• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soacj
    MC Fanatic
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by 98 Saleen Cobra View Post
    I paid 55k for my truck in 2013 OTD.. To replace it it's almost 75k.. Guess what my truck is worth right now? 49k... It has 62k miles on it too.. The market keeps going up in cost.. Making resale value higher.. So if you do it right, you can make money.

2013 F-250 PSD - Carli 2.5" Back Country - Fox Racing - BMF - Toyo RT's - Air Ride - AMP Research - Magnaflow - H&S - No Limit Fabrication - Deleted - Tuned - 450rwhp/1000rwtq
    The discussion was specifically regarding the premise of successfully buying a vehicle at a dealer, modding it, and then trading it in for a profit.

Your situation is a perfect example of why it's likely not happening, even given the price bubble on diesel trucks which I've taken advantage of myself. You bought the truck at 55K, and then added a very conservative 6K in aftermarket product, which leaves you at 61K vs. your 49k estimate, for a loss of 12 grand.

Now if you were actually able to sell that truck for 49K, I won't argue that $2400 a year is a horrible sum to pay for the use and fun of owning that truck, but it does not equate to a profit.

Obviously, these figures are leaving what we all pay regardless in taxes, insurance, fuel, and general maintenance out of the equation.

Comment

• mtajpa
      MC Devotee
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by mtajpa View Post
      They wanted to total it but told them their offer was 1/2 of what i wanted. They decide they would fix it. Did a search around the country and showed them some 97's for sale in less than this ones condition they actually agreed to fix it after that.
      Well its finally back after 2 months. Out of pocket cost 0.0. Other party insurance covered it all including 2 months of rental car. Repair is pretty good but not perfect.
      Attached Files
      99 MariStar 230 Sport LTR 330

Comment

• soacj
        MC Fanatic
        • Jul 2004

Well its finally back after 2 months. Out of pocket cost 0.0. Other party insurance covered it all including 2 months of rental car. Repair is pretty good but not perfect.
        Think I've said it before, but beautiful obs F-350. Glad they didn't opt to total it.

Comment

• Wheelin98TJ
          MC Devotee
          • Jul 2015

Man I love that truck.

What did they do with that passenger headlight?

Comment

• MC25
            MC Master Poster
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by soacj View Post
            The discussion was specifically regarding the premise of successfully buying a vehicle at a dealer, modding it, and then trading it in for a profit.

Your situation is a perfect example of why it's likely not happening, even given the price bubble on diesel trucks which I've taken advantage of myself. You bought the truck at 55K, and then added a very conservative 6K in aftermarket product, which leaves you at 61K vs. your 49k estimate, for a loss of 12 grand.

Now if you were actually able to sell that truck for 49K, I won't argue that $2400 a year is a horrible sum to pay for the use and fun of owning that truck, but it does not equate to a profit.

Obviously, these figures are leaving what we all pay regardless in taxes, insurance, fuel, and general maintenance out of the equation.
            See, I don’t keep my vehicles but 6-8 months. So there is virtually no depreciation. I don’t understand how you’re so unwilling to accept any other thought process than your own when you have literally no experience. This is something I do for fun, and often... not to mention I literally own a car dealership. I’ll leave it at that.
            Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
            Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
            2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
            For Sale:
            2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• 1redTA
              MC Devotee
              • Aug 2009

dang Aric, I think if you’re having fun keep doing it. Many people are simply scared to do any work on new vehicles because of them being “electronic,” unfamiliarity, or lack of tools. There is a market for fixing up a vehicle and making a small profit. It doesn’t always happen as a plus but not depending on it to survive ( having a regular job ) allows you to absorb the loss when they do happen
              1981 MasterCraft
              19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
              Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another

Comment

• MIskiboat
                MC Devotee
                • Jul 2004

Love the 350. Had one like it. Would love to have new truck chassis and Powertrain w that body.

Comment

• soacj
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                  See, I don’t keep my vehicles but 6-8 months. So there is virtually no depreciation. I don’t understand how you’re so unwilling to accept any other thought process than your own when you have literally no experience. This is something I do for fun, and often... not to mention I literally own a car dealership. I’ll leave it at that.
                  You know nothing of my experience...

Conversely, if anyone cares to do a little looking here and on Tacomaworld (I owned a Tacoma in the past, and still have a 4Runner, so I'm on there), you give figures and details that amply refute the accounting you gave in a post here yesterday (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...postcount=8186).

That and common sense are among the reasons why I'm so unwilling to accept your assertions. I shouldn't care, but it's been fun, right?

Comment

• Thrall
                    MC Addict
                    • Jul 2004

^ So, what Aric is saying can be done, or in my life, usta could be done. Market and how one buys/sells has changed since I used to flip cars (informally on the side, not for a living). But the premise is the same. For 6-8 years, right out of college, when I finally had a little $ to play with and enough spare time (read: no kids, no extended family drama, etc), I would basically buy my wife a new (used) truck every 6 months or so. Find a deal, buy it, put minimal $ into it to make it "cooler" than the avg off the lot truck. Drive it while constantly looking for the next deal. As soon as deal was found, old truck got sold for the next one.
                    I don't know you could say it MADE us money, but it did keep us in newish vehicles for basically free, not including fuel and maintenance.
                    One thing that helped, was this was in the old un days pre interwebs, where you could find deals that weren't literally sold within minutes of being put for sale. Still had to jump though. Also, without the interwebs, not every seller knew exactly how much 1000 differnet vehicles the same as theirs were advertised for.
                    Also helped that I wasn't in a state that hammered you with sales tax or use tax, so that cost was not a factor.
                    At the same time, I'd pick up projects sporadically. Blown head gasket, smashed bed side, blown fuel pump, etc. Pay less than 50% of avg value for that vehicle, fix it, cash in.

This wasn't a regular thing. Maybe 2 cars in a couple months or none for 2 years. If I stumbled on a deal, I bought it.

Last project was 5 years ago or so. Picked up a cherry 94 Z71, didn't run, didn't present well being sold covered in moss and pine needles. Paid $1000, $500 in parts and a bunch of elbow grease. Sold for $4500.
                    Now I do t have the time to spend all weekend fixing some piece of sht that will be someone else's pride and joy next week.
                    '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

• MC25
                      MC Master Poster
                      • Nov 2007

You know nothing of my experience...

Conversely, if anyone cares to do a little looking here and on Tacomaworld (I owned a Tacoma in the past, and still have a 4Runner, so I'm on there), you give figures and details that amply refute the accounting you gave in a post here yesterday (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...postcount=8186).

That and common sense are among the reasons why I'm so unwilling to accept your assertions. I shouldn't care, but it's been fun, right?
                      I stripped the Tacoma stock, stripped the parts and netted more than my all in. If I can find my paperwork for my red F-150 I’ll be glad to put your uneducated blabberings to rest.

This is comical though. It’s not like I’m making thousands. It’s usually in the several hundreds lol. Hell, my best friend does it with his trucks to, and I built it just like my truck. He rolls his equity every time, and owes in the 20k range on his 80k dollar platinum F250.
                      Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                      Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                      For Sale:
                      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• SteveO
                        MC Maniac
                        • Jan 2005

Can a Mod please change the thread title name to Brodozer Flipper - A day in the life of Aric?
                        2017 NXT22, 2015 NXT20, 2007 X2, 2002 209

Comment

• waterbuffalo
                          TT Enthusiast
                          • Jun 2016

Tow Vehicle & Rig Photos

...and dealership. http://youtu.be/wGLAQL8qI8E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by waterbuffalo; 12-02-2018, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• soacj
                            MC Fanatic
                            • Jul 2004

I'd like to apologize regarding the threadjack--right or wrong, it's not my concern and I had no right or reason to carry it along as far as I did.

More power to Aric if he's able to exercise his love of vehicles and come out ahead.

Comment

• Wheelin98TJ
                              MC Devotee
                              • Jul 2015

I'd like to apologize regarding the threadjack--right or wrong, it's not my concern and I had no right or reason to carry it along as far as I did.

More power to Aric if he's able to exercise his love of vehicles and come out ahead.
                              I think it's a good winter discussion and not too far off topic.

Comment

• paintpollz
                                MC Devotee
                                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                                Count me in on one of these. Yes.
                                Originally posted by osmonet View Post
                                Personally, I like the idea of a removable roof and doors in a truck. That feature would be my draw to this thing.

Driving experience and overall execution would be my concern.
                                Before I said the jeep truck was a dumb truck and I take it back. Because I love the fact that you can remove doors and the roof on jeeps.
                                Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X