Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4 Ton Recommendations

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the market for a 3/4 ton truck. I've narrowed it down to either a 2019+ Ram 2500 or a 2017-2019 Chevrolet 2500HD. The chevy would be used and the ram could be either new or used, but I'm finding less incentive to buy used on the rams. I did consider jumping to a 1 ton, but I don't expect to ever own/tow a fifth wheel / gooseneck and feel that the payload (albeit limited) on the 3/4 will accomplish what I need as long as I don't go crazy with options.

I am still on the fence on gas vs. diesel, but that's not really the specific point of this post. My question is any direct experience or watch outs for either of these model ranges? For either the gas or diesel powertrain options, are there any massive red flags or are they all generally on the same level? I'm leaning towards diesel because it seems they are far more available in the trim levels I'm looking at both used and new, but if I'm honest with myself a gas would likely be more than suitable.

We will be towing an X23 primarily and do several 1000 mile round trip pulls each summer through the midwest on top of the normal weekend launching and shuffling back and forth. It would also be my daily driver for a 30 mile each way commute (assuming I start going back to the office at some point). I do have commuter train access, so it's possible to limit using the truck for commuting to only a few days a week. We typically also defer to the truck as our road trip vehicle for visiting family versus our Acura MDX once you load in car seats for two kids, dog, luggage, etc.

For those that might ask, I've ruled out the Ford super duty because it won't fit in my garage and the turning radius is incrementally worse than the two above which would make getting in / out of my tight alley driveway more frustrating than it already is. I really like the Fords, but I also like being able to park inside.

I'm coming from a 2017 F150 lariat crewcab eco boost and have had great luck with it and don't want to give up too many of the options. The real reason we're moving out of the 1/2 ton is the 5000lb weight carrying trailer weight limit, but a bigger/more stable platform would be nice for the longer pulls. Given I have a lariat now, I'd likely be looking at a big horn level 2/Laramie or LTZ level.

We try to buy used and keep our vehicles at least 5-7 years, but life has been changing so fast that it isn't always possible. If we did end up going the new route, we'd try to push replacement out further.

Welcome any thoughts or feedback on these options or others I've missed.

Thanks!

My $0.02:

I have always discounted the Ram, unless you plan to get the Cummins.

I have always been a Chevy guy through and through. However, right now I own 2 Toyotas and planning to buy another one. If you are doing road trips towing and other misc hard work, then I could not recommend a diesel more. Gas motors in 3/4 ton trucks get terrible mileage and always feel underpowered to me.

Get the Chevy Duramax and you will never look back.

Comment

Avoid GM trucks like the plague.
      Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
      Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
      For Sale:
      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

The MegaCab cannot be beat in terms of comfort for long family trips in the HD class. It is a very big truck though (equivalent to crew cab 8' bed in length), and might not suit your turning radius and garage needs.

Given the distance you would be driving, definitely go for a diesel. We went for a gas truck because we use it for long distance maybe 4 times a year, and the rest of the time it is 1/2 mile hops to the launch ramp.

The luxury trims on the Dodge are far better than Chevy, Chevy is playing catchup right now. The coil spring suspension on the 2500 Dodge will provide a more comfortable ride, especially if paired with the air suspension option. The 2020+ Rams apparently get an optional 50 gallon fuel tank, which can be handy for long trips.

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
          Does that mean go with a Ram?

Are there specific issues behind your statement? I'm admittedly not educated on the GM HD platform, so I don't know what skeletons are in the closet. I did limit my search to 2017 and newer for the L5P given the amount I read on prior generation diesels.

Comment

Seems like slightly used (1-3 yo) trucks hold their value to the point where new is really attractive. New Tundra is being introduced in a few months. Might be something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsumi View Post
              The MegaCab cannot be beat in terms of comfort for long family trips in the HD class. It is a very big truck though (equivalent to crew cab 8' bed in length), and might not suit your turning radius and garage needs.

Given the distance you would be driving, definitely go for a diesel. We went for a gas truck because we use it for long distance maybe 4 times a year, and the rest of the time it is 1/2 mile hops to the launch ramp.

The luxury trims on the Dodge are far better than Chevy, Chevy is playing catchup right now. The coil spring suspension on the 2500 Dodge will provide a more comfortable ride, especially if paired with the air suspension option. The 2020+ Rams apparently get an optional 50 gallon fuel tank, which can be handy for long trips.
              I unfortunately would not be looking at megacabs due to overall length. I need something that's less than ~245 inches with a "crew cab".

The long drive efficiency does have me leaning towards diesel, but I keep reading horror stories about emission issues. Assuming it's new(er), warranty should help alleviate some of the risks/concerns.

I thought the 50 gallon was only for 8' beds, but honestly that's another issue I have with the gas versions...range. I'm ok with less than stellar mileage, but not if it means I have to pull over at every gas station because the tank is tiny.

Comment

I'm surprised the Ford is that much bigger than the other brands (especially a Megacab), I wouldn't have expected that. I vote build a bigger garage and get a Ford...

If you plan to commute daily with it I would get a gasser for sure. The newer diesels need to be worked hard pretty consistently to be worth it and avoid repairs to the exhaust gimmicks.

Ford's 7.3 gas motor is pretty impressive. Of the other 2, it's probably a toss up.

Comment

How did I know you would be on this thread? lol

Too each his own and not saying you didn't have issues.

Here is mine though.

I am on my 4th Chevy 2500HD Duramax and haven't had anything major. I have also had a 2500HD gaser and I just don't like gas no matter what brand.

First one was an 02 I put over 140k on it. My second was an 07 and diesel went to 5 bucks/gal. Loved it though. My third I currently still have Its an 11 and I have 245k on it. Just bought my 19 and have about 25k on it.

I have had nothing out of the ordinary on any of them. I have been on ford sites and dodge and hear horror stories just like I hear about GM. I had a buddy buy a brand new ford and didn't make it home.

I don't think there is really much difference in the brands these days, however I will say that the dodge suspension is not as heavy as the fords and gms. They are way to light. Good engine though.

by 2 cents.
                  2017 XT23

2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
                  Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Comment

Says the guy who's about to be on his 3rd F350 this month
                    2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L

Originally posted by uplandbird
                    Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS View Post
                      I'm surprised the Ford is that much bigger than the other brands (especially a Megacab), I wouldn't have expected that. I vote build a bigger garage and get a Ford...

If you plan to commute daily with it I would get a gasser for sure. The newer diesels need to be worked hard pretty consistently to be worth it and avoid repairs to the exhaust gimmicks.

Ford's 7.3 gas motor is pretty impressive. Of the other 2, it's probably a toss up.
                      The ford crew cab went to 250" in 2017 and so did GM in 2020. The GM generation prior to 2020 was at ~240" and Ram is at ~238" for the standard crew cab. The Ram mega cab is up there with the newer fords though.

If only I could build a bigger garage...I literally am taking every inch with my ~244" F150 and can not figure out a way to squeeze any more out of the garage. It was the one downside of the house. It's really too bad because I probably would jump on a F250 6.7 or 7.3 gas.

My commute is fairly long so I had assumed it wouldn't be as big of an issue for the diesel, but it does make me nervous.

Comment

My opinion is that you are making a mistake going to a 3/4 ton diesel. You aren't anywhere close to the limit of the F150. Moving to a diesel now would be a nightmare. Fuel costs are about to skyrocket and dealing with DEF and DPF problems is a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by jbmccul View Post
                          Says the guy who's about to be on his 3rd F350 this month
                          Not the fault of ford or ford parts.

GM service, quality of parts and ride quality is laughable. The fact that GM wouldn’t even try to fix a dangerous problem with my 2020 Denali 3500 is the final straw with me never touching a GM product again. Sure I’ve had ford issues and am experiencing some dealer faulted wounds, but nothing like the issues I’ve had on my GM trucks.

L5P with the 10 spd which would limit you to 2020+ is the only way I’d go. Rams 6spd is weak and always has been weak, but they make a dang nice truck right now especially given the reliability of the cummins.
                          Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                          Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                          2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                          For Sale:
                          2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Originally posted by stuartmcnair View Post
                            My opinion is that you are making a mistake going to a 3/4 ton diesel. You aren't anywhere close to the limit of the F150. Moving to a diesel now would be a nightmare. Fuel costs are about to skyrocket and dealing with DEF and DPF problems is a pain.
                            I appreciate the comment and I'm struggling with this point. But in the end, the F150 is limited to 5000 lbs trailer weight and 500 lbs tongue weight with a weight carrying hitch. Using a WD on MC trailers is not recommended and tricky at best. Finally, the X23 is over 8000lbs loaded (8500 GVWR).

I just can't take that trailer weight on long interstate trips with my F150 and carry that liability with my family. We've discussed it at length as a family and just don't feel it's worth it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stuartmcnair View Post
                              Depends on how long you plan to drive it and how much pulling you actually do.
                              2017 XT23

Comment

Working...
                              X