Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ilmor oil filter holder - do you like it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ilmor oil filter holder - do you like it?

    I'm sick of the pain in the butt oil filter location on my 209/LTR. I've tried the milk jugs, zip lock bags, and other tricks. With the routing of the shower and blower hoses on mine, it just doesn't work. So, I'm determined to do a remote oil filter install when I change it before winter.

    I like the look and functionality of the Ilmor inverted filter holder: https://parts.ilmor.com/shop/base-en...-filter-mount/

    I could fab a mount and it would sit behind the starboard cylinder head. Then use a remote filter adapter and some hoses with the appropriate fittings. Questions for those of you with this mount...

    Do you like it?
    Do you attach a hose from the filter holder drain thru the boat drain plug only when changing oil, or is it permanently attached with a threaded fitting like the oil pan drain hose?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Finnsdad View Post
    I'm sick of the pain in the butt oil filter location on my 209/LTR. I've tried the milk jugs, zip lock bags, and other tricks. With the routing of the shower and blower hoses on mine, it just doesn't work. So, I'm determined to do a remote oil filter install when I change it before winter.

    I like the look and functionality of the Ilmor inverted filter holder: https://parts.ilmor.com/shop/base-en...-filter-mount/

    I could fab a mount and it would sit behind the starboard cylinder head. Then use a remote filter adapter and some hoses with the appropriate fittings. Questions for those of you with this mount...

    Do you like it?
    Do you attach a hose from the filter holder drain thru the boat drain plug only when changing oil, or is it permanently attached with a threaded fitting like the oil pan drain hose?
    My 2018 with the 5.3 GDI came with the Ilmor inverted filter holder. I like it better than the filter being impossible to reach. The factory didn't attach a filter holder drain to the oil filter mount. Usually I can hold a paper towel under it to catch any oil that overflows from the filter into the mount's funnel.

    The engine pan still has an oil drain hose that extends but is not attached to the boat drain plug. I usually connect a threaded fitting for my oil pump to the drain hose and pump it out that way. It's been the cleanest method and quicker than letting the oil drain out with gravity.
    '18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
    (Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
    '16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

    I can help with Klipsch Stereo modifications
    www.chesnuttech.com

    Comment


    • #3
      I love it. Only 1-2 ounces comes out of the filter and thru that little drain hole, since the filter has a rubber check valve on it. Make sure you get filter with this feature.
      Just hold a 1 qt oil bottle or 16oz water bottle under it.

      Comment


      • #4
        on my old 05 supra ssv it had a remote oil filter similar to what Ilmor has. I loved it and never had a mess and made changing the oil a breeze. on my 07 x2 it is a serious pita to change.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
          I love it. Only 1-2 ounces comes out of the filter and thru that little drain hole, since the filter has a rubber check valve on it. Make sure you get filter with this feature.
          Just hold a 1 qt oil bottle or 16oz water bottle under it.
          Thank you, exactly the feedback I'm looking for!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by eecyclone View Post
            My 2018 with the 5.3 GDI came with the Ilmor inverted filter holder. I like it better than the filter being impossible to reach. The factory didn't attach a filter holder drain to the oil filter mount. Usually I can hold a paper towel under it to catch any oil that overflows from the filter into the mount's funnel.

            The engine pan still has an oil drain hose that extends but is not attached to the boat drain plug. I usually connect a threaded fitting for my oil pump to the drain hose and pump it out that way. It's been the cleanest method and quicker than letting the oil drain out with gravity.
            Awesome, thanks! And also thanks for the write up on the tr7. Works great!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Throw a 1 pint mixing cup under the drain and toss your filter in it after.
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                The plus:
                • Easy Access
                • I add a small piece of hose to the drain into a cup
                • No Mess

                The Minus:
                • Remote lines hold dirty Oil
                • No matter How hard I try, even when pulling the filter first @ shut down
                • I always have 1/2 to 3/4 quart of dirty oil I can't remove
                • I use a Harbor Freight Compressed Air extractor, & still can't get 4.5 quarts out

                Comment


                • #9
                  Punch a hole in the top of the filter before you remove it. That will help drain more oil out of it before you remove it.

                  Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Finnsdad View Post
                    I'm sick of the pain in the butt oil filter location on my 209/LTR. I've tried the milk jugs, zip lock bags, and other tricks. With the routing of the shower and blower hoses on mine, it just doesn't work. So, I'm determined to do a remote oil filter install when I change it before winter.

                    I like the look and functionality of the Ilmor inverted filter holder: https://parts.ilmor.com/shop/base-en...-filter-mount/

                    I could fab a mount and it would sit behind the starboard cylinder head. Then use a remote filter adapter and some hoses with the appropriate fittings. Questions for those of you with this mount...

                    Do you like it?
                    Do you attach a hose from the filter holder drain thru the boat drain plug only when changing oil, or is it permanently attached with a threaded fitting like the oil pan drain hose?
                    The relocation kit has a plate that blocks the oil coming out of the bottom (where the filter would go) and has in/out ports, like the fitting for an oil cooler. The kit should come with everything you need, but if you don't like changing the filter now, you'll really hate installing that plate. The good thing- you'll only need to do that once.

                    Mercruiser has the same parts- it doesn't need to be from any particular manufacturer.

                    Personally, I think all vehicles should have this- cars, trucks, boats, etc.

                    https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Bi.../dp/B00FS4LKMU

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JimN View Post
                      The relocation kit has a plate that blocks the oil coming out of the bottom (where the filter would go) and has in/out ports, like the fitting for an oil cooler. The kit should come with everything you need, but if you don't like changing the filter now, you'll really hate installing that plate. The good thing- you'll only need to do that once.

                      Mercruiser has the same parts- it doesn't need to be from any particular manufacturer.

                      Personally, I think all vehicles should have this- cars, trucks, boats, etc.

                      https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Bi.../dp/B00FS4LKMU
                      Jim, I was thinking about using this product to attach to the block. https://www.improvedracing.com/low-p...r-env-191.html

                      Any experience with something like this?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Finnsdad View Post
                        Jim, I was thinking about using this product to attach to the block. https://www.improvedracing.com/low-p...r-env-191.html

                        Any experience with something like this?
                        You need a relocation kit, not the adapter.

                        The price for the one in the link seems too reasonable- if it's accurate, I would say it's a no-brainer for anyone who's tired of the contortions necessary to change their oil. For that matter, I might get one for my van because I need to jack it up to do it and this would make it possible to have clean oil with shorter intervals because the filter could be changed without much work. I used their vehicle check to make sure it will fit the cast iron Chevy engine in your boat by using the '90 Silverado I had and this is the correct part. If you really want the most filtering capability, use the larger PF-1218, rather than the short PF-25 (these came with Pennzoil PZ-3, which is their PF-25 equivalent).

                        https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet
                        Last edited by JimN; 07-21-2021, 10:34 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JimN View Post
                          You need a relocation kit, not the adapter.

                          The price for the one in the link seems too reasonable- if it's accurate, I would say it's a no-brainer for anyone who's tired of the contortions necessary to change their oil. For that matter, I might get one for my van because I need to jack it up to do it and this would make it possible to have clean oil with shorter intervals because the filter could be changed without much work. I used their vehicle check to make sure it will fit the cast iron Chevy engine in your boat by using the '90 Silverado I had and this is the correct part. If you really want the most filtering capability, use the larger PF-1218, rather than the short PF-25 (these came with Pennzoil PZ-3, which is their PF-25 equivalent).

                          https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet
                          I'm basically making my own kit, because I want to use the Ilmor filter holder. So I need an adaptor for a SBC, some custom fit hoses, and the Ilmor holder.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X