Gull Lake, Mi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gull Lake, Mi

Any SW Michiganders wanna school me on Gull Lake? OK, maybe not school me, but offer any insight/suggestions? I’ve never been on it before, but keep hearing about it, so am thinking about taking my girls down there this weekend just to mix it up.

It appears the only launch is on the very north end, is that correct? How early do I need to be there to get a parking spot and to avoid (or at least minimize) the wait?

Any restaurants accessible from the water for lunch?

Anywhere on the lake to avoid?

Any wake restrictions/hours?

Nobody?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 86Skier View Post
      Nobody?

Maybe not.. google earth can help

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Out her now.... great morning!

Comment

A tad chippy

sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Do a write up on the lake.

Maybe we should all do a write up on our home waters.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post

We had a great day out there for the first time on Sunday, despite the winds really picking up as the day went on. My ski never left the case, but with the lake running on an angle from the NW to SE, and the winds coming from the NW, we were able to find useable water all day to surf on the north end, but it definitely got rougher as you worked your way south. Being about 2,000 acres and 3.5 miles long, the waves had a lot of distance with very little protection to build towards the middle and south end. Don’t get me wrong, the boat traffic was still creating a lot of rollers on the north end, but at least it was doable.

The water itself was beautiful… a really turquoise blue color, that almost looked hazy… At least I thought it was "hazy", until one of my girls jumped off the boat and I realized I could still see her perfectly even as she swam deeper. Surface Temps ranged a bit across the lake, but in general were mid to upper 70’s.

We found several of the shallow sand bars near the islands on the south end for the girls to play, while we rafted up with a few other boaters for a couple hours, but otherwise we kept pretty busy.

The boat launch at the north end of the lake seemed well maintained and had room to launch several boats at a time which kept things moving well. It’ll take us a few trips before we really figure out the best time to arrive, though. We pulled in around 10:00 AM, thinking we’d slide in behind the morning fishermen as they leave, but before the pleasure boaters. While we didn’t wait long at all to launch, I only counted about 3 to 5 open parking spaces left, with a ton of morning fishing boat trucks/trailers still in the lot. $10/dunk or $80 for the season.

The mandatory boat wash as you pull out was an oddity to me. I just don’t see that often around here. It seemed convenient, and technically was free (though I did tip the kid $5), but whatever they use, man did it spot my black hull quickly. Normally it’s a quick wipe down with Speed Gloss, but after pulling forward out of the way after they were done hosing, it took some unusually heavy elbow grease to remove the spots they created, between whatever they use for hose water and the hot sun drying it so fast.

Overall, it was definitely a nice change of pace from our small lake. We will still spend most weeknights near home due to proximity, but because our lake is only 215 acres, it becomes a mad-house on Saturday and Sunday, so exploring elsewhere has become fun. At least with the larger size of Gull Lake, even as boat traffic really picked up, there was just way more space per boat to enjoy… especially for my wife, who tenses up pulling skiers, etc., on our small lake once a few idiots arrive that have no common sense and zero ability to watch what others are doing, fall into the rotation, and maintain a counter-clockwise pattern.

Based on first impressions, I can definitely see us heading back down to Gull several weekends throughout the summer.

Comment

Any SW Michiganders wanna school me on Gull Lake? OK, maybe not school me, but offer any insight/suggestions? I’ve never been on it before, but keep hearing about it, so am thinking about taking my girls down there this weekend just to mix it up.

It appears the only launch is on the very north end, is that correct? How early do I need to be there to get a parking spot and to avoid (or at least minimize) the wait?

Any restaurants accessible from the water for lunch?

Anywhere on the lake to avoid?

Any wake restrictions/hours?
                Gull Lake is our home lake away from home. We live close, but not on the lake so we use the north public access. It is $10 to put in for the day. The launch gets very busy after 9:00am, and you will want to come in from the west. Reason I say that is because you will have to sit in the road and wait for others to enter.

There are no public restaurants with water access, BUT across from the launch is NEDS (North End Deli) and they have great pizza, outdoor seating, and great beer. On the very south end is a fired chicken "shop", it is about the size of a yard shed, but very good. I do not think you can get to it from the lake (public docks etc...)

Only place you will really want to avoid while under speed is the sandbar. There will be many boats there so you will see it no problem. The east side of the lake can have shallow spots, but stay 200' off docks and you'll be fine.

I would say that I am biased to our home lake, but Gull is beautiful. The coolest aqua green color around. Since you say "down" to gull lake I am wondering if you are from the GR area? If you have been on Green lake in Caledonia, it has that type of water color from the copper in the water. The lake does have the Kalamaazoo / Stryker / Seele / Upjohn money. Besides being an awesome lake, the sight seeing is pretty fun too.

PM me if you want more information.

Comment

The mandatory boat wash as you pull out was an oddity to me. I just don’t see that often around here.
                  Yaaaa that's because its a busy lake that has invasive species in it.

Think they found a new one they're trying to hold down.

Comment

Originally posted by tjrowbot View Post
                    Since you say "down" to gull lake I am wondering if you are from the GR area?
                    Just south of Holland actually... so I guess "down and over" would have been more accurate.

Comment

My lake is horrible. Always choppy, jet skis and tubers are constantly buzzing any ski boat they see. If that's not bad enough there are tons of cops writing tickets to anyone they can. Rocks and stumps everywhere. I even heard people were getting Covid from the water even while wearing double masks.

I would highly recommend no one ever go on this lake.....

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                        My lake is horrible. Always choppy, jet skis and tubers are constantly buzzing any ski boat they see. If that's not bad enough there are tons of cops writing tickets to anyone they can. Rocks and stumps everywhere. I even heard people were getting Covid from the water even while wearing double masks.

I would highly recommend no one ever go on this lake.....
                        My lake does have swimmers itch, but even worse there is a kracken.

Comment

My lake does have swimmers itch, but even worse there is a kracken.
                          Love it. This is my new tactic to help reduce boat traffic on our lake. I was even spreading a rumor that there was an evasive species that got in the lake that would swim up your Pee Pee in men and cause yeast infections in women. Doesn't seem to be working well though. Every week it seems like the Wally's multiple by a third.

Comment

Illinois river is farm run off and discharge from Chicago water reclamation... ski it and you will grow a tumor.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I kind of wondered if my original post would evolve into this. Sorry for you Gull Lake regulars, additional attention wasn't what I was going for.

But I get it.... and agree with the sentiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X