Ideas for duping a GMC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for duping a GMC?

My favorite feature on the GMC is the side view it shows when you put your turn signal on, but it only does this when a trailer is hooked up. Anyone have any ideas for duping the truck into thinking there is a trailer back there all the time? I tried just turning on towhaul and hooking up one of these with no success: https://www.homedepot.com/p/CURT-7-W...s&locale=en-US

Any other ideas? Here is a video of what I'm talking about for the unititated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gl3hi1GX8M
    2020 Table Rock Mastercraft Reunion Poker Run Champion

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread, help me bring it back: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...58#post1494758

"LDA never saw a thread he couldn't run off the rails"

My Escalade does the same thing and I actually thought it was a little glitch and was supposed to be happening all the time (like Kia/Hyundai)… called the dealer and guess not. It’d be nice if we can figure this out. Following.
    -Tolman
    '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
    '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

You are probably on the right path with that tester only it probably doesn't generate enough resistance to be detected by the computer.

If you bought one of those and then open it up and wire in a resistor to the LED for the turn signal you'd probably have the same effect. Although with the problem of having that stupid thing hanging out all the time.

If you figure out how much resistance is needed you could cut one of those down to fit entirely under the cover (leave some sort of pull tab) solder in resistors across from the grounds to the turn prongs, then once it is proven to work you can pump the whole assembly full of something like epoxy or silicone caulk, let that harden and install under the flap.

After all if the tester works then the circuit is completed but if that doesn't trigger the computer then it must need some amount of load on the circuit, which would be easily estimated by the wattage of common trailer turn signals but could be approximated easily with a few resistors.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
        You are probably on the right path with that tester only it probably doesn't generate enough resistance to be detected by the computer.

If you bought one of those and then open it up and wire in a resistor to the LED for the turn signal you'd probably have the same effect. Although with the problem of having that stupid thing hanging out all the time.

If you figure out how much resistance is needed you could cut one of those down to fit entirely under the cover (leave some sort of pull tab) solder in resistors across from the grounds to the turn prongs, then once it is proven to work you can pump the whole assembly full of something like epoxy or silicone caulk, let that harden and install under the flap.

After all if the tester works then the circuit is completed but if that doesn't trigger the computer then it must need some amount of load on the circuit, which would be easily estimated by the wattage of common trailer turn signals but could be approximated easily with a few resistors.
        Rats, when it didn't work I went ahead and returned it, though I am not sure I am crafty enough (especially with electricity) to build my own. My search continues....
        2020 Table Rock Mastercraft Reunion Poker Run Champion

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread, help me bring it back: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...58#post1494758

"LDA never saw a thread he couldn't run off the rails"

Comment

Its also probably something that could be set in the computer using something like a Carista

Comment

You could check with White Automotive and Media Services (WAMS) to see if that’s an option they offer with their BCM programming service.

Comment

I wonder if one of those brake light blocks (I don't know what they are called) you put in the hitch receiver would work.

Comment

Working...
              X