No announcement yet.

Rivian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! Yours looks to be in much better shape- mine has been down the restomodded daily driver path due to nice but not excellent shape

Comment

The Rivian is a great looking electric truck but IMO makes no sense. The minute you start towing the mileage cuts in half. If you have to tow for any long distance the travel time is only going to increase.

I got to ride in a tesla recently and the pure torque from start was incredible. I would imagine the Rivian would be just the same way. I think the Car market is better suited for electric vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
        The Rivian is a great looking electric truck but IMO makes no sense. The minute you start towing the mileage cuts in half. If you have to tow for any long distance the travel time is only going to increase.

I got to ride in a tesla recently and the pure torque from start was incredible. I would imagine the Rivian would be just the same way. I think the Car market is better suited for electric vehicles.
        The towing aspect, among other reasons related to duty cycles of a truck, is why manufacturers should do more with mild-hybrid and head into PHEV territory if they are backed into a corner by standards or having to do more for efficiency other than ICE development. Makes things much more useful and feasible at this point in EV tech. Dodge and Ford have mild-hybrid setups, I don't know if chevy or Toyota have anything like that. Big issue is that the extra cost is probably not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post

If it weren't for the fact that we take our boats once a year on a camping trip, we could easily get away with an electric truck. Heck, it might even come out to be more economical to rent a truck/SUV when EV prices go down for the one time that we do go on the camping trip. 99% of our towing needs is from our garage to the community launch ramp, which is less than 1/2 a mile. Sometimes we go to other lakes, which is still only about 30 miles. 120 mile estimated towing range that these trucks have would be more than sufficient for 99% of our use.

Charge times should also get better as tech improves. That said, we have to start somewhere. An EV truck that would work for at least 50% of the population will be a great start, which I'm sure the current crop of EV trucks will do. New trucks to meet the remaining needs will come in time.

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post

The towing aspect, among other reasons related to duty cycles of a truck, is why manufacturers should do more with mild-hybrid and head into PHEV territory if they are backed into a corner by standards or having to do more for efficiency other than ICE development. Makes things much more useful and feasible at this point in EV tech. Dodge and Ford have mild-hybrid setups, I don't know if chevy or Toyota have anything like that. Big issue is that the extra cost is probably not worth it.
          The Ram Etorque is a joke in terms of being a hybrid setup. All it really is there for is to make the start/stop feature more invisible and for marketing. It really doesn't do much for saving fuel. The real fuel savings of a hybrid/PHEV comes from regenerative braking, which the Etorque is mostly incapable of doing due to how weak it is. You'll only get that fuel savings if you're really light on the gas and brakes.

Ford and Toyota will be the only ones with true hybrid trucks. I don't like the Toyota because they use NiMH batteries and put them inside the cab, unlike Ford which puts them under the bed and uses lithium.

Chevy used to have a hybrid Silverado that was ahead of the time in the late 2000s. Problem is, like Quadrasteer, they forced you to buy the premium packages in order to get the hybrid option, making it very limited on the market and eventually canning it due to low sales. That and the fact that it was limited to 6000 lbs towing due to inadequate cooling of the hybrid transmission setup.

Comment

Priced a F150 Lightning under x-plan and then a new F250SD at same trim level. I can buy a lifetime of diesel for the price difference and towing the sled hauler 170 miles 1 way when it is below zero doesn't seem to play well in the sub 300 mile non-loaded max range.
            Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

Sign of the times. Hopefully they will honor early reservation pricing, but not looking like that's the case

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rivia...012431456.html

Comment

Originally posted by osmonet View Post
                Sign of the times. Hopefully they will honor early reservation pricing, but not looking like that's the case

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rivia...012431456.html
                Soros bought 20 million shares. So now it is all about the money. But not 1 penny from me.

Comment

I saw a Rivian on the road last weekend, but unfortunately did not get pics.

Comment

Welp, late yesterday afternoon Rivian decided to inform it’s 80k+ early depositors that they were raising prices by 15-22% depending upon configuration.

Many promptly cancelled orders, and are rightfully outraged. I’ll spare the details but in short Rivian treated the good faith of its evangelical loyal depositors with nothing but bad faith.

Stock is down 12% in early trading this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by moosehead View Post
                      Welp, late yesterday afternoon Rivian decided to inform it’s 80k+ early depositors that they were raising prices by 15-22% depending upon configuration.

Many promptly cancelled orders, and are rightfully outraged. I’ll spare the details but in short Rivian treated the good faith of its evangelical loyal depositors with nothing but bad faith.

Was not a great move on their end but that is what happens when you promise stuff way too far in advance.
                      Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

Comment

That's because Amazon and Soros aren't making enough money. So the little guy gets screwed

Comment

The service center is fully make over any kind of repair and improve its looks and adding other part of car

Comment

Originally posted by Poragn View Post
                            The service center is fully make over any kind of repair and improve its looks and adding other part of car
                            how do we report a spammer here?

Comment

Founder of Rivian reversed course this morning after a deluge of depositor cancellations the past 24 hours and is honoring all early depositor pricing. Note the deposit agreement allowed any price increases, but it was the manner, magnitude, and timing of the price increase that was wrong. Gotta give them credit for taking responsibility for their mistakes, let's see if they can execute. Next week's earning's call should be high pressure.

Comment

Maybe this isn't apples to apples, but on boat forums, you sure saw a lot of people defending the companies for doing the exact same thing to their customers despite record sales. Of course some were outraged, but many were going out of their way to justify it. Kind of interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X