What year MC to avoid? '12 or '13???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What year MC to avoid? '12 or '13???

I have seen in past threads that either the 2012 or 2013 MCs had a different electrical system that has given people a lot of issues. MC used it for a year and then abandoned it. I am looking for a used one right now and a lot in my price point are 2012s and 2013s. Looking to see what to avoid. TIA!

Right about 2006 Mastercraft did away with removable floor panels. If you crack a center ballast tank or need a new fuel tank good luck. 2007 Mastercraft started using Cat exhaust with sensors and upgraded to MEFI 5. I like 2005 and older MC boats if you do your own work. Simple electronics and easy to hell to work on. I can read codes and set timing with only a paperclip. The electronics in 2010 and up boats are getting difficult to source and part costs are astronomical. Here is a 2013 screen for sale. I can buy a new engine for the same price. https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/sc...1bb324dc&_ss=r

Comment

The 2012's had a screen that was used just for that year, the 2013+ models used a different screen. Both are still about the same price to replace.
      2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
      2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
      Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Originally posted by uplandbird
      Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

Comment

2012 was the worst year. I'd pass on all of them. 2011 and 2013 are both better.

Comment

Pretty subjective question which deserves a pretty vague answer..... it depends.

2012 had a bad large screen and gen 1 tabs, both were pretty lame so some people will tell you to never buy one but is this really the case???? It depends. I turn a wrench and ride behind a 2012 X2 on a regular basis. We wakeboard and surf primarily. The boat has both of the dreaded, never buy features. It's an outstanding boat. But how can this be you say? We got a steal on the boat and don't use the display or the gen1 surf system plain and simple.

The 12s and I think most going forward for years were offered with the displays or without them. You can therefore do everything from the "Big" (the display in the gauge cluster) that you can from the display and this is what we've learned to do. Can an idiot do it? Probably if they took the time to figure it out. Add to this that as gwozhog states above having a display with an older boat these days is getting to be an expensive liability. When I went looking for the boat I have now I had a choice between 2 very similar optioned boat with prices that were within a grand of each other. One had the standard gauges, the other had the Linc system. As I keep my boats for a long time I decided to go with the standard gauge package.

So now the gen1 surf system..... No one I know purposely leans their boat over anymore these days as most are using shapers and pretty much even ballast. Now there's always going to be someone that does it differently and runs 5K of lead and lord knows what else to pull their 10 old up surfing but we do very well with this boat for a quick set with stock ballast full and a Mission Delta at 10.2 MPH. With this in mind how hard is it to set this boat up then? Fill the ballast until you hear water coming out the vents, set the shaper, set your speed and go have some fun. When you're done reverse the above instructions and go home or to the sandbar, whatever. Not hard and everything can be done from "Big".

I will also add that when we first tired using the Gen1 system it was F'ing awful. Auto launch failed with a broken tab the first week we used it and again a month after we repaired it. The preprogrammed settings sucked and didn't produce a usable surf wake. The standard cruise was difficult to use and didn't work very well either. The new owner was ready to sell and had it not been a friend I would have picked up up for a song, then fixed and kept it for myself.

So what's the net of all this? The 2012, other than the crap screen package and surf system is a very nice and sold boat that you can pick up typically cheap in comparison to other years. You can ditch the electronics package completely (a lot of dealers do this for customers) or ignore it, use the standard gauge package and be completely happy with the boat. Gen1 and Gen2 are both obsolete IMO and it's easy to get this boat to surf well with the standard ballast and a good shaper. Want more? add bags and the wake gets better but I will add that you can't do a piggyback system with this year due to the timers. you either need to add another pump/system or manually fill/empty the bags.

Comment

BTurner is spot on. I have a new screen (replaced by PO before sale) so no issues there but everything he described is exactly how I setup and ride behind my 2012 X15.
            2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
            2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
            Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Originally posted by uplandbird
            Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

Comment

I sold my 2012 X45 as soon as MC gave me a good deal on a 2015 because we complained so much. The screen wasn't as easy to use and you fully rely on touch functions. When they switched in 2013, they added buttons to the allow for switching functions.

Keep in mind that the newer screens did have some issues as I did have one screen replaced on my 2015. Since then, it has been flawless.

Another awful function in 2012 was the ballast actuators that switched from tanks to bags. I went through 6 set of actuators and they never fully worked. After that we complained to MC about the system and they paid the dealer to install separate pumps and switches for the piggy back system.

I personally would stay away from a 2012 as the resale will not be that of a 2013 and you will always have the worry in the back of your mind and so will potential future buyers.

Comment

Mastercraft eventually fixed all of the problems on my 2012 after a LOT of help from Mike G and others on this forum, but it was a very painful two seasons of dead screens and strange overheating. I would avoid.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

The electronics were an issue in 2012. I have a close friend who works at MC and he told me there is no way I should ever consider a 2012.
                  Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Working...
                  X