I finally got one! 87 Prostar 190

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got one! 87 Prostar 190

Winter project acquired! I picked it up Sunday, after scouring FB marketplace and craigslist for months. As far as I can tell (using east tx skier's checklist), it's a good boat for a fair price. There's a laundry list of things that need doing, but most of it is cleaning, basic maintenance, or cosmetic.
    https://djswithoutborders.net/2021/10/15/prostar-190/

...As far as I can tell. The only major headache seems to be that the driver's side window (not the vent window) is missing, and the back seat base is completely rotten. The interior is decent otherwise, and the powder coating is still on the side rails.

https://youtu.be/EifQeePh5n0
    Last edited by tangodelta313; 10-15-2021, 08:03 AM.

Sweet! My dad bought one of those in the same color new back in '87. I was 15 and still remember when he surprised us by pulling up with it. Best of luck with the clean up. Lot of fun you got there.

Comment

That will look great when it's cleaned up. Keep us posted on what you do with the back seat.

Comment

It's been a while.

A winter, in fact, where I didn't do as much as I'd have liked. The job I had at the time had me working 16-hour days on the regular from September until January, sometimes on weekends. But I did refresh the carb, and I just refinished the swim deck. The boat is back from storage, still in shrink-wrap, but it's time to buckle down on the essential tasks. "Essential" means the difference between having a ski boat for the summer and not having one, so my criteria are basically as follows:
        1. It floats.
        2. It runs.
        3. It doesn't smell like a garbage can full of rotten leaves and motor oil.
        4. It safely and comfortably seats everyone it was designed to carry.
        Not really a high bar, but anything else is cosmetic and could wait until next fall.

Before it goes in the water though, I'd like to finish removing the decals and removing the hull oxidation and apply new decals. The boat isn't meant to be a restored classic or anything, just a decent and safe ski tractor, but if it looks good from 10-20 feet away, I'm OK with it. For now. Anyway, the swim deck is looking good again, but I may end up building a new one, depending on how this one holds up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4562.png
Views:	425
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	2702569
        Last edited by tangodelta313; 04-14-2022, 10:35 AM. Reason: Still figuring out photo attachment...

Comment

Tango, what did you use on the swim deck? My 87 deck looks much lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by tangodelta313 View Post
            It's been a while.

A winter, in fact, where I didn't do as much as I'd have liked. The job I had at the time had me working 16-hour days on the regular from September until January, sometimes on weekends. But I did refresh the carb, and I just refinished the swim deck. The boat is back from storage, still in shrink-wrap, but it's time to buckle down on the essential tasks. "Essential" means the difference between having a ski boat for the summer and not having one, so my criteria are basically as follows:
            1. It floats.
            2. It runs.
            3. It doesn't smell like a garbage can full of rotten leaves and motor oil.
            4. It safely and comfortably seats everyone it was designed to carry.
            Not really a high bar, but anything else is cosmetic and could wait until next fall.

Before it goes in the water though, I'd like to finish removing the decals and removing the hull oxidation and apply new decals. The boat isn't meant to be a restored classic or anything, just a decent and safe ski tractor, but if it looks good from 10-20 feet away, I'm OK with it. For now. Anyway, the swim deck is looking good again, but I may end up building a new one, depending on how this one holds up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4562.png
Views:	425
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	2702569
            I think you’ve 100% got your priorities in order. The great thing about these older MCs is…they are extremely well made, simple to maintain and other than the price of gas lately, inexpensive to operate. I’m a big advocate for using and upgrading over time and TT is a great resource to help with that.

Comment

Nice find. I restored an 89 a few years back. Great boat that served us well for years.

The driver side window can easily be replaced with lexan or other plastic. Available at TAP plastics and elsewhere. Remove window frame, drill out rivets replace window and reverse the process. Hopefully you still have the vinyl channel that the window fits in. Good luck.

Comment

Update: I found a set of replacement side windows on FB marketplace. They came with assorted frame rails (kind of beat up) and a bunch of gasket strips.

Mad respect to those who do auto glass. Getting the window and gaskets to line up and fit was not trivial. But now the boat now has all the glass it's supposed to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Harborseal2 View Post
                  Tango, what did you use on the swim deck? My 87 deck looks much lighter.
                  Harborseal, I used I used Walrus Oil pure tung oil. I expect to have to do it more than once per season, but I'm anticipating a future woodworking project to build a new one. I was thinking of using some of the new plastic decking that looks a whole lot more like wood than Trex does.

Comment

Working...
                  X