Night Surfing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Surfing?

How many out here are night surfing, and what setup seems to work best?

I've seen some using stern tower lights and riders w/ glow sticks.

Curious, is that legal in your State and/or Lake?

Comment

Not legal here, so I obviously have never done it

But I heard from a friend that they had the best luck with putting a towel over the instrument cluster to blackout the dash (for driver viz), glow sticks on vests and on the board, one of those powerfull spotlight flashlights just in case you need it to search (never had to use it).

Underwater lights only go so far... they are not the best at lighting up the wave completely, but are a nice touch.

Try to keep other sources of light low, as not to shine in the surfers eyes... like some transom lights. But for the most part, depending on the moon light, your eyes will adjust.
      The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

Night Surfing?

One should not break the law and do dangerous things, but when you do follow the above guidelines.

Next full moon is July 23rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Law here is you can tow 1 hour past sunset.

Not sure if the law applies if there is no rope.

Comment

One of the funniest lake memories probably 10 years ago ... we were, hypothetically speaking, out at night and our friend Theresa was up ... now she hates swimming at night ... so she falls and we idle back to get here ... i tell the driver to not start the engine and get another to give her some instructions ...

So i carefully slip into the water from the bow ... swim back and there of course the underwater lights illuminate her legs kicking softly

Like a scene out of jaws i grab her legs and yank her down!

I can still hear her screaming as i pulled her under water

And yes ... she did pee on me

Comment

Bad idea all around, sorry. There are lake idiots out there who can't navigate properly with Port and Stbd running lights in a crossing situation much less NOT to run over a downed surfer at night with a Glow Stick?

And all instrument lights on a boat at night should be RED backlit for enhanced night vision. That's why all ships bridges and aircraft flight decks have RED lights in the overhead for night vision.
              1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

We stick a glow stick in a helmet. The Narwahl!
                Attached Files
                '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Originally posted by 2RLAKE View Post
                  One of the funniest lake memories probably 10 years ago ... we were, hypothetically speaking, out at night and our friend Theresa was up ... now she hates swimming at night ... so she falls and we idle back to get here ... i tell the driver to not start the engine and get another to give her some instructions ...

So i carefully slip into the water from the bow ... swim back and there of course the underwater lights illuminate her legs kicking softly

Like a scene out of jaws i grab her legs and yank her down!

I can still hear her screaming as i pulled her under water

And yes ... she did pee on me
                  Like button!
                  '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

I’ve done it and we used the docking lights to locate rider. When surfing we used the aft docking and underwater lights. We had no issues and also did it when there was some moon light.

Comment

Add this to the list of "STUPID" things I have done in my life! Never again, used the glow sticks, covered the dash, underwater lights on, rear facing, forward facing lights if needed.

Never ever again... One, it was not really that much fun, two, it really was not that much fun, and a big three - So freaking stressful for the Driver ME!!! Worried about running ashore, hitting the rider, someone especially a bass boat running full out (they all seem to do this at night on our lake) hitting the boat or fallen rider! Just not worth it - Stay on your deck, have some shots, tell stories, hoot & holler all you want, just don't do it on the water, please!

Air Care has already been to our lake twice this year, and the summer is only mid way!

Comment

I'm going to sound like an old man here but this is dumb, no wait this is really stupid, especially if there is ANYONE drinking. I.E. rider. Don't do this.

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a scrooge.... I'll admit, I probably would have thought this sounded like fun in my younger and dumber years... but now, all I think is what could go wrong with reduced visibility, and especially, how this only adds one more annoyance for lakefront owners already watching the sports every move.

As if many of them aren't already worked up enough about some folks pushing huge rollers way too close to their docks all day, the last thing they need is loud music, boat noise, and hootin' and hollerin' all hours of the night. Just my $0.02.

Comment

This is how people get killed and boats end up half way up the bank.

Idiotic antics such as this are what lead to our sport getting a bad name and being banned from lakes

Comment

OP's user name is badinlake

Comment

Working...
                              X