Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Prostar 209 Stars and Stripes is finally done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Prostar 209 Stars and Stripes is finally done!

It's be a several month long process, but I'm finally done with the graphics redo on my 209. I've always been a big fan of the original stars boats, but especially the 35th boat and the way the stars have "movement" on the hull. I was able to find a fellow TT member willing to trace the stars on his boat (thanks George!!), and Domed Numbers used those tracings to scan into their CAD software. They are now able to reproduce sets of the 35th stars for $250.

I also updated the large MasterCraft decals on the side and transom to match the white stars and choose not to put the "World Record Towboats" back on the transom. The biggest issue I had was that my boat is ceramic coated. So, just replacing the side/transom decals with stock would be no problem since there is no ceramic under them. But, the entire rest of the side had ceramic and not even blue tape would stick to it. I had to remove the ceramic coat by buffing and polishing the gelcoat. This is really the only way to get it off the gel. If you have ever done this, you know what a mess it makes. So, I masked off both above and below the red, and it worked great. Hit the gel with 3M finesse it (wool pad) and perfect it (foam pad), followed by an acetone wipe down on the areas where the decals would be.

Lining up the MasterCraft decals wasn't hard, just take pics before pulling them off to have reference points. One helpful trick I did was to lower the trailer jack until the bottom of the decal was level, then I knew that the new one would go back on level. Note that this does not mean the trailer is level.

Since I decided not to put the World Record Towboat back on the transom, there was some ghosting of those letters. That are had to be wet sanded 1000 and 1500 prior to buff/polish.

The stars on these boats are slanted on each side, and each is a different size. Domed did not mark them in order and they were printed in no order. It took a long time to sort them into the correct placement. I'm going to message them to suggest that marking them is done in the future. For the stars placement, it was a lot of measuring, trial and error, and measuring again. Since the hull drops down at the bow and stern, the distance from the star to the rub rail decreases as you move fore and aft of center. It looks a little wonky on the trailer, but makes total sense once the boat is in the water.

Once everything was done I hit the red with a new coat of the 3M marine wax, I'm not doing ceramic coat again.

Overall I'm super pleased with how it turned out.
    Attached Files

Looks awesome!

Comment

Well done. Worth the work for sure. Classic looking rig.

Comment

So awesome. Looks sharp! Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2008 X14
        1964 Boston Whaler Nauset
        1994 PS205, sold

Comment

Looking great!

Comment

Looks good!
            1989 Prostar 190 351 sold
            2008 Prostar 197 LY6

Comment

That is SWEEEET!
              Rick
              sigpic

Comment

Well done!!
                Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                For Sale:
                2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Looks great! I’m a sucker for good, clean work and transformation!
                  Former: 2007 X15

Comment

spectacular ... love it

Comment

Looks fantastic! Nicely done.
                      Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Looks great, you know I'm a fan of that S&S

I'm glad it turned out so nice. I've had and seen projects that you have this vision, spend a lot of time and money and it just doesn't work out. This isn't one of those, you'll enjoy this every time you look at the boat.
                        Could you take a close up picture of the lettering and a star? I'd like to see the borders details. If I never get one of the 35th 190s then I may do this someday to a regular 190. Thanks for sharing and giving others hope.
                        Previous Boats: 04 X7, 98 190, 96 205, Sylvan Deck
                        Thanks and best wishes, George & Sara Amonette
                        256 786 2244
                        [email protected]

Comment

This turned out so well! Absolutely love it.

Comment

Originally posted by georgea0731 View Post
                            I'm glad it turned out so nice. I've had and seen projects that you have this vision, spend a lot of time and money and it just doesn't work out. This isn't one of those, you'll enjoy this every time you look at the boat.
                            Could you take a close up picture of the lettering and a star? I'd like to see the borders details. If I never get one of the 35th 190s then I may do this someday to a regular 190. Thanks for sharing and giving others hope.
                            Thanks! The color is white with chrome/black/chrome outlines.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice!
                              OH-IO!

Comment

Working...
                              X