how fast to 36mph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how fast to 36mph?

One more for the slalom skiers, but also anyone else.

How long does it take to get to 36mph from a standing start i.e. imagine you have a really sort lake and need to get up to speed before the gates.

I want to compare my 205 to other 205's, prostars of all ages and even a v drive or two if anyone has ventured that fast in one, so the more info the better!

Videos even better so I can cross reference them side by side.

to be fair this is not important. if you slalom 36 on a short lake you only care about how fast the last few years of boats can do this as if you compete you'll never see an old boat. older boats both go faster and accelerate quicker than most new tournament boats if the engines are in good tune. they were lighter and narrower and sleeker.

you can find awsa test results for these boats new by googling it.

Comment

It does matter as I'm on a small 1600ft lake (UK wooohooo) , have a 96 205, the kids are now getting up to 36mph and even though the engine has only a few hundred hours on it, I can just about do a full throttle start and it makes it to 36 by ball 1-2, whereas other boats on the lake are at 36 well before or by the pregates.

I had some work done on the engine (propane conversion) and it's already an uprated engine and now I'm after some hard data (comparison video) to preferably the 205 hull so I can show the company that did the conversion that they need to fix it.

And to the "just get a newer one" crew, a new prostar here cost the equivalent of around $150k (£110k GBP) without any options, and has a delivery date of circa 2023. The used boat stock here is extremely low. even the 2014-2019 prostars - if you can find one for sale - come up for $80k and they're typically high hours ex club boats.

Comment

Originally posted by chrislandy View Post
        It does matter as I'm on a small 1600ft lake (UK wooohooo) , have a 96 205, the kids are now getting up to 36mph and even though the engine has only a few hundred hours on it, I can just about do a full throttle start and it makes it to 36 by ball 1-2, whereas other boats on the lake are at 36 well before or by the pregates.

I had some work done on the engine (propane conversion) and it's already an uprated engine and now I'm after some hard data (comparison video) to preferably the 205 hull so I can show the company that did the conversion that they need to fix it.

And to the "just get a newer one" crew, a new prostar here cost the equivalent of around $150k (£110k GBP) without any options, and has a delivery date of circa 2023. The used boat stock here is extremely low. even the 2014-2019 prostars - if you can find one for sale - come up for $80k and they're typically high hours ex club boats.
        What prop is on the 205? A 13x12 should get you up to speed in short order (no pun intended) or a 14x18 for the 1.5:2.

93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

13x13 original prop and a 1:1 trans

Comment

We had a couple of service trucks with propane conversions back in the mid 90’s and they were definitely down on power compared to the gas motors (all 350 cid).
            Some estimates are ~ 15 to 20 percent power loss unless you build the motor specifically for propane with higher compression, different camshaft, more timing advance etc.
            I’m with Waterlogged on trying different props but might suggest something with even less pitch like an Acme 543 or 917 to start with iOS your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree with all, what prop are you running now, whats ur rpm at 36mph, try a c&c prop like an acme 543 or OJ props. Call OJ props and they will identify a prop that will help. The right prop will give better whole shot, but will shave some speed off at WOT.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                Agree with all, what prop are you running now, whats ur rpm at 36mph, try a c&c prop like an acme 543 or OJ props. Call OJ props and they will identify a prop that will help. The right prop will give better whole shot, but will shave some speed off at WOT.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                Nettles dot com for best pricing.

93 190
                (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by BigGixxerFixxer View Post
                  We had a couple of service trucks with propane conversions back in the mid 90’s and they were definitely down on power compared to the gas motors (all 350 cid).
                  Some estimates are ~ 15 to 20 percent power loss unless you build the motor specifically for propane with higher compression, different camshaft, more timing advance etc.
                  I’m with Waterlogged on trying different props ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Agree and was my first thought.

93 190
                  (safe click)

Comment

1600 is short. 8 ball?

Comment

My '99 PS205 with the LTR330 will hit 36 way faster than anyone I know can hold on.. We run an ACME 13x12 (541 i think..?). It will hit 43 faster than I can get out the wake for footing...
                      Cheers

Mark

'99 Mastercraft ProStar 205 330-LTR

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                        1600 is short. 8 ball?
                        nope, a 6 ball standard course.

Thats the UK for you tbh, it's quite long compared to some.

pre conversion it was a rocket, full throttle start would shove any loose ski's or whatever to the rear.

it;s the standard 13x13 prop, top speed used to be 47mph (gps) now it will only do 38mph without anyone on the back.

I've had propane before on cars and while it looses a bit, never like its had a transplant from 350 to a 215cu engine

Comment

You really can't compare cars to boats in terms of how engine output affects performance. The other boats you mentioned that get up to speed quicker on your lake, are they also using propane?
                          -----------------------------------
                          Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
                          Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
                          Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Originally posted by chrislandy View Post
                            nope, a 6 ball standard course.

Thats the UK for you tbh, it's quite long compared to some.
                            So prop to get faster acceleration so long as you can still get to 36 top end.

Push to have an 8 ball course installed - in an 8 ball course there are 4 balls used both directions but there are also 4 balls 2 on each side that are only used as 5 and 6 ball - meaning the first two balls of 8 both directions you don't turn.

This means 6 ball and exit gate happen and then the boat just basically stops. But this can give you an extra few hundred feet on both end to get to speed and set up.

Skier just needs to learn what the gate is.

Comment

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post
                              You really can't compare cars to boats in terms of how engine output affects performance. The other boats you mentioned that get up to speed quicker on your lake, are they also using propane?
                              Yup, they're all SN though, some bubble butts, slopey rears, and a few 200's. some with injection, some with impco same as mine. so ranging from early 1990's to current

Comment

Working...
                              X