• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robert Davis iii
    TT Regular
    • Feb 2018

2018 Model X26 Center Ballast Tank Crack

Well we all know the story....hmmm, wonder why my bilge pump is working so hard this weekend. Well the thread title tells the story. There is a crack in the center ballast tank that is low and towards the rear of the tank. I have made myself sick over the entire thing since I am one of those guys that spends 3 hours cleaning the MC up before I cover it up after each use. All of that and now to hear this!

So I have questions and my dealer does as well. The dealer has opened a case with MC and hopefully we will hear back toward the end of the week. There are discussions of taking the cap off of the boat to remove the tank under warranty of course and that is quite concerning to me perhaps out of a lack of knowledge of how it will go back together in a way that is satisfactory and whether the factory will do it for the dealer.

Also from prior experience the dealer told me that they have not been able to get any information on the composition of the material that the tank is made out of....in an effort to see if there is an epoxy material that would bond with it and possibly alleviate the major repair of "uncapping" the boat.

I have told my dealer that I would start this thread and they will be looking for what you have to say as well. And for the record they are a great dealer and a top 20 MC dealer and it is frustrating to see that even with that status, there is literally nobody that they can pick up the phone and talk to at MC about this....it has to be email...so sad.
  • wallos
    TT Enthusiast
    • Oct 2017

I wouldn't try to repair. I would get it replaced while under warranty. Let the dealer figure out how, or who to send it to.

Comment

• moosehead
      MC Maniac
      • May 2015

IIRC those here on TT with tank replacements primarily rely on dealer, though a couple may have gone to HQ.

In addition to splitting the hull at the rub rail and a crane or hoist, the electrical and mechanical linkages are disconnected and reconnected topsides to hull.

Hope you get her squared away soon let us know how she goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• LD50
        TT Enthusiast
        • Jul 2014

I'm pretty sure I'm in the same boat with my 18 Xstar. Bilge pump run consistently when surfing and ballast is filled with little or no water in the bilge any other time. I'm still in the process of trying to figure out exactly which tank is the culprit. Are most of the failures isolated to a specific tank or is it generally a random thing?

Comment

• osmonet
          TT Regular
          • Mar 2015

I agree with comments above if under warranty have dealer work with factory to fix. Once tanks are out and you have good access, maybe experiment with some epoxy and let us know if anything works. I can’t imagine the tanks are any super unique material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• gwozhog
            MC Devotee
            • Jul 2013

Mastercraft should go back to removable floor panels and bags for ballast. Should not have to split a boat in half to do a simple repair. Even Nautique uses bags on their G series boats. A good design should have foresight for future repairs down the road. Hope it works out for you painlessly.

Comment

• FourFourty
              MC Maniac
              • Nov 2010

Ya, just get it replaced under warranty. I does seem scary to split the top deck off the boat, but it actually isn't very difficult at all.

Comment

• Robert Davis iii
                TT Regular
                • Feb 2018

Well I thought I would give everybody an update. Nobody knew when a replacement tank would be available Nd my dealer would not have the time to replace it until winter. So I opted to finally order the X26 custom for 2022....it will arrive over the winter...that ended the wakesurfing for the year but we are excited about the new one. It has all options except rear docking lights and bathroom and large engine. I am excited about the new options added since my 2018 was built. Futrell Marine in Hot Springs was wonderful during the entire process and took mine in trade and it will be repaired under warranty and make a good boat for someone as it is showroom perfect from an appearance standpoint.

Comment

• btriantos
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Jul 2008

How big is the crack and can you get to it? If so, JB weld might do the trick

Comment

• Robert Davis iii
                    TT Regular
                    • Feb 2018

It was covered with carpet when I saw the video so I don't know for sure but my guess is about 2 to 3 inches based upon how big the area was where water was coming thru the carpet with force.

Comment

• jtkeller
                      TT Regular
                      • Mar 2018

We had a 18 x26 and upgraded to a 20 x26 2 years ago. You’re gonna love the new boats wave versus the old one.

Comment

• jgraham37128
                        TT Regular
                        • Oct 2012

Just get it replaced under warranty. It’s not the first time the top has been off. It will be fine.

I agree on the phone part. Every dealer should be able to call someone. My guess is they want everything in writing which is fine but at least able to make a call for a question should be available.

The difference in buying a $200k Porsche versus a $200 boat. One is treated like royalty and the other is like going to the NISSAN dealer. Cmon Mastercraft you can do better.

Comment

• jgraham37128
                          TT Regular
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Robert Davis iii View Post
                          It was covered with carpet when I saw the video so I don't know for sure but my guess is about 2 to 3 inches based upon how big the area was where water was coming thru the carpet with force.
                          Get some flex seal tape or spray. Guarantee you it will stop it. That will get you by through the rest of the year.

Comment

• MattsCraft
                            MC Devotee
                            • May 2008

The tanks are HDPE - Flex Seal will not stick to it, I tried, actually nothing really sticks to it. I tried all of the Marine adhesives, nothing sticks to HDPE. The only real chance you have at fixing is to Plastic weld with HDPE rods, which is a real skill.

The tanks typically break/crack at the seam of the cap to the base (which is welded) Making this repair weld is likely impossible in the boat. The rear tank I tried to weld was one I could remove on my X25, even with it out of the boat, my weld had pin holes, so I just replaced it.

Had I not been able to remove & replace, I would have just removed the tanks & replaced with bags.

Comment

• jpwhit
                              MC Fanatic
                              • Jul 2019

When the KGB tank in my X-25 cracked, I plastic welded the crack with the tank in the boat. I didn't have any trouble getting a good weld and it hasn't leaked a drop since. It didn't seem terribly difficult, but I do have a good bit of experience with all kinds of metal and plastic fabrication.

As other have said here, don't try anything other than plastic welding these tanks. Nothing really sticks to HDPE.
                              -----------------------------------
                              Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
                              Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
                              Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Working...
                              X