Vinyl Seat covers stained by Cover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Seat covers stained by Cover.

I am in the UK. I have a 2005 X7 which I have owned for 11 year. (2nd owner. Had 25 hrs when I bought it.)

The boat has an original black OEM Mastercraft boat cover.

In the summer is stored outside at fresh water lake on a boat lift.

This year as part of "start of season" maintenance I:

Re water-proofed the cover using Fabsil canvas waterproofer. I reproofed whilst cover fully fitted and stretched. There was some leeching of Fabsil through cover.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NgXHrhP9Fb0mn6

Cleaned all the vinyl using Starbright vinyl cleaner and then protected vinyl using Protectant 303.

In recent weeks we have had hot weather. I now have a real problem with the vinyl being stained/discoloured at the cover/vinyl touch point. See photos

All covers and seams in excellent condition apart from new staining

Can anyone recommend/advise how to remove this discolouration? I have tried everything I have to no effect

My Hull Serial number is USMBCMXHD6L405

How can I get material spec for my build and or replacement covers/skins?

Regards
    Ian
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eurosysytem0; 07-25-2021, 11:30 AM. Reason: Correct error

Leave it in the direct sun for a while (without the cover) and it should eventually go away. This has been a discussion for years and no one really has a definitive answer as to what causes it.
    -Tolman
    '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
    '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Bump
      Can anyone provide any other solutions?
      Any advice on how to identify and source fabric appropriate to my hull appreciated.
      Ian

Comment

Just as TolCarMan said, leave it in the sun. Mine does the same thing. 20 minutes it is all gone. It is chemicals within the vinyl, not the cover (other than being black and taking on heat), that create the stain. Also as mentioned above, this discussion is all over the site, there is no other solution.

Comment

Found this on web site Sailrite:

What about chemical pinking?

Although bacterial pinking is the most common type of pink staining, chemical pinking is another possibility for the presence of stains on your boat, but only under certain conditions. David Kraft explained that chemical pinking is caused by excessive heat, which causes the glue in your vinyl to melt — thus leading to a pink or red color on the surface of the material. Essentially, when another material, such as a boat cover, is left in contact with vinyl upholstery and then exposed to excessive heat and lack of air, the result is chemical pinking. While bacterial pinking is very blotchy in appearance, chemical pinking will look more like a pink smear. Chemical pinking is a much more rare occurrence than bacterial pinking and usually occurs in more arid climates such as Texas, Arizona, California and Nevada where there is little humidity to cool the air.

The simplest way to prevent chemical pinking is to create a barrier for airflow between your boat seating and your boat cover, especially if you’re in a hot climate. An easy fix is to put a towel over the top of your vinyl seating between your seats and your boat cover, focusing on the areas where your cover comes into direct contact with the vinyl (such as the corners). It can be difficult to remove this type of pinking once it’s occurred. Although Kraft suggested that, "Sun will fade away some, if not all, of the visual effects of chemical pinking, however, it's important to note that it will always reappear once the boat is in a dark place for more than 3-4 days or a cover is placed back over the seats. In other words, whenever the boat is removed from sunlight for more than a couple days, the visual effects of chemical pinking will always return, without exception.” To permanently remove chemical pinking, your next plan of action would be to replace the vinyl.

Sounds like my vinyl is "toast"

leads me back to how do I source the material spec and supply. Will MC have the spec based on Hull Number?

Comment

I use Simple Green with a soft bristle scrub brush on my 06 X9 - Current boat for 2 years
            and on my 05 X9 I had for 11 years- never an issue

Your seat material is the same as was in my 05 X9

I also use a conditioner afterwards as I think the Simple green dries the material abit

Never any issues and the seats are still in great condition

Worth a try- I know for a fact this method would clean up the seat areas with the long grains as they hold dirt
            Mike D.
            05- X9
            06- X9

Comment

Like it has been said. Its very common leave in direct sun and it will go away. put the cover back on and it will probably come back. I remember someone saying something about putting towels down on this area but not sure if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow X9 View Post
                I use Simple Green with a soft bristle scrub brush on my 06 X9 - Current boat for 2 years
                and on my 05 X9 I had for 11 years- never an issue

Your seat material is the same as was in my 05 X9

I also use a conditioner afterwards as I think the Simple green dries the material abit

Never any issues and the seats are still in great condition

Worth a try- I know for a fact this method would clean up the seat areas with the long grains as they hold dirt
                When you say use Simple Green is this to avoid the stains occurring (ie general maintenance) or to remove the stains.

I have cleaned and protected my vinyl for years and had no problems with this "pinking". However, as I said when I opened thread, we (in the Uk) have had some hot weather and my boat spends 5 days a week under a MC OEM "black" cover outside on a boat lift. Hence the reason it appears to be "chemical" staining rather than "bacterial" staining

I would still appreciate advice on how to get definitive vinyl material spec.

Comment

Originally posted by eurosysytem0 View Post

I've never been able to figure out how to get the original vinyl manufacturer or specifications. I have been able to get new covers from MasterCraft when the boat is still in production or shortly out of production, but not when the boat is more than a year or two out of productions. Maybe others have had better luck, but given the lack of response, I'm thinking that not the case.

You're best shot is to find a good marine vinyl shop and just have them do it. Finding a good shop is the tricky part. Best option is to run across a boat that's been re-upholstered where you can see the quality of the work, and inquire who did it and use the same shop.
                  -----------------------------------
                  Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
                  Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
                  Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

I agree. If you are going to redo any part of the vinyl, redo the whole thing, or you are going to have this issue on other areas that were not replaced. Good opportunity to update the interior.

Comment

From my experience, I would agree that you should locate a reputable shop first then see what they recommend - even if you could get some kind of spec, they will likely work with materials they have available/can procure. If you develop high confidence in the upholstery shop, that will be your best scenario. For my interior, the replacement vinyl quality is improved over the original '02 factory stuff that was somewhat sketchy during those years.

Good luck !

Comment

OEM seat skins are typically available from MC for about 5 years beyond the model year of the boat.
                        The odds of finding your specific vinyl are pretty slim at this point - and you’d be better off using a newer vinyl anyway due to the nature of the chemical composition of that original vinyl (which is what allows the pinking to happen).
                        If you’re still determined to try finding the original vinyl you could check with Great Lakes Skipper.
                        Last edited by Skyskiguy; 07-27-2021, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eurosysytem0 View Post
                          When you say use Simple Green is this to avoid the stains occurring (ie general maintenance) or to remove the stains.

I have cleaned and protected my vinyl for years and had no problems with this "pinking". However, as I said when I opened thread, we (in the Uk) have had some hot weather and my boat spends 5 days a week under a MC OEM "black" cover outside on a boat lift. Hence the reason it appears to be "chemical" staining rather than "bacterial" staining

Simple Green and a soft bristle scrub brush to remove- and i'm refereing to the long grain pattern seat area- the stained closed cell area where stained by cover or what ever it was- not so sure there, but worth a try- and yes like others say- sun helps alot

And yes i'm familiar with HOT weather- I'm in Texas
                          Mike D.
                          05- X9
                          06- X9

Comment

Working...
                          X