2020 GMC Denali 4x4 3.0 Duramax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 GMC Denali 4x4 3.0 Duramax

Is anyone using the new 1500 Duramax to tow? I am looking between MasterCraft X26 and Xstar and I am concerned about weight of X26. Benefit of x26 is the triple axel trailer but its pushing 9k while Xstar is closer to 7800. Truck says can pull upwards of 9300 but would appreciate any insight from someone who has already been towing with one.

Originally posted by ViperRedX80 View Post
    Is anyone using the new 1500 Duramax to tow? I am looking between MasterCraft X26 and Xstar and I am concerned about weight of X26. Benefit of x26 is the triple axel trailer but its pushing 9k while Xstar is closer to 7800. Truck says can pull upwards of 9300 but would appreciate any insight from someone who has already been towing with one.

I owned a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel for 3 years. Towed an X25 with it. Even with 3.92 gears, I could not do better than 45 mph on hills steeper than 5% and with that small displacement, its engine braking capability was limited.

Unless you’re only towing a few miles on flat terrain, I think you are setting yourself up for some serious drama and disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Appreciate the feedback.... in what I read the new baby Duramax is supposed to pull much better than the dodge ecodiesel but its new to me have haven't towed yet with it.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback.... in what I read the new baby Duramax is supposed to pull much better than the dodge ecodiesel but its new to me have haven't towed yet with it.

So you already own it?

Comment

Here is one towing “review”. It’s mostly the host slobbering all over the GMC engineer who spouts more abbreviations than I could keep up with.

If I were you, I’d go find someone with a big boat and take it for a spin. Stopping is just as important as accelerating.

https://youtu.be/salX8Ho0Xog

Comment

Yes, It’s my daily driver just haven’t used it for much for towing.

Comment

Yes, It’s my daily driver just haven’t used it for much for towing.
              Here is the Silverado version being put to the test by the annoying Fast Lane guys. Still, their Ike Gauntlet is a legit test of towing capabilities.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/11/202...re-ever-video/

Comment

i can't stand internet tow guy! with that said...

dude towing an x26 with a half ton is just bonkers to me. Look at tongue weight and payload of the truck.

my x22 loaded with gas and gear pushes my f350 around more than a steel trailer with a large bob cat, bucket, brush hog attachment, and forks attachments in the bed of the truck.

it aint about the acceleration it's about handling at speed and stopping. in fact slow acceleration with a half ton may be the safest thing about the half ton pulling an x26 (or x star).

Comment

My 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi towed my X26 just fine. I didn’t exceed the tow rating, I was conscious of tongue weight and drove as if I was dragging a 9000# trailer behind me, I.e, increased following distance,, etc... go figure. But I’ve been called bonkers for lots of other reasons.

I’ll be in an X24 next season and I plan to tow it with my 1500, too.

Comment

I have heard great things about the baby duramax. Got to understand that engine could pull the boat faster if it was geared right. They aren't made to tow stuff like that any length or great distance. I think someone said it, but if you are just going a couple miles to put boat in the water you are fine but I wouldn't do it on long trips. YOu will eventually ruin the tranny. Always keep an eye on the trans temp.
                    I would buy the 6.6L in a 2500HD you will never be disappointed. I have 233k on my 3rd one and still running strong.
                    2017 XT23

2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
                    Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Comment

Originally posted by XC500mod View Post
                      it aint about the acceleration it's about handling at speed and stopping. in fact slow acceleration with a half ton may be the safest thing about the half ton pulling an x26 (or x star).
                      Sounds spot on, 180 cubic inches of diesel engine will only sustain speed on an uphill grade for so long, it is a capable engine size with the right load. 9300Lbs at highway speeds hooked to a half ton suspension is walking a thin line between success and disaster. While a few half tons are rated at up to 12,000 lbs towing capacity, few ppl who tow for a living would consider it and opt for the stability of a 3/4 ton suspension. When that tail starts waggin the dog the white knuckles come out and the pooper puckers. You cant just reach down and tag the electric brakes and straighten the rig out. Surge brakes are just about worthless when the towable has other ideas and starts playing with the truck.
                      I'd be interested to hear of others' experience with this little motor, I'm looking for something to replace my Ram Eco.
                      Last edited by zsqure; 08-18-2020, 12:30 PM.
                      https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/302328.png
                      1988 prostar 190 SOLD
                      2001 Prostar 209 SOLD

Comment

Big boat requires big truck. You may be close or within the "max tow" of the truck, but add gear, fluids, people in truck and pretty confident you'll be over your payload weight on 1/2 ton with that boat. We use a 2020 GMC 3500 Denali (single rear wheel) with Duramax to pull our X26. Would never go back to a 1/2 ton to tow ours.

Acceleration should be last on your list of considerations. Panic stops, wind, crazy drivers (other people) are at the top of the reasons list.

Comment

if you buy a 3/4 ton diesel just go to the one ton.. same except for overload springs... the ride is exactly the same... and sometimes the one tons are cheaper than the 3/4 tons.. your state regulations may be different though... here in the north we get a deal a one ton is $139/year to register a 3/4 ton is 10% of the MSRP... so a $700 extra fee.... YMMV...

with a diesel 1/2 ton what is the payload? you run out of payload long before towing capacity.. a gas 1/2 would likely work with the 6.2 in it... or get a 3/4 ton gas for extra payload.. though the 2020 payloads on the 3/4 diesels has increased allot!

Comment

Towing anything with a half ton larger than a landscape trailer sucks.
                            Kevin

Comment

the 3.0 baby max looks great on paper until you see the oil pump is belt driven and the procedures/maintenance schedule
                              1981 MasterCraft
                              19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
                              Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another

Comment

Working...
                              X