Jacksonville, FL folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacksonville, FL folks

Are there any MC folks in the Jacksonville/N. Florida area?

I've heard about the Victory Lake ski club but haven't been successful in contacting anyone, so I'm not sure if that still exists. I've scouted out Kingsley Lake and Ocean Pond, but would love to meet up with fellow MC'ers in the area.

Have seen a few new boats this summer in Black Creek. I think my old boat now hangs out at Kingsley Lake...

Comment

Are you in Jax Frankster? I've heard about both Black Creek/Doctor's Lake but I'm very weary of putting it in brackish water, which is why I ventured elsewhere. Way back in college (UF) I ski'd Lake Santa Fe in Keystone Heights all the time. Of course from Jax though, that's a bit of a hike.

Comment

Originally posted by NWSurfer1974 View Post
        Are you in Jax Frankster? I've heard about both Black Creek/Doctor's Lake but I'm very weary of putting it in brackish water, which is why I ventured elsewhere. Way back in college (UF) I ski'd Lake Santa Fe in Keystone Heights all the time. Of course from Jax though, that's a bit of a hike.
        I live in Jax. Are you military? Can you get on Kingsley Lake?
        sigpic

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word

Comment

I am in Fleming Island, so Black Creek and Doctor Lake are the closest boat ramps around. Doctors Lake is part of the St Johns river and the salt content is probably higher then that of Black Creek which is only "black" due to the dead vegetation, but it's supposed to be one of the cleanest creeks in the state.

Doctors Lake is very ride able early in the morning, but once the wind and boat traffic pick up, the glass goes to s**t...

Black Creek has been getting busy lately, but it's narrow enough that the water settles and there are plenty of smooth stretches even on windy days. Not to mention that there are some 5 or so miles of creek you can work with.

As far as putting the boat in it? I think it's all about proper rinsing and washing after. You probably have a steel trailer and it is important to find a way and rinse the inside of the frame, cause that is where they rot first.

You'll be fine in either of these, but my first choice would always be the Creek :-)

Comment

+1^.
            Black Creek is the best. Been going there since '82. Used to be noon before you'd even see another boat (other than the occasional fishing boat). Gets pretty busy early these days. I would not classify Black Creek as brackish, even though it is connected to the St. Johns River system. It is as fresh as you can get. The 'black' dark water is caused by the tannin from the oak trees upstream.
            If it chops up in one stretch, it will be smooth around the next corner.

This year has been pretty bad for me so far, haven't had the boat out but once, due to some other pressing obligations. I hope to change that very soon.
            Hope you find a chance to enjoy it.
            1988 Tristar 190 Sport, 351W w/GT-40's, 1:1 Velvetdrive

Comment

BTW, Ocean Pond is pretty shallow, and usually a bit muddy. Been a very long time since I've been there.
              Kingsley Lake is great, but access is difficult unless you can get onto Camp Blanding. But it is a big round lake and chops up easily. Fantastic after an afternoon shower though. It helps if you have a friend on the lake!

Comment

This is great info, and I really appreciate it. I'm active duty so Kingsley is definitely an option. I'm a bit hesitant though due to it being such a big circular lake and the chop. Lake Kieowee up in SC spoiled me with all it's fingers that produced perfect glass.

I didn't realize Black Creek is as good as it sounds. Do you know if it's sourced inland and flows to the St. Johns or the other way around? I wouldn't mind it being spring fed...too much to ask for?! lol

Do you have any contacts or know if Victory Lake is still active? I'd love to find a club of sorts

Comment

Well I live on Blackcreek as my screen name implies. After all the rain everything south of the Buckman is probably fresh right now. I have lived on the water here for 15 years and have had no problems with salt corrosion but I flush the engine after every run. Any day during the week even in summer is not really crowded and you can ski just about any time. Forget about glass after 10 am on the weekends but I have become really spoiled so you might think it's better. Blackcreek is very protected with high trees on both sides and miles of smooth water even in high winds. Great place to spend the day with non skiers on the boat also as there are numerous rope swings and small beaches along the shoreline. A long run up the creek will get you to redneck beach which is located just before the creek splits into the north and south fork. Any summer weekend will have 10-15 boats parked at the beach with lots of drinking and beach games going on. Holiday weekends will have the boats stacked up all over redneck beach. Knights boat ramp at the mouth of blackcreek is top notch with three nice ramps and a bait store and fuel dock but parking gets tight on the weekends.
                  I am retired military and have been to Kingsley also. You are boating in swimming pool clear water at Kingsley and they have good picnic facilities but once again the crowd will be heavy on the weekend

Knights boat ramp with the St Johns on the right looking north and the start of blackcreek on the left

The 205
                  Last edited by blackcreek; 09-01-2015, 02:22 PM.

Comment

This is great info, and I really appreciate it. I'm active duty so Kingsley is definitely an option. I'm a bit hesitant though due to it being such a big circular lake and the chop. Lake Kieowee up in SC spoiled me with all it's fingers that produced perfect glass.

I didn't realize Black Creek is as good as it sounds. Do you know if it's sourced inland and flows to the St. Johns or the other way around? I wouldn't mind it being spring fed...too much to ask for?! lol

Do you have any contacts or know if Victory Lake is still active? I'd love to find a club of sorts
                    The guy that owned Victory Lakes died in an experimental plane crash a couple of years ago. I'll check with some friends to see if 6balls is to on going?
                    Last edited by trickskier; 09-01-2015, 08:02 PM.
                    sigpic

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word

Comment

Do you know if it's sourced inland and flows to the St. Johns or the other way around? I wouldn't mind it being spring fed...too much to ask for?! lol
                      Kingsley Lake has a spring in it and is actually very deep in the center.
                      Black Creek has a very large watershed area. The North and South Forks join together near Middleburg area and flows eastward into the St. Johns River (one of only a few rivers which flow north). Another great thing I like about Black Creek is it is also very deep, 25-30 ft. in much of it, and deep right to the edge. This contrasts with the St. Johns which is very wide, but fairly shallow several hundred feet out from shoreline.

Comment

I live in St Simons Ga (75 min North of Jax) and am looking at buying a mastercraft but I can't find anyone up here who works on inboards. who do those of you in Jacksonville go to for service?

Thanks!

Comment

For service, Lake Area Watersports has served me well. I say that as they are a Nautique/Malibu dealer these days, but service all Indmar and PCM inboards as well.
                          I've purchased some items from them and also had them repair a broken driveshaft, bent strut (but it has been awhile since I've needed anything). Once, while renting a place at Kingsley Lake, discovered broken water pump (spraying water everywhere), called them late on a Saturday. Not only did he know exactly what pump I needed and had one in stock, but he was kind enough to meet me early Sunday morning nearby where we were staying. I had the pump on before the breakfast dishes were done.
                          They are located at SR 21 and SR 26 in Melrose, FL
                          A pretty long stretch from your location though as it is about an hour south of Jacksonville.

http://www.lakeareawatersports.com/default.asp
                          Last edited by MikeyOrange88; 09-20-2015, 09:36 PM. Reason: distance south from Jax added.

Comment

Working...
                          X