21 x24 Built in Battery Charger Over Charge/No Shut Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 x24 Built in Battery Charger Over Charge/No Shut Off

Anyone had any issues with the pro mariner pro sport 20amp built in battery charger? We plugged ours in to charge up the batteries before putting the boat away and all looked well. Came out in the morning and the battery was smoking and borderline on fire. We’re lucky the boat and the house we rented didn’t go up in flames. It’s like the charger never shut off and kept charging at full amps. I had the battery checked and it seemed fine which is why I ask about the charger.

Originally posted by MeyersRL View Post
    Anyone had any issues with the pro mariner pro sport 20amp built in battery charger? We plugged ours in to charge up the batteries before putting the boat away and all looked well. Came out in the morning and the battery was smoking and borderline on fire. We’re lucky the boat and the house we rented didn’t go up in flames. It’s like the charger never shut off and kept charging at full amps. I had the battery checked and it seemed fine which is why I ask about the charger.
    I would contact the manufacturer- have you read the manual, to see the instructions for setup?

Comment

Base on your description, id replace all the batteries.

Is the charger set up with the correct charge chip profile for the type of batteries being used? Are the connections clean and tight? Are the charger's cables connected direct to the batteries? Was the boat's main switch off?

Comment

Something is wrong here. Most all of these chargers now sense when a battery is full and they automatically stop charging. Wondering if its a defective battery and not the charger.

Comment

Originally posted by MLA View Post
          Base on your description, id replace all the batteries.

Is the charger set up with the correct charge chip profile for the type of batteries being used? Are the connections clean and tight? Are the charger's cables connected direct to the batteries? Was the boat's main switch off?
          ^ ^ ^ Agree on replacement. The plates are likely warped and will not perform as needed.

Same principle with a constant trickle in lieu of a smart charger. Over charging will warp the plates. Water level is also a factor in battery longevity.

93 190
          John 14:6
          2 Peter 1:3–8
          Matthew 6:1-4

Comment

21 x24 Built in Battery Charger Over Charge/No Shut Off

As others note, it could just be loose terminal nuts. I have fried a newer AGM battery that way.

Glad all else was ok and you avoided a fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would think an internal short in the battery as apposed to charger failure to shut off. I've never heard of a pro marine charger failure. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen but I think unlikely so.
              -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

The charger itself is supposed to be a smart charger and “Analyzed” the battery before charging. It was set to flooded lead as the batteries are interstate 27M-XHD. I’m having the dealer look at it but not sure I’ll ever leave the charger on over night again.

Charger is a

https://www.promariner.com/en/44020

Comment

Originally posted by MeyersRL View Post
                  The charger itself is supposed to be a smart charger and “Analyzed” the battery before charging. It was set to flooded lead as the batteries are interstate 27M-XHD. I’m having the dealer look at it but not sure I’ll ever leave the charger on over night again.

Charger is a

https://www.promariner.com/en/44020
                  I've used 4 pro mariner chargers in the past and never once had an issue with them. Again, that's not to say a unit couldn't be bad but my money is elsewhere for the trouble.

The only real difference in battery selection is the charging profile. IE the amp rate of charge and float level of charge. None of which would cause the battery to cook. However, if you let your flooded battery run low on distilled water you could have caused the issue yourself.
                  -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

I hope it was wired up correctly?

Comment

Working...
                    X