Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 Gen1 surf tab bolt on DIY

Morning Fellas,
    In another dimension I think I am an Engineer, because I’m always trying to improve off of ideas.

I have a 2007 X30 that had surf tabs out on it two years ago by the previous owner. Lenco actuators and a pretty generic trim tab. Don’t think it did to much, at least not that I could notice.

Last year I was running stock ballast and a wakeshaper slim and getting a decent wave, but not great. I’ve got the big motor so I think I could grunt out some more ballast to the wakemakers rear piggy back bags were added this spring, but I really wanted to get some proper surf tabs.

GSA’s are $4500 and I figured I could do it for under $100 and my own devices, so here I go.

Templated off of cardboard and bought some 1/8” thick aluminum sheet for $50.

I cut out the shape I wanted and took it to a fabricator and had the tabs bent on a finger break. $28

Next I test mounted it to the existing tabs, just look at the size difference! I’m gonna get barrelled!!!

After adjusting the bracket to the actuator at full retract I made sure it tucked up nice, the previous gen1 tabs didn’t and would cause drag, I don’t think the guy that installed them knew what he was doing.

Once everything looked good, the test run looked ok and the actuator was doing its geometry thing.

I also took 2x2 aluminum square tubing and mounted it to the underside of the swim platform, then fastened it to the platform bracket with 3/8 self tapping screws. Hopefully this will lift it enough to clean up the wake a little bit.

Anyways, $100 in, and we will see how she goes next weekend.
    Attached Files

It’s hard to tell from the photo if the new bolt on tab extends below the running surface a little. If so, you may run into issues with water constantly putting force on the screws holding the hinge on the transom. I had a boat with gen 1 trim tabs and considered a bolt on solution but realized it wasn’t much harder to remove all the gen 1 hardware and start over with a new homemade tab, hinge, and actuator. That also gives you freedom to hit the stow/deploy angles you want and get more screws into the transom for the larger tab size.

Your retract angle still looks a little low in the photos, but it could be the perspective. If the non-engaged tab is too low with the fins and such it can have a negative effect (as you already mentioned).

Comment

Theoretically I could buy longer actuators and get more range of motion yeah.
      I was also thinking about the bracket from the actuator to the tab, the further out I make the tab, the greater the angle I could retract it?

Or, what if the pin attachment on the actuator that slides into the bracket hole wasn’t a singular hole, but a curved track that would make the plate rise higher?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_217583.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2703744
      Last edited by Masterfoilcraft; 05-01-2022, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I think you're going to need the longer actuator to have the power to move the larger tabs.
        -----------------------------------
        Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
        Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
        Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Working...
        X