Yellowing of gelcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowing of gelcoat

Hello all I'm hoping to order a new boat with the Silver metal flake on the exterior and came across a few threads on Yellowing in the gelcoat. Apparently it's particularly noticeable with this colour.

Has anyone experienced this lately? This is a real bummer for me as was planning on having mostly a silver metal flake exterior and my boat is outside for most of the summer, I don't want to deal with ordering and using a custom water line cover if possible.

Has anyone experienced this with different colours?

I've had 4 Silverflake boats and have not experienced this, fwiw. I know others have.
    Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

I have a 2019 X22 with silver flake and experienced the yellowing first hand. My situation was a little different in that I believe it was caused by sitting on the dealers's lot prior to purchase. I was lucky enough to have facts to back up my position, so MC ended up respraying the gelcoat under warranty. If your boat sits outside most of the summer with direct exposure, I would not recommend silver flake. The one year warranty on gelcoat states it does not cover UV fading and discoloration, so I would not risk it. Just my opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by stuartjr View Post
        I have a 2019 X22 with silver flake and experienced the yellowing first hand. My situation was a little different in that I believe it was caused by sitting on the dealers's lot prior to purchase. I was lucky enough to have facts to back up my position, so MC ended up respraying the gelcoat under warranty. If your boat sits outside most of the summer with direct exposure, I would not recommend silver flake. The one year warranty on gelcoat states it does not cover UV fading and discoloration, so I would not risk it. Just my opinion though.
        ^ ^ this

US $0.02

93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by stuartjr View Post
          I remember your story and am glad that it worked out for you, and it's a tough one to argue. My boats were more sheltered - they didn't stay outside every day.

With that said, your story is one of the few I've heard about. If OP wants to be totally safe, stay away from Silverflake.

Comment

appreciate this guys thanks. a bit of a bummer as I've always wanted the silver flake colour.

other colours are less noticeable?

Anyone have any photos showing the yellowing? how bad are we talking about?

Comment

My X23 had yellowing of the silver flake on the stern. The previous owner left it on a lift with direct sun exposure. It also had the protective film on the stern so it only yellowed where it was not protected. Once I removed the protective film, I was able to wet sand and polish out all the yellow.

My current x24 has silver flake. So far no yellowing, but I do keep it fully protected from the sun when on the lift.

My theory is that the damaging UV is reflected from the silver flake and it yellows clear gel coat. I think you just have to consider how much the boat will sit in the sun before ordering the silver flake. It does not scare me, but I am proactive to keep the sun off the boat when no being used.
              05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
              15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

My X23 has silver flake and no yellowing for me. It sits on a lift through the summer and inside storage through the winter. It faces North so the rear only sees sun in the morning time.

Comment

A waterline cover from skiboatcovers.com should protect it so it will never yellow.

Comment

If the flake gets enough sun that it will yellow, I'd also be concerned with any other gel oxidizing. I'd get the colors I want, and would want to use the waterline cover. I know OP doesn't want to deal with waterline cover, if possible.

Comment

I feel like the care of silver flake is not much different then other colors. Keep it waxed and avoid unnecessary sun exposure for extended periods of time. What concerns me in the case of the OP is not wanting to use a waterline cover. Depending on how the sun hits the boat, the factory cover may actually make it worse. In my case, the boat sat on the lot with the factory over on for an extended period of time. The flake that was protected by the cover didn't yellow, the exposed flake did. This created a visible line down the side of the boat. Had all the silver flake yellowed evenly, it would not have been noticeable to me. If you are going to try this, make sure you remove all stickers, transom protection, etc so that nothing is covered up. On the new boats, the transom protection does not go under the grab handles, so it will yellow while the rest will not. I would also recommend waxing the crap out of it on a regular basis. Good luck.

Comment

I have 2015 X23 that is kept on a covered lift and has a full waterline cover. I do have a slight yellow in my gel for the silverflake and I'm MCOCD to the max about the boat.

This spot is located on the top of the deck and get directs exposure when using the boat. I have ZERO oxidation on this boat and all the other gel on the boat looks flawless.

Just my .02, if the boat is left on a lift and not protected on the sides, do yourself a favor and buy a waterline cover. We had a custom full waterline cover made as my boats gets direct west and east sun on both sides of the hull. This has really maintained the outside of the boat and kept the shine.

Comment

my boat is in a slip for the season but not on a lift. Are there waterline covers for this scenario? Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by bob93789 View Post
                            my boat is in a slip for the season but not on a lift. Are there waterline covers for this scenario? Any ideas?

Maybe a cover w side curtains that are just above waterline? Would need to measure from rubrail to waterline in a few spots to be able to communicate to the cover shop what you need.

Comment

Working...
                            X