Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Mountain Lake, VA

How many others enjoying our pristine waters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '17 X-10
    '92 Maristar

We rented a house for a week a few years ago. Was a great time and a Great Lake. I had a job opportunity 9 years ago down there. I should have taken it. Stuck in Ohio with crappy weather

Comment

Love it

We have been enjoying SML for many years now...rent houses twice a year. always 4 of July

Comment

We rent almost every summer and will be back this August. If it were an hour closer to our house in Arlington, we'd probably pull the trigger on a place, but at 4+ hours it's hard to imagine getting there regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've heard tons of good about SML. Would love to check it out sometime. It's similar to the lake I grew up on, Fontana. Though I think Fontana is a bit more rural.
          boats rock, but don't rock the boat

Comment

My parents moved to SML (Penhook) last August. Looking forward to spending much of the summer down there this year. I'll be down in a few weeks for Poker Run, staying through Memorial Day. Hopefully, the weather stays warm, so the lake can warm up before then!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I visited SML this February to buy a used 09 Ski Nautique. Unfortunately, after a 750-mile drive I found the boat was misrepresented and I return home without a boat.

I did get to waterski in mid-February. I thought it was a great spot. I hope to go back for a vacation sometime.
              08 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 196 343 HP 350 MPI EFI
              Previous Boats:
              99 MasterCraft SportStar CB 310 HP 350 TBI EFI
              98 Moomba Boomerang 310 HP 350 Carb
              88 MC PowerSlot 240 HP 351 Carb Black on White

Comment

I had my boat out for the first time on Saturday, weather was very nice and the water temp is slowly warming up. Here is a website with water temps as reported up near Hales Ford Bridge recorded at 3' depth: http://smlfishfinder.com/

I didn't bring a board or ski - but really wished I had. I saw a group in an I/O pulling someone on 2 skis w/o a wet suit, but I'd have wanted at least my surf top or farmer john.

It's a beautiful lake. Gets nuts on the weekends so I try and get in my sets either really early or wait until Sunday afternoon and Monday to avoid the crowds.

My dad worked at a marina there (Saunders, now Parkway) when the lake reached full pond in the mid-60's. I've been around SML since those days and last August we finally bought a condo there, which we rent to offset the expenses. I'm trying to work out a TeamTalk discount with the rental management company - but they've booked so many dates already, there isn't much availability. If I get something put together, I will post it on TT. Or, message me and I can check on availability.

Comment

Originally posted by d2jp View Post
                  I had my boat out for the first time on Saturday, weather was very nice and the water temp is slowly warming up. Here is a website with water temps as reported up near Hales Ford Bridge recorded at 3' depth: http://smlfishfinder.com/

I didn't bring a board or ski - but really wished I had. I saw a group in an I/O pulling someone on 2 skis w/o a wet suit, but I'd have wanted at least my surf top or farmer john.

It's a beautiful lake. Gets nuts on the weekends so I try and get in my sets either really early or wait until Sunday afternoon and Monday to avoid the crowds.

My dad worked at a marina there (Saunders, now Parkway) when the lake reached full pond in the mid-60's. I've been around SML since those days and last August we finally bought a condo there, which we rent to offset the expenses. I'm trying to work out a TeamTalk discount with the rental management company - but they've booked so many dates already, there isn't much availability. If I get something put together, I will post it on TT. Or, message me and I can check on availability.
                  Where on the lake are you? I find that if you get away from the main channel and Huddleston, it isn't too bad, even on the weekends. That cove with the slalom course (called Bull Run, I think) is usually a pretty good spot. The further you go up the winding section of the lake in Union Hall isn't too bad either. I am curious about the new cable wake park. Has anyone checked it out?

Comment

We have a place near g2. Just a few houses in as you enter Gills from the Blackwater
                    Love the location. Plenty of action w the marina nearby, then plenty of clean water not too far

'17 X-10
                    '92 Maristar

Comment

D2jp,

Can you give rental info or who you use? I have been renting 2-3 weeks each summer. Sometimes a home but often a condo at Bridgewater Pointe.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

Hey Chris,

Shoot me a text 434-941-0787!

Thanks,

Jack

Comment

I haven’t been yet, but I’ve been hearing a lot about it! I’ve got an ‘01 Prostar 195, where should I start (it’s a big lake, I hear)?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisOX422 View Post
                            I haven’t been yet, but I’ve been hearing a lot about it! I’ve got an ‘01 Prostar 195, where should I start (it’s a big lake, I hear)?
                            Bull Run. It's a great water sports cove with a slalom course at the end. GPS coordinates can be found here:

http://www.smlwaterski.org/ski_course.html

Comment

Not MC related, but a few shots from Poker Run at SML today.

Last edited by TheLivinIsEasy; 05-19-2018, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X