No announcement yet.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes. I was there once in my X25. Won't go back unless i'm in a Prostar or a john boat.

Comment

• We rented a house 7-8 years ago. It was a great trip. We where always able to find good water not far away. We stayed north of the dam somewhere in a small 2 bedroom house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• SML Friends: Just an FYI, I had a board stolen off my boat Saturday night at Mariner's Landing (actually around the corner at Mariner's Village). We spoke with a couple of other folks that believe the security cameras were tampered with and multiple boards were stolen.

We love SML and have been going for 25 years, so I have always felt very comfortable there. Shame on me for leaving gear on my boat at a community dock, but this frustrating. Hopefully an isolated event during 4th of July.

Lock up your gear! Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wake190 View Post
          SML Friends: Just an FYI, I had a board stolen off my boat Saturday night at Mariner's Landing (actually around the corner at Mariner's Village). We spoke with a couple of other folks that believe the security cameras were tampered with and multiple boards were stolen.

We love SML and have been going for 25 years, so I have always felt very comfortable there. Shame on me for leaving gear on my boat at a community dock, but this frustrating. Hopefully an isolated event during 4th of July.

Lock up your gear! Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else...
          Sorry to hear about your theft. I know the security folks at ML really well, I’ve emailed to ask what if anything he knows. Also have a friend with a lot of gear on his boat the the village, asking him too. I haven’t heard of any missing gear at The Pointe.

Comment

• We spoke with the ML folks and they were very helpful. They also provided me with contact info for the local sheriff.

The other rumors I heard from another couple in the parking lot while I was wiping down my boat, so who knows.

Just want you guys to be aware in case this becomes a trend.

Comment

• Thought I’d take a stab here....

We’ve been renting at SML for the last 5-6 years and are trying to find a place this August. We’ve looked in the usual spots (VRBO, Lake Retreat) and are not finding anything. Does anybody know of options that might be available that might not immediately turn up via the normal searches? We’re a family of 4 or 5 and it’d be great if we could bring our dog, but that part’s not a dealbreaker.

Appreciate any leads!
              Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by ajhoop View Post
                Thought I’d take a stab here....

We’ve been renting at SML for the last 5-6 years and are trying to find a place this August. We’ve looked in the usual spots (VRBO, Lake Retreat) and are not finding anything. Does anybody know of options that might be available that might not immediately turn up via the normal searches? We’re a family of 4 or 5 and it’d be great if we could bring our dog, but that part’s not a dealbreaker.

Appreciate any leads!
                Andy

Did you check AirBnB and Homeaway? You could also reach out to realtors in the area, as they may have leads. I am not surprised that things are booked though. I think early this summer there was a lot available but then people realized camps were closing and places booked up.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajhoop View Post
                  Thought I’d take a stab here....

Appreciate any leads!
                  Andy

Did you check with ML Hospitality? http://www.smlvaca.com/

Comment

• Sounds like there was a tragic wakeboarding accident yesterday. Has anyone heard what happened?

https://wset.com/news/local/one-dead...ds-in-the-area

https://www.wdbj7.com/2020/08/02/vic...dent-saturday/

Comment

• Flood Alert - SML

Water is project to rise to record levels - 799' elevation. As a comparison, the high water event in May didn't make it 798'...so we are talking over a foot higher and a lot more potential damage. If you have any way to get to your boat to lower tower, move boat, etc., or at least make sure it's tied up and wont float away, now is the time!

Comment

• Originally posted by d2jp View Post
                        Water is project to rise to record levels - 799' elevation. As a comparison, the high water event in May didn't make it 798'...so we are talking over a foot higher and a lot more potential damage. If you have any way to get to your boat to lower tower, move boat, etc., or at least make sure it's tied up and wont float away, now is the time!
                        Really sad that they are flooding again this year. I think AEPs management of the water levels was really poor all year.

Edit:
                        Also, particularly problematic this time because so many people are gone for the winter. I imagine there will be a lot of damage. We are good, but thank you for the warning because I am sure there are others who aren't at the lake and are not following it closely!

Comment

• A couple pieces of SML news that I thought might interest folks.

The Landing Restaurant is moving to Mariner's Landing: https://wfirnews.com/news/popular-sm...rant-is-moving

Virginia bill trying to put restrictions on wakesurfing was defeated in the VA House: https://roanoke.com/news/local/bill-...fd98a.amp.html

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLivinIsEasy View Post
                            A couple pieces of SML news that I thought might interest folks.

The Landing Restaurant is moving to Mariner's Landing: https://wfirnews.com/news/popular-sm...rant-is-moving

Virginia bill trying to put restrictions on wakesurfing was defeated in the VA House: https://roanoke.com/news/local/bill-...fd98a.amp.html
                            Thankfully the bill died, but hopefully it brought some awareness to the boating community to follow the rules already in place and to be respectful of other boaters and property owners. What we don't need are more law/rules (that won't be enforced anyway).

I'm on the BoD at The Pointe, where The Landing will be located in the old Heath's Waterfront Grill space. We've been working with PMG to make The Landing deal happen and very excited they are moving here. Mariner's Landing has been revitialized since the new ownership took over last Fall. There are some very cool things happening in 2021 and many more planned for the future.

Comment

• Thanks for the updates on both The Landing as well as the bill dying. I've booked my first week of the summer (6/26 - 7/3). Bringing some SML rookies along this trip. Should be a great time.

I am having trouble finding a house to rent for the week of 7/31 - 8/7. If anyone knows of a nice 4BR property for rent please PM me.

Come on warm weather!!!

Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyoder1 View Post
                                Thanks for the updates on both The Landing as well as the bill dying. I've booked my first week of the summer (6/26 - 7/3). Bringing some SML rookies along this trip. Should be a great time.

I am having trouble finding a house to rent for the week of 7/31 - 8/7. If anyone knows of a nice 4BR property for rent please PM me.

Come on warm weather!!!

Chris
                                Any preference on area for the rental?

Comment

Working...
                                X