Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
    We are also looking at possibly going to SML next year. This thread has all kinds of great info.

Where should we NOT look to rent a place?
    I think you will be fine most places. It seems like most people on here live in/prefer the southern part of the lake, but if you are just renting, I wouldn't rule out the main channel as you can always just cruise to less crowded water space. I would avoid anything too far up the Blackwater, Gills Creek, or the Roanoke, as things get narrow and there can be a lot of debris, especially after extended rainfall. Other things to look for in houses are gentle sloped lots/water access if you care about swimming and have young kids (some houses are on tall hills with a lot of stairs and the water may get deep quickly), water depth at the dock (for obvious reasons), and if you are at the end of a narrow cove, they can sometimes get a lot of stuff floating in (again, especially after rain).

Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyoder1 View Post
      I was at SML last week. Lots of debris north of the bridge. Didn't go near the bridge the rest of the week.

A definite +1 to whoever suggested Napoli Cowboy. We went for the first time and it was great. Good food and very reasonably priced. We stayed at Bernard's but did not go the The Landing. Mitchell's is open for takeout and outdoor dining. Same with Drifters (Wallers). We went to Drifters and it seems to be the same menu. Food good. Interesting that the Wallers are doing something different now. Will have to check out the new spot.

I'm headed back the last week of July if anyone will be in the area.

Chris
      There has been a ton of rain this year, so the debris seems worse than normal. Two weeks ago, it rained all week, so that is part of the issue. The week before Memorial Day, all the docks were under water...

Comment

• Scary pic. I read in the paper (SML Eagle?) that there has been more debris removed in the past 6 weeks than in the first 4 months of the year. Crazy.

Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyoder1 View Post
          Scary pic. I read in the paper (SML Eagle?) that there has been more debris removed in the past 6 weeks than in the first 4 months of the year. Crazy.

Chris
          The overwhelming majority of debris was/is up pretty far where the Roanoke River and Blackwater River start to form SML. Rarely is there a debris field in the 'main" part of the lake -from Hales Ford Bridge to the Dam on the Roanoke side and marker B12 to the dam on the Blackwater side. The upstream areas have received over 20" of rain in about 30 days, most of that occurring during 2 big rains pushing the lake up to 3 feet over "normal" full pond twice within a month. Never seen that happen before. Thankfully minimal damage around the lake but it ruined 2 weekends that I could have been skiing

Comment

• Originally posted by d2jp View Post
            The overwhelming majority of debris was/is up pretty far where the Roanoke River and Blackwater River start to form SML. Rarely is there a debris field in the 'main" part of the lake -from Hales Ford Bridge to the Dam on the Roanoke side and marker B12 to the dam on the Blackwater side. The upstream areas have received over 20" of rain in about 30 days, most of that occurring during 2 big rains pushing the lake up to 3 feet over "normal" full pond twice within a month. Never seen that happen before. Thankfully minimal damage around the lake but it ruined 2 weekends that I could have been skiing
            I heard that they pulled a mattress out of the water somewhere up river. I guess it was floating just below the surface. It's been a wild year. I have seen a few big logs around the lower parts of the lake this year, but nothing that a driver shouldn't be able to avoid (if they are paying attention/sober). They do a pretty good job of getting the big stuff up river though. It is amazing how nasty it can get the further up you go.

Comment

• I'm surprised to hear about active efforts to remove debris. Who does this? Our lake (Lake Blue Ridge in North GA mountains could sure use some of the same efforts.
              Bailey
              '02 X-9
              Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

• Originally posted by CruisinGA View Post
                I'm surprised to hear about active efforts to remove debris. Who does this? Our lake (Lake Blue Ridge in North GA mountains could sure use some of the same efforts.
                The power company that controls the dam (AEP) does most of it, I believe (http://smithmtn.com/DebrisMgmtPlan/FAQs.aspx), but also volunteers (http://smlassociation.org/lake-clean...s%20like%20you.).

Comment

• I don't know what's going on at SML, but they're fluctuating Leesville Lake up and down almost daily. I've only put the boat in the water one time this year and I wasn't able to get behind the boat. I know that we've had a lot of rain earlier in the month, but the lake has been a mess since May. We have a bunch of people showing up for the 4th and the boat might be sitting on the trailer...again.
                  Attached Files
                  “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by ahhudgins View Post
                    I don't know what's going on at SML, but they're fluctuating Leesville Lake up and down almost daily. I've only put the boat in the water one time this year and I wasn't able to get behind the boat. I know that we've had a lot of rain earlier in the month, but the lake has been a mess since May. We have a bunch of people showing up for the 4th and the boat might be sitting on the trailer...again.
                    The FAQ link I just posted above has information on how to report debris for removal.

Comment

• Welcome to SML. I am up on the Roanoke right past R26 in Highpoint which is right across from Betty’s Creek. If you are up this way, usually Webster Marina has the cheapest gas (cheaper than now Drifters) but it is a little further up. They have 93 which the bridge doesn’t, and not everyone else does so keep that in mind if your new X22 requires it. I believe Tim from Magnum is putting pumps in as well, but not very easy to get back to the Marina as it is past Wagon Wheel.

Another food option is Magnum Point Marina which is up the Blackwater, and supposedly they have decent food. Lumpkins is another food option where I am told there breakfast is really good.

We have been down here since 2016 and it is a great spot. Bull Run can get crazy during the day with all the day boaters and tubers showing up. Usually hit up the main channel in the morning, and a lot of times we head down to Bull Run for the late evening runs/sunset. It does get really rough heading up the Roanoke from where you are at on the weekends, but if the family wants to do the bridge by water you can always visit the SML Wake Shop where Ken is super friendly and very knowledgeable.

Enjoy the lake, and look forward to meeting you! if you can make it work, Sunday evenings everyone clears off the lake and the flat water returns.

Comment

• Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
                        We are also looking at possibly going to SML next year. This thread has all kinds of great info.

Where should we NOT look to rent a place?
                        lakedrum03, I would say where NOT to rent a place would come down to what you want to do while you are here. If you want the convenience of shopping/stores/groceries than closer to 122 would be your best bet. In Moneta, there is a Food Lion and several restaurants off the water and on. In Hardy/Westlake you have Kroger and many more restaurant options and the bridge is in between both. Most places on the lake will take you 30 minutes or so to get to the grocery store, but they are a lot less busy in the water.

If looking to get away and relax, the views from Penhook at Sunset are amazing and if you stay in Huddleston near the damn you have the Mountain View’s which are amazing. Can usually find some good and less traveled areas in both.

Comment

• Originally posted by SMLX26 View Post
                          lakedrum03, I would say where NOT to rent a place would come down to what you want to do while you are here. If you want the convenience of shopping/stores/groceries than closer to 122 would be your best bet. In Moneta, there is a Food Lion and several restaurants off the water and on. In Hardy/Westlake you have Kroger and many more restaurant options and the bridge is in between both. Most places on the lake will take you 30 minutes or so to get to the grocery store, but they are a lot less busy in the water.

If looking to get away and relax, the views from Penhook at Sunset are amazing and if you stay in Huddleston near the damn you have the Mountain View’s which are amazing. Can usually find some good and less traveled areas in both.
                          Awesome info! Thanks!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLivinIsEasy View Post
                            The FAQ link I just posted above has information on how to report debris for removal.
                            We have a lake association that reports concerns to AEP and they have a “Lake Beautification Day” once a year when people tow debris to drop off points. Usually you can get a free T-shirt and a hotdog if you stick around for the small cookout that they have afterwards, but I stopped participating when I found out that AEP gives the association $20K a year to help with the cleanup...and to keep the association quiet. I never got a T-shirt and the hotdogs were the cheap red ones!

I cut and burn every weekend for free.
                            “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

• My in laws have a place on the gills creek side. We are usually up here at least twice a month. G9 marker with a blue 2008 X-45 with a bright yellow Bimini. I’ve seen a lot of you guys out and about but never have the opportunity to stop.

Jack

Comment

• Bull Run ski course, it's gonna leave a mark

Bull Run ski course. SMH..how can you NOT tell it's shallow back there? First few times back I was at idle speed, in/out of gear and using depth finder and Navionics app. When we started to ski it, we walked the back with a paddle to probe and make sure there were no stumps, etc. And for sure we didn't get close to either bank...
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	bull run.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	2405367

Comment

Working...
                                X