No announcement yet.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just looking at Magnum's website randomly, and noticed there is no sign of Mastercraft anymore. They still show up as a dealer on MC's website, but that may not be updated. Has anyone heard what is going on? Is a different dealer in the area getting MC? There are so many MCs on the lake. Hard to believe a dealer can't make it there.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLivinIsEasy View Post
      I was just looking at Magnum's website randomly, and noticed there is no sign of Mastercraft anymore. They still show up as a dealer on MC's website, but that may not be updated. Has anyone heard what is going on? Is a different dealer in the area getting MC? There are so many MCs on the lake. Hard to believe a dealer can't make it there.
      I have not heard anything but I don't understand why we can have a great dealer supporting us on SML. Lots of Matercrafts on the lake.

Comment

• Originally posted by XT21LakeAnna View Post
        I have not heard anything but I don't understand why we can have a great dealer supporting us on SML. Lots of Matercrafts on the lake.
        Yeah, I don't know. Magnum always seemed more focused on Chaps. I suspect a lot of the homeowners from NC buy their boats at one of the bigger dealers down near Lake Norman or elsewhere in NC, so maybe that limits the market. I would think a dealer could make it on the lake if they were a good dealership that also offered a brand of toons and maybe Yahama jet skis or something. Webster seems to crush it with Bennington and Sea Doo, which allows them to have Sea Ray, Moomba and Nautique on the side. A similar arrangement could work, I would think. I feel like MC, Harris/Crest, Yahama, and something like Cobalt or Regal would do well.

Comment

• Originally posted by d2jp View Post
          Any preference on area for the rental?
          I'm not too particular but my wife and kids would like a cove with a private dock. They like the calm water for swimming. Based on our search so far we might be trying a new lake. So far we just can't find anything.

Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyoder1 View Post
            I'm not too particular but my wife and kids would like a cove with a private dock. They like the calm water for swimming. Based on our search so far we might be trying a new lake. So far we just can't find anything.

Chris
            I just checked VRBO, and there are like 20 options for that week with 4+ BRs. Are those not nice enough? Too expensive? Just looked at a couple, and they seemed like good options if I were looking to rent.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know. Magnum always seemed more focused on Chaps. I suspect a lot of the homeowners from NC buy their boats at one of the bigger dealers down near Lake Norman or elsewhere in NC, so maybe that limits the market. I would think a dealer could make it on the lake if they were a good dealership that also offered a brand of toons and maybe Yahama jet skis or something. Webster seems to crush it with Bennington and Sea Doo, which allows them to have Sea Ray, Moomba and Nautique on the side. A similar arrangement could work, I would think. I feel like MC, Harris/Crest, Yahama, and something like Cobalt or Regal would do well.
              I’ve heard that it is confirmed that Magnum will no longer carry M/C. I heard they are not sure about warranty work at this time. Also, checked M/C site to see if they’ve indicated a new dealer and it still shows Magnum.
              2019 Xstar
              2002 X30 ~ sold

Comment

• Originally posted by SmithX30 View Post
                I’ve heard that it is confirmed that Magnum will no longer carry M/C. I heard they are not sure about warranty work at this time. Also, checked M/C site to see if they’ve indicated a new dealer and it still shows Magnum.
                I wonder if this is related to Carolina Watersports picking up MC even though it is close to Charlotte Ski Boats. Maybe they figured adding the SML market would provide enough for both dealerships. Total speculation though. 2.5 hours is a looong drive for maintanence.

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks like there is a closer dealer (Boats Unlimited in Greensboro).

Comment

I just checked VRBO, and there are like 20 options for that week with 4+ BRs. Are those not nice enough? Too expensive? Just looked at a couple, and they seemed like good options if I were looking to rent.
                  Let me check with my wife AKA the vacation planner. When she looked a few weeks ago she said there was nothing available. Thanks for pointing out that there are options.

Chris

Comment

• Well crap! Magnum has been a mastercraft dealer for years. I’m thinking back to 2006~ or thereabouts. Sucks cause now the closest dealer is Greensboro or lake Gaston. Maybe someone else will pick them up on the lake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyoder1 View Post

Chris
                      I have no affiliation with these renters, but I know the area very well. It is easily accessible by land and water, yet restricted with NO WAKE from the mouth of the cove all the way back to the end. And deep. Worth checking out:
                      https://www.vrbo.com/212766ha

Comment

• Originally posted by Wakejunkie View Post
                        Well crap! Magnum has been a mastercraft dealer for years. I’m thinking back to 2006~ or thereabouts. Sucks cause now the closest dealer is Greensboro or lake Gaston. Maybe someone else will pick them up on the lake.
                        Yeah, I’m hoping somebody close picks it up. Normal maintenance and warranty items is going to be a bit of a hassle if we can’t get a closer dealer than Raleigh or CSB/Carolina in Charlotte.
                        2019 Xstar
                        2002 X30 ~ sold

Comment

• Talked to a friend and he confirmed that MC is going to sign another dealer at SML. Not sure who but have heard it is a multi-brand dealer.

Comment

• Originally posted by XT21LakeAnna View Post
                            Talked to a friend and he confirmed that MC is going to sign another dealer at SML. Not sure who but have heard it is a multi-brand dealer.
                            Interesting. Webster is the only other big dealer close by. They already have two wake brands, so it seems unlikely (though there are no Nautiques posted right now...). I wonder who else it could be. Conrad Brothers and Smith Mountain Boat & Tackle seem like smaller dealerships that are focused more on fishing. Conrad has a much better location.

Comment

• I don't think they would do Webster unless they dropped Nautique.

Comment

• He said he thought he heard they have multiple locations. So maybe one of the NC dealers getting new place.

Comment

Working...
                                X