The Lost Art of Wakeboarding thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tmacx2 View Post
    I'm looking for any tips on how to quit spinning too early on 360's. I do my 180's no problem, but have a bad habit of spinning way too early on a 360 and end up completely off axis. I've read about trying a board grab then spinning, but haven't tried that yet. Everyone says pop then spin. That's what i'm trying to do, haha, but not working so far.
    See my comments above, some of this may help you. I would not suggest grabbing if you cant land a bare 3, this might help you spin at the peak, but it can stall you out. 360s are not progressive cuts into the wake, slower approach, just enough to clear the wake, and ollie off the wake to give you a floaty pop with no line tension. Spin at the peak, and be sure you're not heel or back foot heavy off the wake, this causes off axis.
    2020 XStar
    2018 G23
    2014 XStar
    2009 X45

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mpabreo View Post
        See my comments above, some of this may help you. I would not suggest grabbing if you cant land a bare 3, this might help you spin at the peak, but it can stall you out. 360s are not progressive cuts into the wake, slower approach, just enough to clear the wake, and ollie off the wake to give you a floaty pop with no line tension. Spin at the peak, and be sure you're not heel or back foot heavy off the wake, this causes off axis.
        but off axis is way more fun

Comment

I wakeboarded late yesterday for the first time in three years and damn it was fun. But I am sore.

Comment

My bag of tricks is as empty as a magicians hat with a hole in it but I enjoy going W2W 80ft behind my 205v
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bcd View Post
              I've been trying to land blind, but can't get it. I can backside 180 and land cuffed/ pass the handle, but when I try blind one handed, just can't get it. Only been doing 16 mph so far, so i don't get completely wrecked.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              I'm getting inside out blind 180s now, but haven't gotten wake to wake. I've been doing 18 mph and short rope, and the line tension has been my issue. I'm going to focus on a good ollie pop next time to get rid of the tension and hopefully get it.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

This isn't me (or my boat) but is some cool footage of some fun behind an XT21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lisFQ2tTi3s

Comment

Originally posted by TAJX22 View Post
                  This isn't me (or my boat) but is some cool footage of some fun behind an XT21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lisFQ2tTi3s

That's fun! Would love to try it.

Comment

the late great Eddie Roberts was driving the boat. RIP Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by bcd View Post
                      I'm getting inside out blind 180s now, but haven't gotten wake to wake. I've been doing 18 mph and short rope, and the line tension has been my issue. I'm going to focus on a good ollie pop next time to get rid of the tension and hopefully get it.

Remember, shorter line lengths result in more line tension. If you're comfortable inside out, try outside in, do them off the startup roller, also ollie bs 180s in the flats and try to ride for a bit. When you can do all those, take it w2w at your normal line length/speed (assuming that's 70+ft). If you ride shorter, try a longer line with adjusted speed for a comfortable wake width. Heck, I've used 80' lines for learning blind landings. The ultra low line tension gives you time to react and not catch an edge.
                      2020 XStar
                      2018 G23
                      2014 XStar
                      2009 X45

Comment

Thanks, I'm normally at 70' 23 mph. I've been trying at 50-55' and 18 mph, but no matter how much I try coming off my edge and ollie at the wake, I can't seem to get over the line tension. I'll have to give it a go at 70'. I've been doing them on the start up roller during normal riding and have been doing surface spins to blind, but haven't gotten the ollie to blind the few I've tried.

Different topic (still wakeboarding), but my buddy has a cousin that lives in Florida that comes up every summer for a week. I took him out wakeboarding this year behind my boat, which is part of my motivation to get the blind landing. Anyway, he just sent my buddy a video of him landing his first double at the cable park.

Comment

Reviving the thread. Summer of George is on, will not be complete until a backroll and 360 are landed. Added a little weight to boat to help out. This is just over 2000lbs now in the 205V:

Click image for larger version  Name:	U4mpnfy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,012.2 KB ID:	2706701

Comment

What speed does your wake clean up? On mine, its right at 18 mph without weight and about 19.5 with weight.

Comment

For the 205V? That sounds about right without weight. This was my first test with the added ballast, and it looked like I'll need 21+ to keep it clean. The wind came up big time right after this pic, so I had to dump ballast before I could ride it. Could use a little more in the nose. I'm split about 65/35 right now.

Comment

I am
                                coming off 2 major hip surgeries last year so didn’t get to ride at all. 45 , (2)knee recons , 3 shoulder recons , and a double hip , and still 80% wakeboarding. I’ve slowed down from 23.7 to 23 and taken the rope in from 80 to 75. I may try and take that as low as 22.5. It’s harder than I thought it would be trying to adjust to the slower speed and shorter length. My progression is no more and I just ride to ride these days in order to put all the youngins on notice. My oldest daughter 18 has had a wakeboarding resurgence after a 2yr hiatus of surf only, youngest (16) still won’t come back to boarding, and the wife is still 100% wake with 0 surf . Was happy to still get upside down for the BR , tantrum , and scarecrow , first day out. Then I rattled myself on a 360 to front edge catch, face smack, welcome back to the lake been out only about 3 more times as my work schedule is killing me with a 23 day straight rotation.
                                Attached Files
                                CURRENT: 2008 SANTE 210 w NSS

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
                                2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
                                2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
                                99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
                                88 2001 Nautique

Comment

Working...
                                X