Lady Ski recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Ski recommendation

I searched but didn't find anything close ... but point me to threads if already discussed.

My 63 year old wife loves to slalom ski. She has been doing so for over 55 years, but has always just settled to use the slalom ski from a general use combo pair (currently 25+ year old Connelly's). She is not an aggressive skier, just open water back and forth across the wakes. Skies in the 24-27 mph range. Legs/knees/back are starting to make it a bit harder to get up from behind the boat with deep water starts.

I would like to find a suitable slalom ski to get for her birthday or Christmas, so starting my search early.

She is 5'5" about 125-130 lbs, right foot forward, size 8 narrow, deep water starts, recreational skiing only.

any suggestions???

Have you looked at the HO Hovercraft? sounds like she like getting up and carving around a little. this could be perfect.

Comment

First off, that is awesome that she is still skiing, especially slalom!

My quick suggestion is the RADAR Women's Session. It is almost exactly what you are looking for based on your description.

https://radarskis.com/products/womens-session

Comment

HO Freeride is nice. Or a Hovercraft. Hovercraft is more of a ski/wakeboard hybrid.

I have both.
        2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Originally posted by tjrowbot View Post
          First off, that is awesome that she is still skiing, especially slalom!

My quick suggestion is the RADAR Women's Session. It is almost exactly what you are looking for based on your description.

https://radarskis.com/products/womens-session

This ^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Radar Butterknife is a great open water ski, the wider profile makes standing up a breeze. They make men and women's colorways/sizes
            Tim
            2021 Lone Star MasterBash
            Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
            1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
            1995 MC ProStar 205
            ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

My wife is 56 and still getting after it on the slalom. I am 51 and not in the same shape I once was. Last year we both got HO Freeride skis and we LOVE them. We call them the old fart cheater skis. Easy to deep water start and fun to carve without having to work too hard. You can't go wrong with one of these.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
              1998 Prostar 205 (red)

Comment

Originally posted by tmothy07 View Post
                The Radar Butterknife is a great open water ski, the wider profile makes standing up a breeze. They make men and women's colorways/sizes
                Very true, however, I believe the Session replaced it. I think the Butterknife is only available online and 2020 version. Don't quote me, but not on the RADAR website anymore.

Comment

A slightly used HO Freeride would be awesome! A Radar Union is also a nice ski. My daughter picked up one last year.
                  If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
                  1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Are those HO Freerides still double tunnel design? I tried one years ago and had a rotten time with it.

Radar does make some great skis. Moving to the Senate once I decided I would no longer ski @ 36 turned out to be a great choice for my skiing enjoyment (open water). I'm trying to convince my wife to move over from an older Connelly to Radar (probably Lyric). I wouldn't hesitate to pick the Session as noted above, for the speeds you're aiming at.

Comment

I am in the same boat. My wife is 62 98lbs. skiing on a 35-year-old connely shortline 2. needs to move to a more advanced ski. Looking at a 63 inch lyric. She is an intermediate skier. Any experience out there? The HO omni is on her radar also
                      Last edited by dt37803; 09-01-2021, 05:42 PM.
                      Our 2014 X2 is Sold.

Comment

i would recommend the terrain(formerly katana) over all the other skies here. great intermediate ski. super easy to get up on. you can push it if you want but if you want a nice easy ride it is there as well.

Comment

Thanks everyone, ya'll have given me some very solid starting points to start researching, availability, etc. ... My adult (35 y/o) daughter still skies from time to time, falls into around the same category (recreational) as my wife but slightly taller and a bit heavier with larger foot. From my initial research, appears most of these have fixed size bindings. Any decent adjustable bindings?

Comment

Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
                            Thanks everyone, ya'll have given me some very solid starting points to start researching, availability, etc. ... My adult (35 y/o) daughter still skies from time to time, falls into around the same category (recreational) as my wife but slightly taller and a bit heavier with larger foot. From my initial research, appears most of these have fixed size bindings. Any decent adjustable bindings?
                            It is pretty easy to purchase bindings separate from the Ski and by doing this you can get a binding that is 4 shoe size adjustable. I would not put the super size adjustable cheap entry level bindings a ski that you are getting for one person. HO offers the freemax binding combo where the back binding is an adjustable open toe.

Comment

My wife is 59, has been skiing since she was 10. We ski 3-4 days/ week. She free skis only (26mph).
                              My experience:
                              We have a Hovercraft - I don’t recommend as a replacement for a slalom ski. It’s fun, great to learn deep water starts on but not what you want as your only slalom ski. It skis best under 20mph.
                              Radar Butterknife - far and away, this is a favorite of my wife and our ski group. My wife is 5’4 and 125#, skis a 65” and loves it. Both of my daughters “borrow” it to ski. Technically my girls could ski a more advanced ski, but they all love the Butterknife. It’s been replaced in the Radar lineup by the Session I believe.
                              Radar Union - we introduced a very athletic 50y/o female friend to skiing on the Butterknife. She then bought a Union, thinking she could go further in her skiing ability on that ski. She’s skied hundreds of hours on it and it took a LONG time before she felt comfortable on it.
                              HO Omni - I ski a Carbon Omni. 15-32 off/ 32-34mph free ski and course. I love it. Skied a Radar Theory for years before. The Omni is slightly faster across the wake, otherwise both are a great crossover skis. The Theory has been replaced by the Union. It’s a step or two up from the Butterknife/Session in quickness and wanting to be on edge - hence the designation of these skis a “crossovers”. You can freeski or take them into the course and advance your skills there (I haven’t advanced very far there LOL).

Something that hasn’t been mentioned is bindings. My wife and I ski Radar Vectors with artp. I have the new Carbitex w boa closures. I learned an expensive lesson when I bought my Omni-it came with HO Freemax bindings and me, not knowing any better assumed they were similar to the Vectors. Big mistake…I hated them and over $300 later replaced them with Vectors. Our female friend that purchased the Union got the less expensive Radar Prime bindings. They are “ok” but I highly recommend the Vector. Better support, comfort and adjustability. They will accept a wide range of shoe sizes. My wife and daughters are all different heights and foot size and have no problem using the same binding. The Vector boots are open toe, will fit a variety of wide, narrow and range of size.
                              Radar and HO are both great companies with great products - we own and ski both - but for what you’re looking for I would give the edge to Radar and look at their lineup starting with the Session up to the Lyric and Radar bindings for sure.
                              I will give a shout out to Mike Mapple at Performance Ski and Surf in Orlando. Give them a call and talk to Mike. They will allow you to return/replace a ski if you don’t like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X