Is this squeaking the belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this squeaking the belt?

Hey Guys, my boat just started squeaking a week ago barely, this weekend we went camping and it has gotten significantly worse. It gets louder as I take off, then stops once around 2-2.5k RPM. Can you tell me if this is the belt? Also, possibly what I need to do to fix it? Thanks so much for the help! 2006 X2 MCX
    Attached Files

Can’t open it. But if it’s a squeal it is most likely the belt.
    If it’s a whistle, it’s likely just the air intake. Same boat, ours whistles at certain rpms.
    '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

It could be the bearings on the water pump. It is always hard to tell in videos but I would lean towards a belt or bearings.
      Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

Comment

Spray a little wd40 on only the belt while running. If the noise stops. It’s your belt
        2019 Xstar

Comment

When mine was squeeking like that it was a broken bolt on the alternator bracket. Maybe make sure they are tight first?

Comment

'06 X2 here too. Same squeak this season. Just dumping water on the belt affected the noise (didn't try wd40). Replaced the belt and no more issue. It took some effort to get it tight.
            ($33 from Bakes for my MCX: Indmar 725034 Serpentine Belt)

Comment

Originally posted by DryHop View Post
              '06 X2 here too. Same squeak this season. Just dumping water on the belt affected the noise (didn't try wd40). Replaced the belt and no more issue. It took some effort to get it tight.
              How did you figure out which belt you needed? I assume mine would be the same, but wanted to verify

Comment

What all did you have to remove to get it off/on?

Comment

Bakes description appeared to match my old belt in length and width (should be same for you with same year MCX):

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-7...tine-belt.html

Just had to loosen the Alternator and secondly there was one water pump support bar which I had to disconnect one end to feed the belt through. A small mirror helps locate the fasteners.

Comment

Bakes description appeared to match my old belt in length and width (should be same for you with same year MCX):

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-7...tine-belt.html

Just had to loosen the Alternator and secondly there was one water pump support bar which I had to disconnect one end to feed the belt through. A small mirror helps locate the fasteners.
                    Is there not a tensior pulley to give some slack to remove the belt? How did you get the alternator back tight after you got the new belt back on?

Comment

Working...
                    X