• Show
Clear All

Here’s the Ultraterrains on the Jeep:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultraterrain on JT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	2413236
    Last edited by Wheelin98TJ; 09-29-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danwell View Post
      I have Duratracs on my truck also. They seem to wear well and have good towing stability. On my next tire change, I'm planning to order the Ridge Grapplers from 4wheelonline. Just like the Duratrac, their tread design is more aggressive than a typical all-terrain tire.
      I ran one set of Trail Grappler Nitto on my truck and swore I would never put any more on it. They were almost completely gone (wouldn't pass inspection) by about 25k miles. I don't have any personal background on the Ridge Grappler though. My son swears with Toyo Open Country R/T ... I ran one set of those but had 2 with thread separation about 15k miles and opted to go back to the Duratrac (they came out with the 285 & 295 in a load range E finally, only reason I tried the Nitto & Toyo).

Comment

I was happy with the Duratracs on my '16 Sierra ATX. So much that I put them on my Sprinter 3500 DRW.
        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
          I ran one set of Trail Grappler Nitto on my truck and swore I would never put any more on it. They were almost completely gone (wouldn't pass inspection) by about 25k miles. I don't have any personal background on the Ridge Grappler though. My son swears with Toyo Open Country R/T ... I ran one set of those but had 2 with thread separation about 15k miles and opted to go back to the Duratrac (they came out with the 285 & 295 in a load range E finally, only reason I tried the Nitto & Toyo).
          Have had 1 set of Ridge Grapplers and now inherited a set of Toyo RTs, which were basically new last winter.
          Both are the least impressive tires for snow and ice traction that claim to be a AT tire that I’ve ever had. I didn’t sipe the RTs last year but will this winter although now they’re about 50% worn.
          Terra Grapplers are great AT tires. Comparable to Toyo ATs imo for traction and tread wear but cheaper by a large margin and slightly louder.
          '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Originally posted by Thrall View Post
            Have had 1 set of Ridge Grapplers and now inherited a set of Toyo RTs, which were basically new last winter.
            Both are the least impressive tires for snow and ice traction that claim to be a AT tire that I’ve ever had. I didn’t sipe the RTs last year but will this winter although now they’re about 50% worn.
            Terra Grapplers are great AT tires. Comparable to Toyo ATs imo for traction and tread wear but cheaper by a large margin and slightly louder.
            Do you have someone who sipes tires for you, or do you do it yourself?

I don't know of anyone who does this anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
              Do you have someone who sipes tires for you, or do you do it yourself?

I don't know of anyone who does this anymore.
              There are a few local places and the Les Schwab Tires chain stores.
              I’m sure it’s not so popular anymore, and if I could t get it done, I’d consider buying the tool.
              IMO, it’s one of those things hints that has gone by the wayside, either because one can buy literally 100 different tread designs and compounds to accel at about any conditions. Or due to some liability bs.

But it’s the single best thing iMO one can do for snow and ice save for dedicated winter tires and/or studs.
              And through multiple sets, I’ve noticed no decreased tread life, even on a set that hauled our very heavy truck camper a few thousand miles a year.
              '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Working...
              X