No announcement yet.

Night Surfing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrooge, or sage old man, eye of the beholder I suppose. Like 86, there was a time in my life I would have done something like this. But with age comes experience, and an increased awareness of one's own mortality. All I can think of is "it's all fun and games, until it's not." Just too many ways this can go horribly wrong, even with everyone's best intentions. Lots of other ways to have fun after dark that don't have such dire potential consequences.
    Jerry

2020 X22
    2018 XT22
    2014 Aqua Patio
    2003 Malibu Response LXi
    2001 Malibu Sunsetter
    1978 Ski Supreme

Comment

in this case "Just say no" applies. Boating at night is bad enough, surfing at night is stupid

Comment

You want there to be more surf bans on lakes? Because this is how you get more surf bans on lakes. It’s an uphill battle as it is. And on top of that, it’s stupid. Surfing isn’t dangerous at all during daylight hours. I understand the urge to make it more edgy, but this is NOT the way. Try wakeboarding instead. Don’t be “that guy”.

Comment

Originally posted by dvsone79 View Post
          You want there to be more surf bans on lakes? Because this is how you get more surf bans on lakes. It’s an uphill battle as it is. And on top of that, it’s stupid. Surfing isn’t dangerous at all during daylight hours. I understand the urge to make it more edgy, but this is NOT the way. Try wakeboarding instead. Don’t be “that guy”.
          ^^^ This

Comment

I think surfing at night is the best idea. A little Darwin effect and it keeps the surfers from ruining miles of good water with rollers when the skiers and wakeboarder are trying to ride....
            2005 X45
            2009 X45
            2018 X46
            2022 XStar-S

Comment

I don’t do it anymore, but I used to. Had rear facing tower lights (OEM MC), led speaker rings, underwater lights and a hand held spot light. Totally doable that way.
              Attached Files
              Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
              Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
              2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
              For Sale:
              2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Originally posted by WakePowell View Post
                I think surfing at night is the best idea. A little Darwin effect and it keeps the surfers from ruining miles of good water with rollers when the skiers and wakeboarder are trying to ride....
                LOL, I guess there’s always a bright side!

Comment

Originally posted by dvsone79 View Post
                  Going to sound like an old man here but what they heck I am 60 and so yeah, I agree, this is dumb. You want ruin things for everyone then this is a good way to go about it.

Years ago there were some idiots wakeboarding regularly on a lake in my area at like midnight to 2 am and residents had enough of it. Because they never got caught the residents took matters into their own hand and a rope was strategically placed in the water and the wakeboarders wound it around their prop good and tight. Attached to the rope was several notes that said next time there will be hunks of wood with nails attached to the rope. They got the message.

Comment

Originally posted by H2ORidr View Post
                    Going to sound like an old man here but what they heck I am 60 and so yeah, I agree, this is dumb. You want ruin things for everyone then this is a good way to go about it.

Years ago there were some idiots wakeboarding regularly on a lake in my area at like midnight to 2 am and residents had enough of it. Because they never got caught the residents took matters into their own hand and a rope was strategically placed in the water and the wakeboarders wound it around their prop good and tight. Attached to the rope was several notes that said next time there will be hunks of wood with nails attached to the rope. They got the message.
                    Yeah I agree with this. I think maybe extending the day into night is one thing (just one more run kinda thing) but starting the session purposely well after dark is asking for trouble.
                    2010 X-15
                    SOLD 1994 205
                    2011 Pathfinder
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
                    1 kid in college

Comment

Geez, what lake was that? So no one was bright enough to just call the sheriff's office?

Wood with nails? Sounds like attempted murder. I think if I was one of the wakeboarders I'd want to update the graphics on the vigilante residents boats with my ten gauge.

Comment

Good thing they didn't catch a different boat!

Putting a rope in the water intentionally is as dumb as wakeboarding at 2am.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
                          Good thing they didn't catch a different boat!

Putting a rope in the water intentionally is as dumb as wakeboarding at 2am.
                          I don't believe this story. H2O reeeks of total BS in each post. I wish he was still banned.

Comment

Originally posted by RxMC View Post
                            Geez, what lake was that? So no one was bright enough to just call the sheriff's office?

Wood with nails? Sounds like attempted murder. I think if I was one of the wakeboarders I'd want to update the graphics on the vigilante residents boats with my ten gauge.
                            It was a big lake and the sheriff either did not care most nights or could not catch them. Nobody is going to die with a rope and some boards suck on a prop, but it sure does take out a straight shaft and trash a prop. I've seen what 3 ski ropes and solid handles can do to a prop when they get run over at once and it was ugly.

There are people that simply do not listen. Our lake is super low right now and yet the b-*** fishermen are still powering onto their trailers despite signs telling them to stop. A dock installation company had to dig out the area with a shovel this morning so their lift barge could pick up a new boat lift off a trailer for install. And despite constant talking to an warnings there is a guy that uses a distant family member's dock as his base of operations every weekend and he runs full ballast surfing and at other times double tubes behind his MC and he does it 75-100 feet off of shore. The jerk just will not listen. People stand on their docks and scream at him, they go to his boat and ask him to move away from shore, and he still just does what he wants. Sheriff talked to him once about it and he told the sheriff "prove it!" That jerk gets in his boat and the rest of the lake residents just start to seethe.

Comment

Wow, this sounds like the kind of story you joke about while sitting on the dock while watching someone else surfing after midnight, BUT NEVER DO. The kind of story that starts with “Ya know what, those idiots sure piss me off, someone autta…” and ends with “…that would really fix their wagon!”

There is a big difference between someone getting hurt due to foolishly breaking a rule and intentionally doing something that is likely to result in at least property damage, or worse yet injure, maim or kill someone. Maliciously deploying an unmarked hazard of any kind into a navigable body of water should carry some pretty significant penalties (if it doesn’t already). Also, depending on the body of water, that penalty might be federal.

—Sky
                              ------------------------------------------------
                              2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
                              2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

I rode over a spring gun on my MX bike when I was in high school. It didn't fire, presumably because some PETA *** clown constructed it. We were riding in a mining area with permission. Some people thought there was a protected species of land turtle there (there wasn't). It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Also, you can't intentionally injure someone, even a trespasser. First year tort law.

Comment

Working...
                                X