X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MattsCraft
    replied
    Originally posted by jpwhit View Post
    When the KGB tank in my X-25 cracked, I plastic welded the crack with the tank in the boat. I didn't have any trouble getting a good weld and it hasn't leaked a drop since. It didn't seem terribly difficult, but I do have a good bit of experience with all kinds of metal and plastic fabrication.

As other have said here, don't try anything other than plastic welding these tanks. Nothing really sticks to HDPE.

JP - If I ever have another tank crack - I will let you weld it for me - lol - A talent I certainly don't have, nor am I good at drywall muddling -

Leave a comment:

• jpwhit
    replied
    When the KGB tank in my X-25 cracked, I plastic welded the crack with the tank in the boat. I didn't have any trouble getting a good weld and it hasn't leaked a drop since. It didn't seem terribly difficult, but I do have a good bit of experience with all kinds of metal and plastic fabrication.

As other have said here, don't try anything other than plastic welding these tanks. Nothing really sticks to HDPE.

Leave a comment:

• MattsCraft
    replied
    The tanks are HDPE - Flex Seal will not stick to it, I tried, actually nothing really sticks to it. I tried all of the Marine adhesives, nothing sticks to HDPE. The only real chance you have at fixing is to Plastic weld with HDPE rods, which is a real skill.

The tanks typically break/crack at the seam of the cap to the base (which is welded) Making this repair weld is likely impossible in the boat. The rear tank I tried to weld was one I could remove on my X25, even with it out of the boat, my weld had pin holes, so I just replaced it.

Had I not been able to remove & replace, I would have just removed the tanks & replaced with bags.

Leave a comment:

• jgraham37128
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Davis iii View Post
    It was covered with carpet when I saw the video so I don't know for sure but my guess is about 2 to 3 inches based upon how big the area was where water was coming thru the carpet with force.
    Get some flex seal tape or spray. Guarantee you it will stop it. That will get you by through the rest of the year.

Leave a comment:

• jgraham37128
    replied
    Just get it replaced under warranty. It’s not the first time the top has been off. It will be fine.

I agree on the phone part. Every dealer should be able to call someone. My guess is they want everything in writing which is fine but at least able to make a call for a question should be available.

The difference in buying a $200k Porsche versus a $200 boat. One is treated like royalty and the other is like going to the NISSAN dealer. Cmon Mastercraft you can do better.

Leave a comment:

• jtkeller
    replied
    We had a 18 x26 and upgraded to a 20 x26 2 years ago. You’re gonna love the new boats wave versus the old one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Robert Davis iii
    replied
    It was covered with carpet when I saw the video so I don't know for sure but my guess is about 2 to 3 inches based upon how big the area was where water was coming thru the carpet with force.

Leave a comment:

• btriantos
    replied
    How big is the crack and can you get to it? If so, JB weld might do the trick

Leave a comment:

• Robert Davis iii
    replied
    Well I thought I would give everybody an update. Nobody knew when a replacement tank would be available Nd my dealer would not have the time to replace it until winter. So I opted to finally order the X26 custom for 2022....it will arrive over the winter...that ended the wakesurfing for the year but we are excited about the new one. It has all options except rear docking lights and bathroom and large engine. I am excited about the new options added since my 2018 was built. Futrell Marine in Hot Springs was wonderful during the entire process and took mine in trade and it will be repaired under warranty and make a good boat for someone as it is showroom perfect from an appearance standpoint.

Leave a comment:

• FourFourty
    replied
    Ya, just get it replaced under warranty. I does seem scary to split the top deck off the boat, but it actually isn't very difficult at all.

Leave a comment:

• gwozhog
    replied
    Mastercraft should go back to removable floor panels and bags for ballast. Should not have to split a boat in half to do a simple repair. Even Nautique uses bags on their G series boats. A good design should have foresight for future repairs down the road. Hope it works out for you painlessly.

Leave a comment:

• osmonet
    replied
    I agree with comments above if under warranty have dealer work with factory to fix. Once tanks are out and you have good access, maybe experiment with some epoxy and let us know if anything works. I can’t imagine the tanks are any super unique material.

Leave a comment:

• LD50
    replied
    I'm pretty sure I'm in the same boat with my 18 Xstar. Bilge pump run consistently when surfing and ballast is filled with little or no water in the bilge any other time. I'm still in the process of trying to figure out exactly which tank is the culprit. Are most of the failures isolated to a specific tank or is it generally a random thing?

Leave a comment:

• moosehead
    replied
    IIRC those here on TT with tank replacements primarily rely on dealer, though a couple may have gone to HQ.

In addition to splitting the hull at the rub rail and a crane or hoist, the electrical and mechanical linkages are disconnected and reconnected topsides to hull.

Hope you get her squared away soon let us know how she goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• wallos
    replied
    I wouldn't try to repair. I would get it replaced while under warranty. Let the dealer figure out how, or who to send it to.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X