No announcement yet.

The Lost Art of Wakeboarding thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ that's awesome! I posted earlier in the thread about trying to land a 360. I've landed a couple in the past but not recently. I didn't try them very much this year until last week and have been working on it every time out. I ride 3-5x/week depending on weather, etc. I've been working on not being back foot heavy or spinning too early. I was having a lot of trouble with being off axis. I finally landed one tonight. Stoked! I've been super close on a bunch of others too. I'm going to keep working on it and try and get consistent with it. I'll try and get some video evidence as well. I like the inspiration I get from this thread.

Comment

Nice. It took me while at 44 to get back to pushing it and start charging after my hip surgery last summer , but I found some inspiration due to some new neighbors and my daughters boyfriend picking it up. My riding right now is probably the best it’s been in 3 yrs . I plateaued and really was just going through the motions , but as mentioned some new neighbors and couple other new riders gave me the extra push.
      CURRENT: 2008 SANTE 210 w NSS

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
      2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
      2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
      99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
      88 2001 Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by swatguy View Post
        Nice. It took me while at 44 to get back to pushing it and start charging after my hip surgery last summer , but I found some inspiration due to some new neighbors and my daughters boyfriend picking it up. My riding right now is probably the best it’s been in 3 yrs . I plateaued and really was just going through the motions , but as mentioned some new neighbors and couple other new riders gave me the extra push.
        Wowzah I was looking at your long list of surgeries. Are they all wakeboard related?

Comment

Unfortunately 90% work related.

I’ve only had one knee( triad acl /mcl /pcl) way back in 2003ish from wakeboarding . I was dumb drove to my buddy’s cottage early morning after work. Jumped out of car , strapped on the board went for set , and was hitting few double ups each turn. I didn’t stretch or warm up. Landed my 4th double up clean , felt small tweak and before I knew it swelled up like a softball. Weirdest thing. No wreck , no hard crash nothing. Just landed in the flats. Rest are unfortunately hazards of the job in a big city dealing with the most violent of violent individuals.

2 rt knee reconstructions
          1 left knee recon
          3 shoulder recons ( same shoulder )
          2 hip surgeries
          fractured skull
          couple brain injuries.
          3 separate instances of torn ligaments in my hands
          few broken noses
          and more than handlful of missing teeth from fights and wrecks.
          shot in my right forearm.

My two scariest ones ,

Was tossed /jumped out of Car in a drug deal gone bad at 70mph

hit by drunk driver while I was stationary at a red light that was doing about 80-90mph.

I’ve unfortunately been put back together more than I want to admit and i am pretty sure i am Out of all 9 lives. The lake, mountains , as well as ice hockey are my time to escape . Don’t know how my wife and kids do it. But they’ve always been rockstars helping me battle through everything.
          CURRENT: 2008 SANTE 210 w NSS

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
          2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
          2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
          99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
          88 2001 Nautique

Comment

Seems the flats is where most people blow their knees out. Seen it happen to a couple of buddies. One buddy had no wipe out he just felt a pop and my other buddy his legs just noodled on a big w2w jump and he even broke a chunk of his femer bone off at the knee. Man your job is about as hardcore as it gets. I like reading your posts on here and Planet Nautique so stay safe dude.

Comment

Grandson mastered wake to wake 360 successfully in the spring on Valhalla wake board. The youngest one on a SOZO knee board wake to wake 360.Their mother took the pictures , I was driving and smiling !!
              If she don't shine , she ain't mine

Comment

I decided to pull the plug on the season. I have a new grandson arriving next week The weather also has been bad and doesn't look like it's going to get any better. Water temp has cooled off 15 degrees in 2 weeks. Right around 60 degrees now. Since I landed the first 360 I was only able to ride 2 more times but landed one each time so totally psyched for next season. Last time I had the boat out I didn't ride but taught my neighbor and 3 neighbor kids how to wakeboard. Every time I see my neighbor he says all the kids talk about is wakeboarding. Trying to do my part to keep wakeboarding alive!

Comment

Originally posted by swatguy View Post
                  Unfortunately 90% work related.

I’ve only had one knee( triad acl /mcl /pcl) way back in 2003ish from wakeboarding . I was dumb drove to my buddy’s cottage early morning after work. Jumped out of car , strapped on the board went for set , and was hitting few double ups each turn. I didn’t stretch or warm up. Landed my 4th double up clean , felt small tweak and before I knew it swelled up like a softball. Weirdest thing. No wreck , no hard crash nothing. Just landed in the flats. Rest are unfortunately hazards of the job in a big city dealing with the most violent of violent individuals.

2 rt knee reconstructions
                  1 left knee recon
                  3 shoulder recons ( same shoulder )
                  2 hip surgeries
                  fractured skull
                  couple brain injuries.
                  3 separate instances of torn ligaments in my hands
                  few broken noses
                  and more than handlful of missing teeth from fights and wrecks.
                  shot in my right forearm.

My two scariest ones ,

Was tossed /jumped out of Car in a drug deal gone bad at 70mph

hit by drunk driver while I was stationary at a red light that was doing about 80-90mph.

I’ve unfortunately been put back together more than I want to admit and i am pretty sure i am Out of all 9 lives. The lake, mountains , as well as ice hockey are my time to escape . Don’t know how my wife and kids do it. But they’ve always been rockstars helping me battle through everything.
                  Damn Swat! With all that hardware, I'd think by now you're a terminator.

All kidding aside, glad you're back in the game and feeling better

Comment

57° and pure glass, last set of the season
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X