Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a Moomba Makai vs MC NXT24

hello everyone,

I currently own a 2003 supra Launch, and were looking to upgrade to a v drive boat and a bigger boat, I actually have a deposit down already on the Moomba Makai and the salesmen has been really un responsive so I decided to look around and wound up testing a Mastercraft NXT 24. its a great boat and really like it! but the Moomba does have a lot more for the money, and I really like the walk thru that isn't Offred on the NXT24. wake is of course very important, I like wakeboarding, and now that we are looking at a new boat I am sure we will get into the wake surfing. was hoping I might get some people opinions who might have been around both boats..

thanks!

mike

While Moomba has come a long way, the quality is still supremely lackluster in comparison to an MC product.

A good thing to consider if the dealership barely even wants to take your money, what are the chances they’re going to be worth a damn when it comes to service and they’ve already been paid?
    Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
    Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
    2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
    For Sale:
    2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
      While Moomba has come a long way, the quality is still supremely lackluster in comparison to an MC product.

A good thing to consider if the dealership barely even wants to take your money, what are the chances they’re going to be worth a damn when it comes to service and they’ve already been paid?
      I echo this sentiment whole heartedly. As we were going through our search over the last year or two it was wild to me how often dealers just wouldn't follow up after showing legit interest and or putting a deposit down on a boat. The post sale relationship is huge and one of the reasons I was willing to buy from a dealer thats a few hours away from where we live. We txt frequently if I have questions about the boat or small bugs that pop up, don't look past that in making your decision.

As far as the boats go, the NXT in my opinion has a way better interior and UI is better thought out. The Moomba wake and wave are very solid for that price range but regardless of boat you'll be adding ballast/lead to dial in to your desire. I would prioritize the features and functionality of the boats over the wake/wave because you can add weight to get to your desired outcome either way.

Comment

I’ve seen your post also over on the Moomba forum, I have neither brand boat and didn’t respond over there.

You’ve obviously noticed each brand forum is going to sway their bias either way.

As an independent 3rd party that frequents planet natique and malibucrew also, I’d go with the makai.

I really do feel Moomba is is doing a fine job in the “budget” space. The bang for the bucks really does seem to trickle down in that line.
        No other brand, atx, mc, axis, uses the same towers or technology from their premium brands, except Moomba.
        Things from the years of Supra past flow right into Moomba as the Supra line is innovated and upgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by j.mo View Post
          I’ve seen your post also over on the Moomba forum, I have neither brand boat and didn’t respond over there.

You’ve obviously noticed each brand forum is going to sway their bias either way.

As an independent 3rd party that frequents planet natique and malibucrew also, I’d go with the makai.

I really do feel Moomba is is doing a fine job in the “budget” space. The bang for the bucks really does seem to trickle down in that line.
          No other brand, atx, mc, axis, uses the same towers or technology from their premium brands, except Moomba.
          Things from the years of Supra past flow right into Moomba as the Supra line is innovated and upgraded.

You are 100% incorrect. The NXT line uses the base tower available across all lines. XT and X. Please pay attention before you post.

Edit: The NXT tower may not be the base on X, but it is not NXT specific.

Comment

Moomba seems to offer the most boat for the money from what I have seen for 2021. Just can’t stand the name moomba on a boat though. Rip the decals off and you have a pretty sweet rig.

Comment

Originally posted by j.mo View Post
              What? NXT line uses MCs surf system and towers. Same can be said for Centurion/Supreme. Axis and ATX share surf systems (though not towers) with their parent company boats. You're just straight up wrong lol.

Anyway- MC build quality is hands down better than Moomba (go see each one in person and push on the side of the hull if you don't believe me) but a stock Makai could/will out preform a stock NXT24 in a wave comparison in my opinion. That can be corrected with weight. I'd probably go with the NXT and upgrade the rear bags. You may also want to consider a Centurion Vi24.

The MC, Moomba, and Centurion are all great boats in my opinion, and all have their strengths and weaknesses. I do think you get a lot of boat for your money with Moomba, but there is a noticeable difference in build quality between Moomba and MC. I wish you good luck and keep us updated!
              -Tolman
              '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
              '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

I would probably stick with Mastercraft because of my relationship with my dealer. If dealer wasn't a factor then it would be a close call but I would probably take the Makai. I can only really back this choice up with "I like it better" because I havent surfed either of them. My last 3 boats have been MC but I did have a 2004 Moomba XLV for about 6 years. It was a great boat that never gave me a single problem and had great resale value when I sold it (in 2010 or 11?).

Comment

guys, thank you so much for the input! yes I have been posting at both Moomba and Mastercraft to get as much input as possible knowing that each one would be bias. I finally got some response from the dealer and it looks like Monday I can actually go see a makai. I have had my supra since new 2003, and its been an awesome boat! at the time it was only 34K crazy now to think you have to spend 100K to get a good wake boat!

Comment

I would make sure you are solid on what you value.
                    Technology, Stereo, craftsmanship, warranty, dealer support, Wave, Wake, Look/Fit and Finish or Options.
                    For me it is Look, Fit and Finish. It used to be the wakeboard wake but I am not a good enough wakeboarder or surfer and I am not a stereo guy so those are not at the top of my list. I can effortlessly get serious "pop" behind a Supra SA but I can't afford those.

That said, the NXT just looks bada$$ on the water!

Comment

buying a Moomba Makai vs MC NXT24

Moomba sounds like a laxative.

Get the NXT. Below are from the 2020 Denver Boat Show.

Comment

We just bought another house that comes with a slip in a community marina. Of the surf boats in the neighborhood, 2 are MC, 2 are Moomba and 1 Centurion. The MC and Moomba dealers are just down the road from the neighborhood.

I have never surfed a Moomba, but I have never met an owner that complained about their wave or quality.

I do know that our MC dealer has been amazing with warranty and other service. I would get the MC every time, if those were my choices.

Comment

Originally posted by TolCarMan View Post
                          What? NXT line uses MCs surf system and towers. Same can be said for Centurion/Supreme. Axis and ATX share surf systems (though not towers) with their parent company boats. You're just straight up wrong lol.

Anyway- MC build quality is hands down better than Moomba (go see each one in person and push on the side of the hull if you don't believe me) but a stock Makai could/will out preform a stock NXT24 in a wave comparison in my opinion. That can be corrected with weight. I'd probably go with the NXT and upgrade the rear bags. You may also want to consider a Centurion Vi24.

The MC, Moomba, and Centurion are all great boats in my opinion, and all have their strengths and weaknesses. I do think you get a lot of boat for your money with Moomba, but there is a noticeable difference in build quality between Moomba and MC. I wish you good luck and keep us updated!

I said towers and technology. Not towers and surf systems.

Comment

Still wrong

Comment

At this point the OP is more into Wakeboarding. For Wake boarding my old NXT22 outperformed my buddies Supra SG550 by a long shot (and surfing, we both added weight). I could get a clean wake on both sides for the kids at 17.2 mph. Both supra's and the one moomba I have been on have a hard time getting the weight right to get a clean wake on both sides and throw an awful rooster tail and the exhaust is awful even with the surf pipe. After having a GDI motor it would be hard for me to switch they are just so clean and have the lowest fuel burn rate and with the fuel prices its nice to only burn half of what my friend does in his Supra.

The Raptor motor are dirty compared (and give me a headache surfing behind) to the Illmor GDI you can get in NXT24. Yes you get more gadgets bang for your buck on the Moomba, but the build quality is hands down way better on the NXT. Just go sit in one and look closely at the fit, finish, and comfort.

I almost pulled the trigger (designed one at ROMOBOCO) on a fully loaded SA450 because it was going to save me about $45K. I am so so so happy I waited and found a 2 year used X22. The wave with 700 lbs of lead on the SA was still in no comparison to the X22 stock wave. Everything just seams way better built and the seats are far more comfortable. I understand these are both 2 different boats than what you are looking at.

MC holds their value better historically, but this market is crazy (who know how long it will last).

Also the Dealer is extremely important on a new boat purchase, which is another reason that I could not leave MC.
                              Last edited by Tookeymonster; 06-12-2021, 04:59 PM. Reason: adding comment

Comment

Working...
                              X