Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HO Hovercraft ski

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HO Hovercraft ski

    Any one try one? thoughts?

  • #2
    I have one, the kids love it. I've done it a few times myself. It's like a hybrid wakeboard/ski in that you go slower and the width of it makes it easer to get up. Supposedly you can jump the wake with it but I haven't seen that yet, a guy does it in one of the HO videos.
    2000 Prostar 205V

    Comment


    • #3
      I have one. It has the same surface area as a combo set making it a great ski for beginners learning deep water starts and just feeling comfortable in the slalom position. Great ski when conditions are not good for a typical slalom run and also behind my friends V-drive and I/Os that are not great boats to slalom. Also a great ski when it's dry suit weather (cold conditions) b/c it's so much easier to enjoy around 20mph vs 34mph on a really cold day. I got it on a Black Friday deal from Miami Nautique last year for around $400 w/ bindings. Worth it as a 'fun' toy at that price. I'm not a fan of HO bindings but it came as a package and being just a goof around ski, they work fine. We share it among our ski group, the ladies wear a neoprene or thick wool sock to take up some room in the binding. Again, since you're going pretty slow it's not a critical fit like a traditional slalom ski. And....I'm 61 y/o and really close to making it wake-to-wake. I will say this, the falls attempting wtw on the Hovercraft are not nearly as painful as a wakeboard.....which is anothe reason I bought it. Too many wakeboard crashes for this old man LOL......

      Comment


      • #4
        I got one a couple of years ago as an easy way to get back into skiing because it is very easy to get up on. I'm 73 and it will probably be my only ski at this point. The first time up I pulled through the wake and got launched over both wakes. I managed to recover and stayed up. This is a board for slow speeds and fun. There's so much surface area that anything over 23 MPH or so gets hairy fast.

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't have the HO, but do have a Connelly Big Easy. Same concept. It's a great ski for helping people learn to slalom before they are ready to go fast, good for older guys like me who can't go fast, and great if you don't have dedicated ski boat. At my in-laws lake house, the boathouse is too small and the lake shallow. We have a 18' fish/ski there with an outboard. You can get up on a serious slalom ski with that boat, but man is it hard. I've got it propped down to try and get the best start possible. The big slalom ski gets so much more use at that place than the competition slalom ski.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by robadele View Post
            I don't have the HO, but do have a Connelly Big Easy. Same concept.

            I will assure you the big easy and the hovercraft are not the same concept. Both are big skis, but the hovercraft skis entirely differently.

            Love ours - but then again I ski it behind our pontoon boat not the ski boat. If you course ski you like to rip the wakes too hard and then a hovercraft going 16-18 mph just wants to get air on the boat wakes at that speed - behind a pontoon however you can just rip right through the wakes like you were in the course.


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post


              I will assure you the big easy and the hovercraft are not the same concept. Both are big skis, but the hovercraft skis entirely differently.

              Love ours - but then again I ski it behind our pontoon boat not the ski boat. If you course ski you like to rip the wakes too hard and then a hovercraft going 16-18 mph just wants to get air on the boat wakes at that speed - behind a pontoon however you can just rip right through the wakes like you were in the course.

              Agree with this, the Hovercraft is more of a ski/wakeboard hybrid, not a large ski. Or even a ski/board hybrid.
              2000 Prostar 205V

              Comment


              • #8
                Right, my normal ski is a Syndicate Omni - I use a hardshell, my #1 complaint is that the HO Hovercraft doesn't have all the inserts for regular bindings so if I could I would use my hardshell on the ski in a heart beat.

                Which is going to sound weird right, why would I want to use a hardshell on a fat ski for beginners?

                Well because both my younger brother and I have ridden that HO Hovercraft with its crappy HO lace up binding more the last 2 summers behind our pontoon boat than we've slalom skied behind our ski boats on our course skis. Not that my normal ski didn't get used but it just got used at tournaments on private lakes not on public water behind my ski boat. So when the weekend comes and your lake is all choppy and no one wants to get up at 6 AM for a set the pontoon gets used heavily and that hovercraft is hilarious fun.

                What's different about the old big easy and obrien amigo skis? Well those skis basically don't turn, they ride nose way up in the air, if you try to stand on it like a slalom ski the thing will stop and throw you out the front. The Hovercraft just lays right over and zips across much like the HO Omni only with about half the boat speed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                  Right, my normal ski is a Syndicate Omni - I use a hardshell, my #1 complaint is that the HO Hovercraft doesn't have all the inserts for regular bindings so if I could I would use my hardshell on the ski in a heart beat.

                  Which is going to sound weird right, why would I want to use a hardshell on a fat ski for beginners?

                  Well because both my younger brother and I have ridden that HO Hovercraft with its crappy HO lace up binding more the last 2 summers behind our pontoon boat than we've slalom skied behind our ski boats on our course skis. Not that my normal ski didn't get used but it just got used at tournaments on private lakes not on public water behind my ski boat. So when the weekend comes and your lake is all choppy and no one wants to get up at 6 AM for a set the pontoon gets used heavily and that hovercraft is hilarious fun.

                  What's different about the old big easy and obrien amigo skis? Well those skis basically don't turn, they ride nose way up in the air, if you try to stand on it like a slalom ski the thing will stop and throw you out the front. The Hovercraft just lays right over and zips across much like the HO Omni only with about half the boat speed.
                  I also ski an HO Omni, the Carbon version using Radar Vector boa front and boa RTP. I had to purchase the Vectors with the aluminum plate so match the mounting holes on the Omni. I agree 100% of your assessment in how the Hovercraft handles. I think it skis just like a slalom ski....just WAY slower and a great platform to work on some slalom drills and technique. And mostly just a ton of fun!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here's what a 6' 190 lb guy looks like behind a pontoon going 16 mph on edge on a 67" hovercraft looks like.

                    10 people on the boat, crushing suds, enjoying sun. Mid day on a lake with hundreds of boats, tons of chop, when you'd run a ski boat off plane to not rattle the dashboard loose.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      thanks everyone---I appreciate the feedback--I am turning 60 and I get tired of getting the wind knocked out of me when I crash wakeboarding! I I am ordering one!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mgoblue View Post
                        thanks everyone---I appreciate the feedback--I am turning 60 and I get tired of getting the wind knocked out of me when I crash wakeboarding! I I am ordering one!
                        That was 100% my motivation to get one. Sure you'll enjoy it. As someone commented above, it's designed for slow speeds and will get sketchy the closer you get to 25MPH. I ski mine between 18-20mph......

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Quick question - what rope are you guys using, wakeboard or ski?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Interesting you'd ask. I just got back from a week at the lake and we did some experimentation with different ropes, speeds, tied to the ski pylon vs tower, etc. Here is what we found:
                            1) For my boat, (2000 205V) about 16mph seemed to give the most jumpable wake
                            2) Definitely pull from the tower for jumping the wake
                            3) We used a HO LTD ski rope and the Deep V handle with 8 feet removed to get the right spot on the wake. Probably needs to go a little shorter.
                            4) The wakeboard rope probably would have been better but my daughter likes using the Deep V handle because it keeps the ski straight and makes it easier to get up.

                            She had a ton of fun with this ski, she actually liked it better than the wakeboard. She pretty small so we're thinking about getting a 65" just for her. We have a 67" so my sons can use it also.

                            Anyway, hope that helps.
                            2000 Prostar 205V

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Slalom line on 14m is fun (22off) at 18-20mph

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X