Xstar vs x22 surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xstar vs x22 surf

I demonstrated a new Xstar, son wakeboarded I surfed, wave and wake were awesome.
    I have never been in an X22. I was surprised with the size and push of the surf wave on Xstar compared to X23. I plan on demoing an X22, should I expect it to be similar to the Xstar or more like the X23 with 400 pounds of extra weight.
    I noticed less bow rise in the star, how is the bow rise on the x22 compared to star and x23
    I really liked the xstar, like the pricing on x22 better
    Xstar had the 7.4 loved that power although I won’t order it because of cost

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Originally posted by Lakelife View Post
    I demonstrated a new Xstar, son wakeboarded I surfed, wave and wake were awesome.
    I have never been in an X22. I was surprised with the size and push of the surf wave on Xstar compared to X23. I plan on demoing an X22, should I expect it to be similar to the Xstar or more like the X23 with 400 pounds of extra weight.
    I noticed less bow rise in the star, how is the bow rise on the x22 compared to star and x23
    I really liked the xstar, like the pricing on x22 better
    Xstar had the 7.4 loved that power although I won’t order it because of cost

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Waves are fairly similar between the two. X22 wave is a little steeper and a little shorter than the XStar, but not a whole lot of difference. X22 is maybe a little more weight sensitive, but is still a very well balanced boat, and much easier to balance, and much less weight sensitive than the X23.

Wakeboard wake is a bit different between them. X22 has a great wake shape at intermediate and advanced speeds (20-24mph). The XStar has a better ability to tow all skill levels with a clean wake from 17 mph and up. The transition is longer and more friendly for all skill levels which also provides a longer and more forgiving landing zone on the other side.

Don't misinterpret that as "the X22 doesn't have a great wakeboard wake". It absolutely does. Its just not as versatile and forgiving for all skill levels.

The XStar definitely runs with the bow quite a bit lower than the X22. That is one major thing I like in the XStar, is that i can sit in the seat without the bolster and have a nice view through the windshield when towing. In the X22 I am mostly bolstered up and looking over the windshield.

One other thing the XStar excels at, is loaded handling. The XStar has a giant rudder compared to the X22, and steers much better and quicker than the X22 when loaded. Also, because the rudder in the XStar extends fully to the bottom of the prop stream, the steering balance/steering pull is more neutral (the X22, and pretty much every other inboard on earth, has a rudder that is in more of the upper prop stream than the bottom). Basically, at higher speeds, the XStar steering has a more even feel, and doesn't pull as much.

Most of the other differences between them is aesthetic, and the Star comes standard with more options.

While I would definitely say the XStar has quite a few little things that make it a slightly better performing boat, the differences between them are very minimal, and there is a price difference between them.

Bang for the buck? I don't know......... They are darn close. There isnt much price difference between them, and there also isnt much performance difference between them. I used to say "If you want back seats, get a X22. If you want a bigger bow and rear storage, get the XStar". But the new XStar S eliminates that as a valid suggestion.

Comment

I have a 2020 XStar. My neighbor got a 2021 X22 this summer that I have surfed behind several times. Both have great surf waves that are close enough (and adjustable enough) that I wouldn't chose one boat over the other based on surf waves. Fourforty's comparison of other aspects of the boats is better than I can give you. I would consider the factors he mentions over surf wave quality in choosing.
      Those were the 2 boats I was considering when I purchased. Price was the deciding factor between the 2 boats for me. I got my XStar for cheaper than I could get an X22 at the time.

Comment

440 thank for the detailed reply, I was hoping you would reply as I read all your posts. I did notice when surf tabs are deployed at slow speeds you can turn either way to pick up rider and over all boat handles a lot better than other boats. First thing I noticed was lack of bow rise which is nice especially for my small wife who drives for me everyday. Cost wise appox. 10% difference.
        Space wrangler lucky you getting an Xstar for less than a X22, x22 specs look so similar to x23 with extra ballast that scares me a little, we love our x23 a lot of difference in price to upgrade to x22,
        I have been following x22 reviews here and believe they are different boats just similar size.
        Problem is dealer has no x22 in stock to demo for another month. X22 would fit in my 25’ garage not sure about Xstar.

Very much appreciate the knowledgeable replies.

Comment

LL, you are welcome aboard our X22 in Sandpoint on LPO Sept 7-12. MM also has 440’s prior XStar on CDA.

Having spent many an enjoyable outing behind and in both, IME the XStar deserves its flagship status in MC, if not in the segment. MM’s XStar with pro ballast is the best surf wave I’ve had the pleasure of being in.

Our X22 can produce similarly mind blowing surf waves, but it takes medium crew and placement of crew. Wakeboard beginner we just go with no ballast at 18mph. The X22 also benefits from 25% middle tab when at cruising or full speed outings, the XStar does not need it.

Both these new gen X boats and the X24 are an increment up from prior generations, and which is saying a lot. You’ll be happy either way.

Comment

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post

Wakeboard wake is a bit different between them. X22 has a great wake shape at intermediate and advanced speeds (20-24mph). The XStar has a better ability to tow all skill levels with a clean wake from 17 mph and up. The transition is longer and more friendly for all skill levels which also provides a longer and more forgiving landing zone on the other side.

Don't misinterpret that as "the X22 doesn't have a great wakeboard wake". It absolutely does. Its just not as versatile and forgiving for all skill levels.
            This is spot on. I would add that the XStar wakeboard wake has much more transition and hence doesn't feel as steep. It comes down to personal preference. You really cant go wrong here.

Comment

Moose, what a great offer on two beautiful mountain lakes, we are on Shuswap lake in BC. I value your input and enjoy your posts. I think you summed it up for us, 90% of the time it’s wife and I so a light load. When we surfed the Xstar we start at left steep 11.2 mph same as use on X23, I really struggled with the wave, I ended up with 80% ballast mellow 11.6 mph it had tons of push (4people in boat). They are all great boats including the X23
              I have been dealing with Lake House Marine, after getting great service from MMS for years I felt a little lost, met the team from Lake House and they have been awesome.

Comment

2022 vs 2021 has potential to be more of a differentiator than Xstar vs X22 with the change in tabs and actuators. The only 2022 I’ve been behind is the XT24 and it was phenomenal. That being said my comparison is my ‘19 XT23 so the wave might be that good on 2021 X series and stars. I’d be curious to hear fourforty’s thoughts on wave differences between his ‘20 star and ‘22 star.

Comment

I would also be interested to hear about 2020 vs 2222.
                  We decide to order an all white Xstar with coastal blue and white interior.
                  Thanks again for all the feedback and knowledge sharing it really helped with our decision.

Comment

I would also be interested to hear about 2020 vs 2222
                    We decide to order an all white Xstar with coastal blue and white interior.
                    Thanks again for all the feedback and knowledge sharing it really helped with our decision.
                    I don’t think I can wait that long....
                    2019 Xstar

Comment

I'll try to update with how the '22 is when I get it (hopefully very soon). I'm guessing there won't be much difference, but we shall see!

Congrats on the new Star order, Lakelife.

Comment

Thanks 440, we are excited

Comment

Thanks 440, we are excited
                          Do you have the build photos? I am still obsessing over interior colors and would love to see what you chose.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t have build pics, all white hull, genesis coastal blue and a little white on the interior.
                            I believe coastal blue is a new colour for 2222.

Comment

I don’t have build pics, all white hull, genesis coastal blue and a little white on the interior.
                              I believe coastal blue is a new colour for 2222.
                              Good color choice. I saw a 2022 XT24 with coastal blue exterior at my dealer. The color looks even better in person. I bet it will make a great interior color as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0749.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2412905

Comment

Working...
                              X