing a small dock. No one said to tow it at 20mph. MC's are built like a brick sh*t house

Put on a line and throttle up to 6-8mph. I did our dock bases for a few miles with a Scout 15' with a 60 hp Mercury engine

Leave a comment:

• curver900
    replied
    Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
    Is the 100/mile just while under tow or do you have to also pay them to go get it and for their drive back?

Are you up river or down river from where its going?

This might sound a bit nuts but its really not that uncommon to toss outboard motors onto floating docks and drive them around like a pontoon boat. How feasible this would be for you would depend if you have an outboard and how much speed you could get out of it. If nothing else if you have a few people you could use the ski boat to rip down and swap out your crew on the boat/resupply with gas and just plan on it taking an entire day to drive it.
    This is a great idea! hats off to the smart one!!!

Leave a comment:

• H2ORidr
    replied
    Originally posted by dvsone79 View Post
    Have you noticed the demand for boats lately? The demand for docks is equally high, and the price for new docks might be even higher in comparison due to supply costs. There’s several months lead time on building a new one.
    I ordered a new dock and lift first week in January. Dock arrived early April. Lift arrived late April. Lift has a bad controller for the side screens and it is backordered so not huge to me but if I was in a hurry I would be pizzed.

I asked my dealer if I could get 3 more sections of dock and he said if I ordered today I might get them in late September. He received 2 truckloads of sections a month ago and within a week they were all sold. He said he had probably 300+ people asking about buying docks all through the beginning of the year but only ~20 of us plunked down the money to order. Now the rest are stopping into his shop begging for docks that he does not have.

Leave a comment:

• FoggyNogginz
    replied
    I sold a 38x20 dock that was 18 feet tall in March, and the new owner pushed it 18 miles up the lake by putting his boat in the slip and pushing it at 2MPH the whole way. He disconnected the walkway and put it on his boat directly. Two weeks later, my dock builder built my 700sqft dock three miles away, and pushed it to my property with a 24foot pontoon. It can be done with a little patience and time.

Update: Nevermind - Sounds like you have a plan already!
    Last edited by FoggyNogginz; 06-09-2021, 03:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 88 PS190
    replied
    Originally posted by uplandbird View Post
    So what happens if the pontoon is tied hard to the dock you are moving and the dock begins to sink. Could a pontoon save it or do they both get destroyed?

2500 bucks seems like decent insurance policy. I know it sucks but so does everything in this game.
    Same as any time you have your boat tied to something you need to have a way to cut the rope around and very handy.
    Particularly if you're going up or down a set of locks, or if you've got anything in tow you need a good knife or heavy duty scissor so you can separate the load in a hurry.

10 feet is an oversized load.

I also couldn't stomach paying 2500 for the pleasure the detail that this thing has a roof adds to the complexity doesn't sound like the thing can just be tossed on a pontoon trailer and hauled over the road.

The irritating thing is whoever you pay 2500 bucks to is going to show up with one of those ridiculous triple outboard work barges with the hydraulic arm and do the whole job in 2 hours. Nothing like having the tool.

Leave a comment:

• dvsone79
    replied
    After careful consideration and lots of sound advice from this forum, we’ve decided against doing it ourselves. I appreciate all the input! Would’ve definitely taken pics. All of these things brought up have been on my mind. Heck, even the possibility of CO poisoning occurred to me. At idle speeds, underneath the roof of the dock, and for that amount of time, it could be a recipe for CO concentrations high enough to be dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• uplandbird
    replied
    So what happens if the pontoon is tied hard to the dock you are moving and the dock begins to sink. Could a pontoon save it or do they both get destroyed?

2500 bucks seems like decent insurance policy. I know it sucks but so does everything in this game.

Leave a comment:

• Huckelfin
    replied
    Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, I have no idea what this thing looks like, but can it be taken apart and transported over a couple trips at your leisure, maybe recruit a neighbor to help? I couldn't pay $100 a mile just based on general principal, but I realize some people may value their time more than me, or some that simply do not care they are paying $2500.

Leave a comment:

• chevy08bud
    replied
    I've done it with a 10x20 on a very early Sunday morning. It takes a lot longer than you'd expect because you have to go a lot slower than you'd expect. Really couldn't imagine 25 miles. My tow was 7.5 and took every bit of two hours.

Leave a comment:

• John Johnson
    replied
    Last 4th of July, I saw someone convert a floating dock into a putting green and people would hit balls toward the "green" from their yards. They moved it with a trolling motor. The driver of the putting green was hit several times. Fun entertainment on days the boat stays tied to the dock.

Leave a comment:

• 88 PS190
    replied
    Is the 100/mile just while under tow or do you have to also pay them to go get it and for their drive back?

Are you up river or down river from where its going?

This might sound a bit nuts but its really not that uncommon to toss outboard motors onto floating docks and drive them around like a pontoon boat. How feasible this would be for you would depend if you have an outboard and how much speed you could get out of it. If nothing else if you have a few people you could use the ski boat to rip down and swap out your crew on the boat/resupply with gas and just plan on it taking an entire day to drive it.

Leave a comment:

• dvsone79
    replied
    Originally posted by curver900 View Post
    seems better to sell it and buy a new one for the $2500 bucks to move it.

Can't you take it apart and put it on a trailer drive around and put it back together??

That is what I would do.. no way would I try and move it 25 miles by boat... or pay $100/mile
    Have you noticed the demand for boats lately? The demand for docks is equally high, and the price for new docks might be even higher in comparison due to supply costs. There’s several months lead time on building a new one.

Leave a comment:

• Upnorth07
    replied
    Whatever you do, get pics!

Leave a comment:

• curver900
    replied
    seems better to sell it and buy a new one for the $2500 bucks to move it.

Can't you take it apart and put it on a trailer drive around and put it back together??

That is what I would do.. no way would I try and move it 25 miles by boat... or pay $100/mile

Leave a comment:

• Wheelin98TJ
    replied
    I'd just pay the transport company before renting a pontoon.

Pontoon rentals are not cheap, at least not around here. You'd probably spend at least $500 for the time you'd need the boat for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toon rental.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	2410903

Leave a comment:

Working...
X