50 for 50 Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 for 50 Challenge

A little over a year ago I was listening to an interview with Tony Klarich on Dave Briscoe's Outside Edge Podcast. On his 50th birthday he rode 50 different things on the water all in 1 day. He rode skis, wakeboard, a bunch of different foil setups, a cooler, a picnic table and a bunch of other crazy stuff.

It inspired me to come up with my own 50 @ 50 challenge where I would ride 50 miles on the water doing a combination of slalom, wakeboard, and wakesurf all on my 50th birthday. My initial plan was to Slalom Ski 20 miles total, Wakeboard 20 miles total, and Waksurf 10 miles.

I'm happy to say I completed it Sept 16 which was a day early because of a band performance my son had on the 17th, my actual birthday. I ended up breaking up the miles different than my original plan. I did 15 miles slalom and 5 miles wakeboarding in the morning. Since slalom is more tiring for me I bailed on doing any more slalom. The morning weather was perfect.

We went back out in the afternoon for more wakeboard but the wind had picked up. We had a half hour boat ride to get to calm water. I got in another 18 miles there. At this point I was worried about finishing by the 7:30 sunset. We had to head back to our dock to change out crew. The other issue was the wind direction was going to force us to surf in a shallower area (8 to 10'). It's a little more work to stay with the wave in the 8' sections. I decided to wakeboard another 10 miles and just surf 3 miles at the end. I finished just before sunset.

My wife was there the whole time and drove for most of it. We had different crews for the various sessions. My wife said her hand was sore for 4 days because of all the shifting in and out of gear.

I slept like a rock. I was sore the next day but still went our for a wakefoil run on a friends boat around noon. I just recently figured how to get up on the wakefoil so I didn't include it in the adventure. Day two I could barely walk up steps. Day 3 my lower back was crazy sore. I was not back to normal until about day 6.

Did it all on our XT22 and in about 1 tank of gas. That 5.3 GDI is pretty awesome. I'll try to post some pics.

Huge Tony fan because of who he was and how out there he was when I was 12-15. Always loved his craziness... and pure skill at doing what he loves to do.. even if sometimes it was just goofing around on the lid from a Coleman cooler.

That said... props to you and your challenge... and your wife.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

We were on Sandusky Bay OH the whole day. Near Baypoint and Johnson Island for the morning, along Rt2 for the afternoon, back to Johnson Island for the end.
      Attached Files

Comment

Heck yeah. That is so awesome. Happy belated!
        Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
        Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
        2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
        For Sale:
        2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Well done young man! Well done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
          Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

2008 Prostar 214 MCX
          1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
          Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
          "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

That is quite the feat. I can't even image skiing for that distance let alone wakeboarding for miles more. Congrats!

Comment

Great work!

Comment

that is awesome! You should ride a table though on your 51st or some other crazy item...

Comment

Nice job. Still got it at 50!
                    The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

That is cool and impressive.

Comment

that is awesome ... huge congrats!

Comment

Here's a link to the Podcast. The other crazy thing Tony talks about is how his grandmother inspired him for his 50 for 50. Each year on her 79 through 88th Birthday she would ride a sit down hydrofoil (Airchair / Skyski) for 52 miles.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000465135793

Comment

Working...
                          X