Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest in Peace Baby

Dear Mastercraft Crew

Unfortunately, the season has come to an abrupt end for me.

My girlfriend and I wanted to spend the last beautiful days on the lake and take the boat out of the water at the end of next week and winterize it.

We were already on the way back to the harbor when it suddenly started to smell like burnt plastic. We stopped and tried to locate the smell. When we couldn't find anything, we first thought it could be from the land.

So we continued towards the harbor as it became more intense.

We stopped again and saw smoke coming from the dashboard.
    I pushed the seat all the way back and was able to lie under the dashboard and take a closer look.

At the hole where all the cables come down from the dashboard, burning plastic was already dripping onto the carpet and the life jackets.

I immediately took the powder extinguisher and began to spray from below into the dashboard.

When the fog was gone, I could see that the fire in the dashboard was practically out, but it had already eaten through the carpet all the way to the bow.

My 2kg powder extinguisher was unfortunately already empty and I didn't have a second one.

I still tried to get into the bow and remove flammable material like monoski, parasol, tube, but the smoke was already pitch black.

Fortunately, a random passing boat had already seen the smoke and came to our rescue.

We still tried to use a 2nd fire extinguisher, but this did not help.

So we left the boat and gave up....

We waited for the maritime police and could do nothing but watch.

When the police arrived, I informed the officer that I work at the fire department and could help him until the alarmed fire department arrived.

At our lake, the fire department does not have its own boat, so a second police boat goes to get a crew from the fire department.

However, by the time this happened, I had already started extinguishing the fire and was able to completely extinguish it by the time my colleagues arrived.

The cause of the fire is not yet clear and will be investigated by the authorities today or tomorrow.

My girlfriend and I were fortunately not injured and there was "only" material damage.

I wish everyone a nice Sunday and be careful
    Attached Files

Glad you got out safely.

Any advice for the rest of us based on what you experienced?

I have often thought that a fire in a ski boat like mine with all the synthetics and trapped air chambers that it would likely be a quick try with an extinguisher but likely life jackets, abandon ship and call the insurance

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyB View Post
      Glad you got out safely.

Any advice for the rest of us based on what you experienced?
      Here in Switzerland, a 2kg fire extinguisher is mandatory. I will get a foam extinguisher for the next boat. Through all the dust of the powder extinguisher, I could no longer see exactly whether the fire is out or not. I had to wait some time until the dust was gone to see if something is still burning.

But like you said, put on your life jackets, call 911 and get off the boat.

Comment

RIP in pieces. Glad no one was hurt!
        -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Condolences for your loss SC. Glad all are safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by moosehead View Post
            Condolences for your loss SC. Glad all are safe.
            Thank you for this picture. Makes me really sad to end the season like this.

An hour ago, the investigating authority called me that the cause of the fire is suspected to be a technical defect in the area of the dashboard.

More specifics can no longer be determined due to the degree of destruction.

Tomorrow I'm going to the authorities to see my boat again. Maybe something can be saved, e.g. the bathing platform, propeller, anchor etc.

Comment

Sorry for your loss, but great nobody was hurt.

Too bad you can't get more details on root cause. I'd be really curious.
              ¡Viva 205V!
              2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Originally posted by brucemac View Post
                Sorry for your loss, but great nobody was hurt.

Too bad you can't get more details on root cause. I'd be really curious.

Thank you for your words.
                I am also very curious what started the fire.
                As I said, tomorrow I may know more when I am on site.

Even the whole water ski pole is completely melted. just insane....

Comment

Glad you two are safe! That spread fast from the looks of the photos!!!
                  1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

Thank god you’re safe. Scary sheet man….

Comment

i'm glad you both are safe and another boat was nearby that looks crazy.

unfortunately i do not believe it will buff out this time.

serious question what was in the gunnel on the passengers side to get it hot enough to burn like that there?

Comment

Originally posted by h_2_o View Post
                        serious question what was in the gunnel on the passengers side to get it hot enough to burn like that there?
                        Fire I think.

But seriously, that's a big bummer! I am also curious as to what started the fire... that'd be pretty scary. Hang in there!
                        -Tolman
                        '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
                        '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Originally posted by SwissCraft1291 View Post
                          Here in Switzerland, a 2kg fire extinguisher is mandatory. I will get a foam extinguisher for the next boat. Through all the dust of the powder extinguisher, I could no longer see exactly whether the fire is out or not. I had to wait some time until the dust was gone to see if something is still burning.

But like you said, put on your life jackets, call 911 and get off the boat.
                          Interesting...like the advice on foam over dry powder

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                          Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

Thanks for the words people!

I was just at the authority and could see my boat again.

As I feared, the definitive cause of the fire can no longer be determined.

The investigators sawed out parts of the front hull in the area of the steering position to investigate.

The cause is noted in the report as "technical defect."

I have taken some pictures for you.

By the way: I was able to take the bathing platform home in good condition without any problems.

If someone is interested? Otherwise I'll make a nice wall shelf for the garage.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That should buff out.
                              -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Working...
                              X