New surfer, ballast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New surfer, ballast question

I have learned to waterski, then slalom and now starting the course, all behind my 2011 x14v 6.0 Yesterday I decided to try wake surfing. We loaded up both the port and starboard ballast and left the KGB empty. After a couple tries, I got up on the surfboard. and was towed for awhile before hitting the water. The wave/wake was not very big and I never could develop any slack in the rope. Actually, the wake looked like it was mostly roostertail. Question: Will filling the KGB help? Empty the starboard (off) side? I have a couple of outboard bags that I haven't tried yet, add them? Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks very much
    Bill Montgomery

I'm not totally familiar with the 2011 X14v. Does it have a surf tab system? If not, the first thing you need is a hull mounted wake shaper on the opposite site of your surf side. There are a bunch of different options. I like the swell wake shaper devices, but others will chime in as well. After this I would tell you to both fill the KGB and if possible, add more ballast to the surf side in addition to the built in ballast (unless you are running after market, larger ballast already).

Comment

Thanks Robadele, very helpful

Comment

If you don't have some sort of surf system, you will need to empty the opposite side ballast and list the boat to the surf side. I would fill your kgb at least half way full.

Comment

Unless someone who has that boat will comment on what works, you're going to have to experiment. And without something like Gen 2 surf system or GSA (tab based systems), you'll either need to list the boat quite a bit or get some type of add on surf gate. How much to fill the KGB is exactly one of those things that'll take some experimentation. The other thing I've learned, don't try to judge the wave by looking at it from the boat. Go by how it feels surfing. Having a bunch of people on the boat makes it easier to experiment with how to distribute weight. It's a lot easier / faster to move people around than it is to fill and empty ballast tanks. And the surfer can ask people to move on the fly and see how it changes the wave.

Learning to create forward momentum typically takes people a few times of surfing to learn how to do it. Especially if you don't have a big wave. Foot placement and weight distribution is super important. You'll need the edge of the board toward the wave to bite into the wave. You'll want to move your feet around, so your toes are closer to that edge of the board. If possible, it's helpful to learn on a boat with a bigger wave and with someone that knows how to surf well. Then you'll have a easier time learning to tune your wave and figuring out how to surf on your boat.

Some pictures would help folks here on the forum to give suggestions if you don't have anyone with experience to help out.
          -----------------------------------
          Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
          Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
          Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

You can get a great wave , this video was from my 2010 x-14v full ballast with extra bags that piggybacked on the KBB and the port and Starbord hard tanks , purchased from wakemakers then add a surf gate or another suction cup attachment the opposite side , speed at 11 , then enjoy .

Comment

Originally posted by Rhob88 View Post
              You can get a great wave , this video was from my 2010 x-14v full ballast with extra bags that piggybacked on the KBB and the port and Starbord hard tanks , purchased from wakemakers then add a surf gate or another suction cup attachment the opposite side , speed at 11 , then enjoy .
              Do you put your suction cup device on the main hull surface or did you find one that fits on those lower stepped surfaces? The one I'm looking at says it needs 3.5 in mounting surface and should be 3 in below the water line. Thanks

Comment

I got a slim model so I could mount it below the step in the hull to get it as deep as possible in the water.

Comment

The Swell slim?

Comment

Mine was a swell one as well , I placed it just at the waterline , you don’t need to place it deep

Comment

Thanks, everybody, I really appreciate the tips and pointers. I've got one ordered.

Comment

I am just getting into the surfing....well my kids are anyway!! I have a couple of questions.

Our boat is a 2004 X-10 with the factory ballast system and I plan on upgrading to the Wake Makers Tank Buster Rear/Piggy Back front system over the winter. Will the Swell tab make a better wake with the factory ballast in the interim? And I assume the Swell tab will enhance the upgraded system once installed? Thanks in advice for the input.

Comment

Working...
                        X