Ford 2.7 eco towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 2.7 eco towing

Anybody towing 6k with their 2.7eco? How does it do? Thinking about upgrading to a new camper. Currently I don’t have any issues pulling my 205V with the truck, but I wonder how it will do with the extra weight and horrible aerodynamics of a 5-6k camper. I could trade my 2.7 in and get a 3.5eco, but I really don’t want to start over on another loan.

One of my lake neighbors tows his 22 foot Moomba LSV with his and doesnt have any issues. Not sure how it would do with a camper.

Comment

I can tell you I wouldn't want anything less than my 3.5 eco for pulling my ~6k lb X-30 through the mountains of Colorado. I felt I was using max power up a few of those hills, and gas mileage while towing drops really bad above 65 mph which I imagine would be exaggerated in a 2.5 eco. Would probably be fine anywhere except steep hills or really long trips so depends on what type of towing.

Comment

Sorry, no input on the 2.7L and towing.

You should consider trading/selling your truck and starting over. Used prices are insane right now and Ford is offering 0% on F150s. Your challenge will be finding a new F150.

Comment

I wouldn’t want much less than a 3.5 to do it, but I’d buy the camper and try it first before you trade the truck in. towing a camper is sooooo much different than a boat it’s not even funny. It’s quite miserable all the way around. I got around 5.5 mpg towing my camper which is about 7500 loaded without my side by side in it. If you can find the baby powerstroke I’d give that a shot.

But I’ll say this, 100% get airbags!!! It makes towing a camper with a half ton SO much better.
          -Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2021
          https://www.lonestarmasterbash.com/

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
          2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon - Ear Injurer

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
            I wouldn’t want much less than a 3.5 to do it, but I’d buy the camper and try it first before you trade the truck in. towing a camper is sooooo much different than a boat it’s not even funny. It’s quite miserable all the way around. I got around 5.5 mpg towing my camper which is about 7500 loaded without my side by side in it. If you can find the baby powerstroke I’d give that a shot.

But I’ll say this, 100% get airbags!!! It makes towing a camper with a half ton SO much better.
            I have thought about the diesel f150. I drive 66mi each way to work. Currently drive a fusion back and forth but that may change soon with a child turning 16. Diesel 150 may be my best route for the miles I drive and that’s also the reason I’m not looking into a f250. I’ll be in the dealership in the next couple days and will check some things out. We are trading in our 20 explorer for a 21. Used car values are stupid high right now as we all know and I can’t pass up the deal on the explorer.

Comment

I had a 6K lbs camper and a2007 f150 at one time with the 5.3 V8 (I think, been a long time), obviously very different. But I would not use anything less than the 3.5. I got stuck too many times on mountain HWY barley able to go 30-40 mph in a 70 mph. When someone cuts you off going up hill (happens all the time when towing a trailer) you tap the brakes and then your screwed going up hill. We then upgraded to the f250 diesel and wouldn't use anything less, but shortly after the trailer we upgraded to was a touch over 9k lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by AKralk83 View Post

I have thought about the diesel f150. I drive 66mi each way to work. Currently drive a fusion back and forth but that may change soon with a child turning 16. Diesel 150 may be my best route for the miles I drive and that’s also the reason I’m not looking into a f250. I’ll be in the dealership in the next couple days and will check some things out. We are trading in our 20 explorer for a 21. Used car values are stupid high right now as we all know and I can’t pass up the deal on the explorer.

the only issue is they discontinued the 3.0 Powerstroke for 22. So it may be difficult to find, but will be worth it, especially with reports on the forum of people getting 27-30MPG Highway with them.

In the 487 miles that my GMC 3.0 duramax lasted, it was awesome. I towed my camper with it short distance and it had more than enough power. Needed airbags though.
                -Aric

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder

Comment

the only issue is they discontinued the 3.0 Powerstroke for 22. So it may be difficult to find, but will be worth it, especially with reports on the forum of people getting 27-30MPG Highway with them.

In the 487 miles that my GMC 3.0 duramax lasted, it was awesome. I towed my camper with it short distance and it had more than enough power. Needed airbags though.
                  LOL, 487 miles.

Comment

I know aric had a poor experience with the baby max, but I have heard lots of people really loving them and putting mileage on them. I would not discredit Ram either. Their new half tons are quite impressive and their diesel has been out the longest. I do really like the inline 6 layout for the max though. Also, if you plan on keeping your vehicle for anytime I would not go the ford route with the diesel just off the fact that they did not make many of them.
                    Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

Comment

Originally posted by peytonvp View Post

I know aric had a poor experience with the baby max, but I have heard lots of people really loving them and putting mileage on them. I would not discredit Ram either. Their new half tons are quite impressive and their diesel has been out the longest. I do really like the inline 6 layout for the max though. Also, if you plan on keeping your vehicle for anytime I would not go the ford route with the diesel just off the fact that they did not make many of them.
                      my brother has had a baby max for almost a year/20k miles with no issues. I just have bad GM luck.

the ford 3.0 has been out for a while and they made a lot of them, just not in the states.
                      -Aric

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder

Comment

Originally posted by peytonvp View Post

I choose to not bite the hand that feeds. If I do end up with a new truck it will be a Ford.

Comment

I tow my 1990 Prostar 190 with a 2008 Ford Escape, 4 cyl, AWD. She doesn't necessarily like it...but it's towed it everywhere I needed to go. It's definitely at its max towing capacity. The boat doesn't have much tongue weight, so that helps. I go 60mph in the right lane. I love my Escape... 176k miles and still going lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X