Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Wake Surf Shaper

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by LostDriver669 View Post
    For those of you that have experimented with the 205v hull, have you found the 90 or 45 degree gate works better.

    Hi,

    I have found best result at 60-70 degrees. IMO precision doesn’t matter, though, it’s a question of deflector surface and angle.

    A 45 deg gate will need a lot more surface to have an effect, a 90 deg less. I built several and if using a 40x25cm cutting board to get all parts out of, the 60+ deg works.

    TH



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • Well here is my version. Gonna test it out this weekend.

      Board is 7x12” and I used left over ss washers as my spacers between the board and bracket. Debating on making it flush and cutting a hole for the lever so it can be flipped or just leaving it as it. Also trying to decide to cut it down to 10” or not.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • Here is what I was able to accomplish on my 05 X2. I ended up placing the gate just below the rub rail. I need to mess around with it as there didn’t seem to be much push. I’ve only surfed 3-4 times, so still learning too.
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • Someone PM'd me about pics of my home-made surf gate. PMs aren't coming up on my phone right now so figured I'd post here.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • Bottom Paint Problem

            I have a problem getting a Seastow DIY to stick on my 07 X2 because I have ablative bottom paint on my boat that is a bit textured and slippery (circled area in the picture). Unfortunately getting rid of the bottom paint isn't an option since it's a Saltwater Series boat and stays in a saltwater slip.

            I was looking at some non-DIY options...but I think I'm going to run into the same problems with Mission or the Swell Slim wakeshapers since they use suction cups. Any ideas on what may work?

            I was thinking the original Ronix might work...although I'm not sure the bottom velcro strip will hold on the paint (and I'm not sure how well the strip will do being submerged in the water in the slip for a long time. The DIY shapers that that slip over the swim platform seem like potentially a good option?
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • Originally posted by hbskisurf View Post
              I have a problem getting a Seastow DIY to stick on my 07 X2 because I have ablative bottom paint on my boat that is a bit textured and slippery (circled area in the picture). Unfortunately getting rid of the bottom paint isn't an option since it's a Saltwater Series boat and stays in a saltwater slip.

              I was looking at some non-DIY options...but I think I'm going to run into the same problems with Mission or the Swell Slim wakeshapers since they use suction cups. Any ideas on what may work?

              I was thinking the original Ronix might work...although I'm not sure the bottom velcro strip will hold on the paint (and I'm not sure how well the strip will do being submerged in the water in the slip for a long time. The DIY shapers that that slip over the swim platform seem like potentially a good option?
              Did you take the engine out of your boat? It appears to just be a Master raft. Didn't know they were making that series

              Can you put your shaper on that logo? I think you are trying to go down a bit too far.

              Comment


              • Shaper should be down that low!

                Try this.

                http://wake-shaper.com/purchase/

                Pricey but have good reviews from others on my lake. I have a homemade suction cup version but there are three boats on my lake that have this and like it.




                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • Thanks! The wake-shaper looks like a great suggestion for the my Master Raft ! I'll check that out.

                  Comment


                  • Has anyone been able to demonstrate which position works best for these? Does moving it forward or as far back as possible produce the best wake?

                    I plan on moving mine around next weekend, but was curious what others have found.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Jwgredeux View Post
                      Has anyone been able to demonstrate which position works best for these? Does moving it forward or as far back as possible produce the best wake?

                      I plan on moving mine around next weekend, but was curious what others have found.


                      From my experience the farther back the better. And in my mind it makes sense...these devices are intended to disrupt the flow of water, so having it farther back leaves the least room for water to stream again coming off the hull. My Maristar has a tapered rub rail and so getting farther back was a challenge. I actually built a second one with and extended reach to suction it further up, but the paddle sticking out was further back. Also the height plays a roll, I put mine so that when it’s loaded down sitting still, you can see 1” above the waterline.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by iskyski View Post
                        From my experience the farther back the better. And in my mind it makes sense...these devices are intended to disrupt the flow of water, so having it farther back leaves the least room for water to stream again coming off the hull. My Maristar has a tapered rub rail and so getting farther back was a challenge. I actually built a second one with and extended reach to suction it further up, but the paddle sticking out was further back. Also the height plays a roll, I put mine so that when it’s loaded down sitting still, you can see 1” above the waterline.


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        He’s correct. Particularly the part about the height. I tried mounting mine lower and it was noticeably worse. Mount it as far back as you can, just at the waterline. Should be mostly submerged when sitting still. If it’s an inch or two above waterline, that’s fine since when you’re underway it will become fully submerged.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by dvsone79 View Post
                          He’s correct. Particularly the part about the height. I tried mounting mine lower and it was noticeably worse. Mount it as far back as you can, just at the waterline. Should be mostly submerged when sitting still. If it’s an inch or two above waterline, that’s fine since when you’re underway it will become fully submerged.
                          I'll have to try mounting mine higher, I've been mounting it well below the waterline. Will test and and report.

                          Comment


                          • I gauge the mounting height by the size of the “plume” the suck gate makes at surf speed. If you can barely see a bump of water it’s too low. If it’s spraying huge and spraying way high, it’s mounted too high. I’ll see if I can take a picture this weekend just to show what I look for. Though each boat will be a little different.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Jwgredeux View Post
                              I'll have to try mounting mine higher, I've been mounting it well below the waterline. Will test and and report.
                              Y'all were right. I moved my gate up to about an inch or so below the waterline with the boat weighted down and the wave was slightly taller and cleaner. While the look was a bit better, while surfing I could definitely feel a better push. Thanks gents.

                              Comment


                              • Bobv5 still doing work


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X