Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F250 Lariat w/ Tremor Package (7.3L Gasser) – Towing Opinions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • F250 Lariat w/ Tremor Package (7.3L Gasser) – Towing Opinions?

    I currently have an F150 Lariat Supercrew with the 3.5 Eco, but am in the market for a new truck. My current one has done well towing my 2014 X2, but I’m aiming for a heavy duty this go around as I’m also considering moving on to something like an XT22 in the next year or two.

    Has anybody towed much with the 7.3L gasser? I finally found a 2022 on a dealer lot (technically used, but only 1,800 miles, so close enough), but it’s equipped with the 7.3 vs. a diesel which I was originally looking for. In reality, gas probably makes more sense to me anyway, since 80-90% of my time is commuting, but we do make several 1000+ mile trips each summer towing the boat, so would like input from anyone who’s running one before I make a decision.

    Also, how's the Tremor suspension vs. standard set-up?


    I don’t have mountains to deal with here in Michigan, so primarily fairly flat/level towing, but I hate slugging along in the slow lane up hills, too, so do not want to be lacking in power.

    Any and all input is appreciated... except "buy a dodge, buy a chevy, etc"... it's going to be a Ford.

  • #2
    A 250 with the 7.3 Gasser? with Tremor? heck yeah get that thing! I love it!!!! You will have plenty of power for X22
    Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

    2008 Prostar 214 MCX
    1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
    Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

    "Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
    "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

    Comment


    • #3
      I think Slayer has that exact truck and pulls a new 25LSV with it.
      -Tolman
      '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
      '06 X30 (Sold)

      "Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

      Comment


      • #4
        Of course it is not going to pull like the 6.7 would but you are not going to feel like it is struggling either. It will drink lots of fuel and will pull like any gas engine does. You would be surprised at how much punch your ecoboost has compared to the 7.3 though. I think you will tell more of a difference in the way the truck handles the weight you are towing then the actual power that is there. I always prefer a diesel when pulling distance with any real weight behind it but you will find people that are very opinionated on both sides. Tremor is going to ride a little rougher and mileage will be cut a little but it comes down to what is more important to you.
        Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by peytonvp View Post
          Of course it is not going to pull like the 6.7 would but you are not going to feel like it is struggling either. It will drink lots of fuel and will pull like any gas engine does. You would be surprised at how much punch your ecoboost has compared to the 7.3 though. I think you will tell more of a difference in the way the truck handles the weight you are towing then the actual power that is there. I always prefer a diesel when pulling distance with any real weight behind it but you will find people that are very opinionated on both sides. Tremor is going to ride a little rougher and mileage will be cut a little but it comes down to what is more important to you.
          That kind of sums up my thoughts. I like the ride of my F150 (on my 4th or 5th in a row), and love the ecoboost (even after saying I'd never ditch a V8).... It's not a sports car, but for a half ton truck, when in sport mode, it darn near feels like one... and to be honest, it tows very well for what it is.

          That said, I want the added weight and wheel-base of an F250 this go-around, and that has me comparing the engines available. Fuel mileage doesn't bother me much, just don't want sluggish and I don't want "squishy" suspension when loaded down towing, which is why I'm questioning the 7.3 vs. diesel and the Tremor vs. conventional set-up.

          Really appreciate the input!
          Last edited by 86Skier; 08-03-2022, 10:04 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have not had a tremor 250 or one with a 7.3 but I tow our xt23 with a 22 F250 with the 6.7 and its incredible. Had an F150 Ecoboost prior and while it did a great job for a light duty truck there just is no comparison to the f250. The power from the 6.7 is absurd and the exhaust brake is my favorite, it makes stop and go and back road travel so much smoother and low stress. Also the blind spot system that can include your trailer is a nice feature.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 86Skier View Post
              I currently have an F150 Lariat Supercrew with the 3.5 Eco, but am in the market for a new truck. My current one has done well towing my 2014 X2, but I’m aiming for a heavy duty this go around as I’m also considering moving on to something like an XT22 in the next year or two.

              Has anybody towed much with the 7.3L gasser? I finally found a 2022 on a dealer lot (technically used, but only 1,800 miles, so close enough), but it’s equipped with the 7.3 vs. a diesel which I was originally looking for. In reality, gas probably makes more sense to me anyway, since 80-90% of my time is commuting, but we do make several 1000+ mile trips each summer towing the boat, so would like input from anyone who’s running one before I make a decision.

              Also, how's the Tremor suspension vs. standard set-up?


              I don’t have mountains to deal with here in Michigan, so primarily fairly flat/level towing, but I hate slugging along in the slow lane up hills, too, so do not want to be lacking in power.

              Any and all input is appreciated... except "buy a dodge, buy a chevy, etc"... it's going to be a Ford.
              I cant add anything that others havent already stated but I am curious why its going to be a Ford? I can absolutely appreciate brand loyalty but just curious why you wouldn't explore anything else.

              Comment


              • #8
                I've driven them all with my work fleet, and simply feel at home in a Ford. GMC/Chevy just seem to have a lot of catch up to play, and I can't get over past issues with dodge from years past. I keep hearing they're better... they improved... they're great... but that primarily comes from new, short term owners. Long term, dodge has a history in my head of nightmares. Ford's have been great to me for decades, and I just got old I guess and unwilling to try anything else. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Haha

                Comment


                • #9
                  I am sure I'll catch some flack for this, but I have a 2015 F150 3.5 EB crew cab 6.5' bed. The truck has 35" tires, 4.10 gears, raptor front suspension with upgraded springs, full race intercooler, CR manifolds, turbo outlets, trans thermostat delete, tuner with brew city boost adaptive MacGyver tune. We purchased a 2016 X26 this year and so far I have used this truck to pick the boat up from NC and drive it back to NJ, and then last week we took the boat on vacation down to Kiawah Island, SC. The truck tows really well for what it is, I can maintain 75 without much issue. Gets somewhere around 9.5-10 mpg while towing (hard to say because I had a bike rack on the front hitch for the SC trip and I know that hurt me). Only thing I want to add to the truck is some air springs for leveling the rear while loaded.

                  We have a brand new boatmate trailer that tows like a dream with brakes on both axles.

                  I know my buddy has a 2017 F250 with the 6.2 and he gets worse milage with a lighter trailer.

                  The 7.3 is a stout engine, but I have yet to tow with it. I'm sure it would do the job no problem, but I don't like driving a superduty for a daily personally.

                  As for the Tremor, according to this article you get F350 leaf packs, so the suspension would not be "squishy". The rest of the Tremor package is mostly badging, coloring, accents, ETC. The only downside I see is the Tremor is only available in a crew cab short bed. I prefer the biggest bed possible for the model.

                  As far as reliability of the 7.3, I have yet to see any engine failures personally, although I have heard of some dropping valves. Ford does appear to copy the GM LS coil design with a VC mounted coil that then has a short wire to the plug. I have replaced a ton of these wires on low milage trucks, sometimes you get a dead miss and sometimes it will mis under load only. If I was towing with one I would have a few spares in the glove box, along with a little pocket scanner to be able to ID what cly is down. Easy enough fix on the side of the road.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Pretty certain I'm going to go pick up a 2022 Suburban 4WD Z71 fully loaded. 6.2, mag ride, air ride, esd, lux, trailer, black/black.

                    All I need from a family hauler, and coming off a Z71 LTZ Silverado, which was a mistake. Not because it wasn't a great truck, but I downsized too early. Looking forward to getting back to 6.2 and 10-speed.

                    Not planning on pulling anything new over 7500.

                    Talk me out of it.

                    Nothing else out there (available) fits me, or my family. FWIW we ski A LOT come winter. 54 days last year. Looking for some space, headroom and a few more creature comforts driving.

                    tear me apart...


                    Click image for larger version

Name:	30550986465x640.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	2711807
                    ¡Viva 205V!
                    2003 X2 MCX

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by brucemac View Post
                      Pretty certain I'm going to go pick up a 2022 Suburban 4WD Z71 fully loaded. 6.2, mag ride, air ride, esd, lux, trailer, black/black.

                      All I need from a family hauler, and coming off a Z71 LTZ Silverado, which was a mistake. Not because it wasn't a great truck, but I downsized too early. Looking forward to getting back to 6.2 and 10-speed.

                      Not planning on pulling anything new over 7500.

                      Talk me out of it.

                      Nothing else out there (available) fits me, or my family. FWIW we ski A LOT come winter. 54 days last year. Looking for some space, headroom and a few more creature comforts driving.

                      tear me apart...


                      Click image for larger version

Name:	30550986465x640.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	2711807
                      Chevy has not made a decent product in a decade. Which is so disappointing, as I consider myself a Chevy guy. I travel a bunch, so I get to drive all sorts of different vehicles.

                      Consistently, Ford and Toyota make great impressions on me. If I was in the market, I would consider the Ford Expedition or the Toyota Sequoia. The Toyo is a clean sheet redesign this year and they look great. Also, the Toyo is getting 20mpg with 437hp/583 lb.-ft..

                      Ditch the Chevy until they get their head out of their rear-end.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post

                        Chevy has not made a decent product in a decade. Which is so disappointing, as I consider myself a Chevy guy. I travel a bunch, so I get to drive all sorts of different vehicles.

                        Consistently, Ford and Toyota make great impressions on me. If I was in the market, I would consider the Ford Expedition or the Toyota Sequoia. The Toyo is a clean sheet redesign this year and they look great. Also, the Toyo is getting 20mpg with 437hp/583 lb.-ft..

                        Ditch the Chevy until they get their head out of their rear-end.
                        I do not want to start a brand bashing thread on here but I do not agree with the above statement on saying that GM has not made a good product in the last decade. I personally am very impressed with the new Escalade (I have not been in a Tahoe or Yukon yet but imagine they will be close to the same). I would love to know what you think is a knock on newer Chevy's compared to old. Sure they used to be way more simple and practically bulletproof but the only auto manufacture that held true with until now was Toyota and now even they are having to adopt more modern tech. I have had great luck with my GM vehicles in the past along with fords and rams. There are always going to be bad apples with every manufacturer and think they all make some really good product this day in time.
                        Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post

                          Chevy has not made a decent product in a decade. Which is so disappointing, as I consider myself a Chevy guy. I travel a bunch, so I get to drive all sorts of different vehicles.

                          Consistently, Ford and Toyota make great impressions on me. If I was in the market, I would consider the Ford Expedition or the Toyota Sequoia. The Toyo is a clean sheet redesign this year and they look great. Also, the Toyo is getting 20mpg with 437hp/583 lb.-ft..

                          Ditch the Chevy until they get their head out of their rear-end.
                          It's too bad they don't have a Sequoia in an Expedition EL/Suburban size. I love my 16' Expedition EL, but am holding my breath waiting for stupid repairs to come....like the lug nuts that swelled up and had to be replaced (w. t. f.). I sent those back to Ford's CEO with a nice letter. It did tow nice down to Norris and back from Ohio, made me love it even more.

                          Trust is lost in buckets and gained in raindrops. GM's bucket tipped over in 07-08 with the AFM as I watched 2 buddies have to replace engines in their Suburbans....and yet the 5.3 remains. I think GM's bucket is still laying on its side.
                          2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.

                          "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson
                          "Freedom is beneficial to everyone equally" - Ron Paul
                          Taxation = Theft

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I posted this pic in the "Tow Vehicle & Rig Photos" thread, but adding here as well to bring the thread back around.

                            Only a week on it so far, but I've already towed the boat several times and am thus far extremely pleased with the truck. The 7.3L is clearly not a diesel, but it's a fun engine to drive and tows very well.... I can also fill the truck, pull forward, fill the boat vs. circling around to different pumps (I know, minor inconvenience, but I like not having to worry about it).

                            Fuel mileage isn't great (13-14 mixed driving, about 10 towing) but I knew that and am not surprised or disappointed with the numbers. The only real drawbacks I've noticed are the lack of ventilated seats (was told they were on the build sheet, but deleted by Ford... chip related maybe?) and the small-ish fuel tank.... 36 gallons was great with my 3.5 eco, but inadequate on this one in my opinion. I would have liked to adjust a couple things, but it's very close to what I would have ordered, and saved waiting almost a year, so I'm content.


                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20220806_130311b.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	2711815

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Y'all aren't very convincing. 6.2L, Schmaga-ride, air-asist and ESD. I'm good. Details awaiting scheduling.

                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2372.jpg Views:	0 Size:	366.2 KB ID:	2711886
                              ¡Viva 205V!
                              2003 X2 MCX

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X