Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

97 prostar 205 thoughts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 97 prostar 205 thoughts

    I have 97 prostar 205. 800 hrs on the hull. Found out recently that the engine was rebuilt in 2014, the year I bought it. There is a Jasper tag that on it. Called there and they said it was sold in 2014. So about 120-150 hrs on it. Over the last 12 months the boat has a new starter, new risers, new solenoid, new cap, rotor, wires, engine coil. As well as the normal yearly maintenance. Is all of this normal. These repairs were done because the boat wouldn’t start or was not running correctly. I have spent a decent amount of $ over the past year or so. Do you think this normal or? I am considering selling it because all of these repairs that were needed. Is it better to keep it. If I took it to a mastercraft dealer. Could they go through it to see if I need any thing else done for preventative maintenance . My goal is to limit the amount of breakdowns as much as possible or will a brand new boat only do that? Thoughts???

  • #2
    Originally posted by Need a mc View Post
    I have 97 prostar 205. 800 hrs on the hull. Found out recently that the engine was rebuilt in 2014, the year I bought it. There is a Jasper tag that on it. Called there and they said it was sold in 2014. So about 120-150 hrs on it. Over the last 12 months the boat has a new starter, new risers, new solenoid, new cap, rotor, wires, engine coil. As well as the normal yearly maintenance. Is all of this normal. These repairs were done because the boat wouldn’t start or was not running correctly. I have spent a decent amount of $ over the past year or so. Do you think this normal or? I am considering selling it because all of these repairs that were needed. Is it better to keep it. If I took it to a mastercraft dealer. Could they go through it to see if I need any thing else done for preventative maintenance . My goal is to limit the amount of breakdowns as much as possible or will a brand new boat only do that? Thoughts???
    Are these repairs normal? Yes and No. When was the last time these items were replaced? Were they original to the boat? How does it run now?

    Yes, a qualified marine mechanic should be able to go through and identify anything else that might need replacing.

    Where is the boat stored when you're not using it? The dryer you can keep it, the better.

    Almost everything you mentioned is a wear item. If they have never been replaced before, yes I would say that's normal. If they were replaced last year, that would not be normal.
    2001 Prostar 209

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Need a mc View Post
      Over the last 12 months the boat has a new starter, new risers, new solenoid, new cap, rotor, wires, engine coil.
      Was all of this done at once? Does it start and run perfect now but you're just not convinced?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Need a mc View Post
        I have 97 prostar 205. 800 hrs on the hull. Found out recently that the engine was rebuilt in 2014, the year I bought it. There is a Jasper tag that on it.

        Not necessarily a bad engine. I wonder why it was rebuilt, but that is water under the bridge now (improperly winterized, salt use, mechanical failure, sunken boat?). If the newer engine is running fine, then so be it.


        Called there and they said it was sold in 2014. So about 120-150 hrs on it.

        Over the last 12 months the boat has a new starter, new risers, new solenoid (you mean starter relay?) , new cap, rotor, wires, engine coil. As well as the normal yearly maintenance.

        Is all of this normal.

        Yes except for the risers. Those must have been from the original engine, then may or may not have needed replacing. Water in the oil? Why did you decide to replace the risers? Please make sure you put a marine rated starter on the engine. Automotive starters are not acceptable in this application. Same with an alternator.

        These repairs were done because the boat wouldn’t start or was not running correctly.
        OK.
        Risers usually do not impact starting or running aside from leaking water into the engine.


        I have spent a decent amount of $ over the past year or so. Do you think this normal or?

        Yes as to the parts replacement. Nothing that cannot stand replacement somewhere along the line but not necessarily on a 7 year old engine, however, these are wear parts and the starter must also have been from the OEM engine, therefore replacement is not so out of line with age, but I have seen those things go for a lot longer. I suspect water intrusion on the low-lying starter. Still not a red flag for me. Someone has put in a new long block and used older OEM parts from the OEM engine.

        I am considering selling it because all of these repairs that were needed.

        No need to sell now because of that. You have new parts and it is running fine now (?).

        Is it better to keep it.

        If it serves you well, I'd keep the 97 205 long before I'd pay out for a newer one unless that is your thing. Just not for me and the 205 is a good boat all around.


        If I took it to a mastercraft dealer. Could they go through it to see if I need any thing else done for preventative maintenance .

        Maybe but no more than you can learn here by reading the forum. Further in time, if it breaks, who's to predict that it would happen? I am not big on dealer service but that is my approach. Time and money in my pocket. Some things, yes but predictive and preventative maintenance...? Keep using it.

        My goal is to limit the amount of breakdowns as much as possible or will a brand new boat only do that? Thoughts???

        I'd trust a 97 with known history far more than a new boat, not to mention the outlay of cash or commitment on a loan. No way for me. Not from what I read here about new boats.
        Best on the 97 205. Use it and don't worry about breaking. Regular maintenance, fluid changes, impeller changes, and read here to learn a little more about your boat. You can do everything yourself for maintenance and proper winterization. Keep it waxed to prevent oxidation of the gel. One other thing I will mention is to check or keep an eye on the exhaust hoses. After a while, those hoses need replacing even though they look good on the outside, especially if they have been subjected to over heating of the engine. The internal layers will separate and restrict water flow, impacting cooling. All part of keeping the boat in top condition.

        The only way I'd say sell is if you are not willing to care and maintain the boat. It takes time and money but that is part of boat ownership. New ones require the same commitment.

        US $0.02

        Happy boating.

        .
        Last edited by waterlogged882; 08-19-2021, 06:32 AM.
        93 190
        (safe click)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
          One other thing I will mention is to check or keep an eye on the exhaust hoses. After a while, those hoses need replacing even though they look good on the outside, especially if they have been subjected to over heating of the engine. The internal layers will separate and restrict water flow, impacting cooling.
          Who sells exhaust hoses ? I did a quick check on the usual suspects web sites and saw manifolds, risers, no exhaust hoses.
          2000 Prostar 205V

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks all

            2014-2019. - almost no issues.

            Then

            Starter in 2019

            New rotor, cap and wires late last summer
            New risers( old ones looked original and they had a lot of buildup) last fall
            New impeller and Engine coil this spring
            Forgot to mention - I was putting in 87 gas since I bought it - earlier this summer boat would
            Not go above 35- cleaned out the tank and are using 93 now( running good now- learning moment)

            Then just last weekend the solenoid that leads to the starter and the starter went bad- replaced both.

            The boat is on a covered lift when not using it and in a garage all winter.

            Boat is working good now( other than my radio just stopped working - about an hour after the solenoid and starter were replaced)

            Seats and carpet are in really nice shape. Very clean boat.

            Sounds like these are items that these are regular maint items after a while? Or?
            Last edited by Need a mc; 08-19-2021, 08:06 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Need a mc View Post
              Thanks all

              2014-2019. - almost no issues.

              Then

              Starter in 2019

              New rotor, cap and wires late last summer
              New risers( old ones looked original and they had a lot of buildup) last fall
              New impeller and Engine coil this spring
              Forgot to mention - I was putting in 87 gas since I bought it - earlier this summer boat would
              Not go above 35- cleaned out the tank and are using 93 now( running good now- learning moment)

              Then just last weekend the solenoid that leads to the starter and the starter went bad- replaced both.

              The boat is on a covered lift when not using it and in a garage all winter.

              Boat is working good now( other than my radio just stopped working - about an hour after the solenoid and starter were replaced)

              Seats and carpet are in really nice shape. Very clean boat.

              Sounds like these are items that these are regular maint items after a while? Or?
              I'm not sure why the risers were replaced, and your theory on 87 vs 93 octane...not sure that is correct. My ski buddy has an Indmar 5.7 is his '03 Malibu and it screams on 87 octane.
              Regarding the rest of the list.....Those are all normal maintenance items for a 24 year old boat. Actually one of the MOST expensive replacement items is the vinyl upholstery (seats, etc) and carpet - so if that is in really nice shape consider yourself money ahead. You're looking at thousands of dollars if that needed replacing.....

              Radios and other electrical accessories can be somewhat finicky on an older boat. Consider the environment: electronics like dry, stable and cool temps, just the opposite from how we use our boats. Over time the wiring and connections can loosen, corrode, etc. Literally from the battery to every single wire in the boat. Not saying all of that needs replacing, but it's not uncommon to have to deal with some connectivity (ground typically) issues.

              '97 205s are highly sought-after boats, personally I would keep it. I'm reading of newer boats with touch screens going out that are $5K to replace (and the boat won't run without it!).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dpb185 View Post
                Who sells exhaust hoses ? I did a quick check on the usual suspects web sites and saw manifolds, risers, no exhaust hoses.
                Try here or here.

                .
                93 190
                (safe click)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                  Try here or here.

                  .
                  Nice, thanks ! Any way to inspect these ? Disconnect them and look at the insides to see if they are delaminating ?
                  2000 Prostar 205V

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dpb185 View Post
                    Nice, thanks ! Any way to inspect these ? Disconnect them and look at the insides to see if they are delaminating ?
                    That is pretty much the only way. I feel on mine for soft places but that is no guarantee.

                    I will say this; removing the riser and then working with the hose is easier. Same when replacing; put the new hose on the muffler, then the riser, then bolt the riser down last.

                    .
                    Attached Files
                    93 190
                    (safe click)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have a ‘93 ProStar 205 I bought new and still love it. It has 630 hrs. and it looks and runs great. I have also replaced many of the same wear items you mention, but It is way less expensive than payments on a new MC.
                        I agree with waterlogged comments and If you stay ahead of maintenance it will not fail when you need it. I think it is better to replace stuff a little early than miss 3 of 5 of vacation days on the lake because you are not paying attention to it. I spread out my maintenance to avoid having it a chore I regret doing. Some music, a cold beverage, printed research and it can be an enjoyable 3 hours at a time, to change the oil, replace the impeller, work on the teak, or winterize.
                        best of luck.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yes waterlogged is right this year is the year I should inspect risers and hoses... its been a number of years.. on fresh water risers should last indefinitely.. and the hoses should too.. unless it's water's boat [emoji16]

                          Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think it is better to replace stuff a little early than miss 3 of 5 of vacation days on the lake
                            I have a '92 PS 205, so we are I the same boat (pun intended!) It's almost 30 years old, so when the OEM parts give out it's not much of a surprise. The latest is that the 29 year-old OEM alternator just wasn't working right, I was only getting 13.5 volts when the engine was running. With Waterlogged's advice I picked up a new one, the installation was plug and play after working out some wiring questions. The install involved two bolts, one wire. I'm now at 14.2 volts on the dash gauge and at the battery. Cost? $87.

                            It's needed other lovin' since I bought it 8 years ago, but for me its easier, cheaper and more rewarding to fix the old than buy and maintain a new boat.

                            "I spend 90% of my free time messin' around with boats, the other 10% I just waste."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm similar, mine is 25yrs old, new engine 3yrs ago (expected 200hrs by end of season), rebuilt alternator, rebuilt silentmasters, new dog box insulation, renewed hoses, added PP, steering cable - just needs a gearbox rebuild and it's pretty much a new boat except for the hull, throw on a new prop and jobs a good'n

                              BUT the kids are now looking at tournament training so ideally need ZO and the wake on the 205 is huge compared to the PS and nautique 200 / SN, so we're looking to upgrade to a current model PS in the next year or so - I've had mine for 20 years so know it back to front, but times are a changin'

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X