Slightly bent the prop blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly bent the prop blades

Bent my prop a tiny bit. Boated a new lake today in Northern WI. Tried to do my research and looked at the depth map ahead of time. It's a fairly deep lake down to 70 ft but had a couple shallow spots. Forgot to recheck this am and hit some rocks (I think) in a shallow spot in the middle of the lake. So that's on me, should have rechecked this am, but it would have been nice for them to mark that with a buoy.

Anyways, boat ran fine for about 2 hours afterwards including some surfing. No vibrations. No funny noises.

I assume I'm OK to leave things as is for a bit, but wanted to check with the group to see if anyone thinks I should replace this ASAP.

TIA!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have seen less damage with more consequences. If there is no vibration, I would not detour a weekend. However I would get that repaired as soon as possible. Your call.

That can be repaired without replacement

93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

OJ should be able to fix that one up. If you're in WI, I assume you don't have a lot of time left this summer. I agree that should be a winter time fix if there's no vibration.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Barely worth getting fixed IMHO. If there’s no annoying vibration, don’t worry about it.
        1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

I thought my vintage OJ on my 2001 was great, one spring day I hit a submerged limb and put the slightest little ding in my prop. Still ran great and no vibration but I needed more RPM to function the same.
          I ordered a new Wakepro prop and took advantage of OJ’s free fix a prop with the purchase of a new one. The performance increase was very noticeable but the 30-40% decrease in fuel burn absolutely amazed me.
          Lots of stuff in the water this spring and I know I ground a couple sticks down with my new prop, visibly and running my fingers over the blades I couldn’t find anything wrong. I noticed my RPM/performance was slightly off but mostly noticed the increased fuel burn. I double checked With WOT RPM’s that were too high. Sent it back to OJ with a 2 day turnaround and I’ve got my RPM/performance back and most notably my fuel sipping has returned.
          Finish your weekend but it doesn't take a lot of hours to pay for a prop repair in fuel and maintenance down the road

Comment

Thanks all for the input. This is my first MC so new to all of this so appreciate hearing from those who know what they are doing haha.

Since I am a noob, who is OJ?

My plan is to leave it be for now since next week I'm off and we are taking the boat back up north to the lakes. Hoping it makes it thru the week and I can get it fixed or replaced after that.

Thanks again!

Comment

It seems that the two biggest players in inboard propellers are OJ Props and Acme. Both are fine, reputable companies. You won't go wrong with either one. My impression is that OJ seems to be a little more user friendly.

https://www.ojprops.com

Comment

OJ is who made your prop. What boat do you have?

Comment

Order a new prop from OJ and they will repair your current one for no cost. Now you have a spare in case the next hit is harder.

Comment

Originally posted by MCEC View Post
                    Thanks all for the input. This is my first MC so new to all of this so appreciate hearing from those who know what they are doing haha.

Since I am a noob, who is OJ?

My plan is to leave it be for now since next week I'm off and we are taking the boat back up north to the lakes. Hoping it makes it thru the week and I can get it fixed or replaced after that.

Thanks again!

I guess if your plan is to sell the boat in the near future, I wouldn’t worry about it only being out a little. But I wouldn’t put additional wear n tear on the drivetrain with a dinged up prop.
                    You’re not driving a $5k bay liner, you just spent 100grand on a new wakeboat.
                    I’d recommend taking care of it like a $100k investment, not like an old Bayliner.
                    If you get after it, you might even find a used prop that will work (dia/pitch) provided you like the performance of the current prop, for cheaper.
                    Or find someone to repair/balance it. You’re in the Midwest. Lots of prop shops.
                    '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

I see you have a new boat, so it looks like you already have a wakepro prop. I've never dealt with ACME, but when I hit a log Eric at OJ hooked me up with everything I needed, even the parts they didn't make, and I had it all at my house in a few days. Their service was top notch.

Comment

Originally posted by ewilcox11 View Post
                        OJ is who made your prop. What boat do you have?

2021 nxt22. I'll send a message to OJ this week.

Do I bother my dealer to replace the prop or is this an easy do it yourself job? Full disclosure, I'm not a guy who is super handy/tinkers with machines. Have some basic tools and can do straight forward home projects but nothing fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by MCEC View Post
                          2021 nxt22. I'll send a message to OJ this week.

Do I bother my dealer to replace the prop or is this an easy do it yourself job? Full disclosure, I'm not a guy who is super handy/tinkers with machines. Have some basic tools and can do straight forward home projects but nothing fancy.
                          An easy DIY.
                          Remove the cotter pin (re-usable)
                          Loosen nut (re-usable)
                          Loosen the prop from the shaft (nut still installed)
                          Remove the nut
                          Remove the prop
                          Replace the prop (snug up to the point of original location on the shaft)
                          Re-install the nut
                          Re-install the cotter pin
                          Done deal

Put the prop on with the manufacture's name and prop size to the outside to read.

Some props are a little contrary and may need a prop removal tool. There is an easy alternative tool right in your tool box; adjustable wrench and a dead blow hammer.

93 190
                          (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                            An easy DIY.
                            Remove the cotter pin (re-usable)
                            Loosen nut (re-usable)
                            Loosen the prop from the shaft (nut still installed)
                            Remove the nut
                            Remove the prop
                            Replace the prop (snug up to the point of original location on the shaft)
                            Re-install the nut
                            Re-install the cotter pin
                            Done deal

Put the prop on with the manufacture's name and prop size to the outside to read.

Some props are a little contrary and may need a prop removal tool. There is an easy alternative tool right in your tool box; adjustable wrench and a dead blow hammer.

Ok that seems easy enough even for someone like me to handle haha.

Thanks a bunch to everyone for the tips. It's greatly appreciated!

Comment

MCEC...if you wander over towards St. Paul from Eau Claire, I'm happy to show how to do this on my boat in my garage.

I bought a used ACME (my first ACME) 2241 from a local gent recently for a smoking deal. I've since bumped the bottom twice with it and have damage similar to yours (very slight). I was able to straighten it out the first time and will attempt again after yesterday's "Let's polish some lake rocks" fun.
                              Former: 2007 X15

Comment

Working...
                              X