DIY Wake Surf Shaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another.... www.surfstarwake.com

all the others look to be bolting the suction cups to the board and this one is integrated into the base
    2nd Gen XStar

Comment

• DIY Wake Surf Shaper

What are you guys doing to get the BoB sucgate to stay on? Took the X7 out yesterday and couldn't get it to stay on above 8 mph. Does waxing the hull help?

Last edited by Juiced190; 08-07-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Is there a post with bob dimensions and parts list?

Comment

• Originally posted by SS LS1 View Post
          Nice wave again! Honestly I never thought the X15 wave was junk. It was more of a tongue in cheek statement based on all the constant X15 surf wave bashing Aric did for a few yrs here. Actually I'm seriously considering an X15 as my next boat with a heavy focus on surfing. This is why my I'm interested in these suck gates and did a 4 hr demo with a '12 X15 that had no surf tabs. It just had evenly weighted extra ballast and my BoB V5 on the side. I would first be looking for an X15 with Gen 1 tabs that I can adapt a self fabricated set of Gen 2 tabs to it which should be no problem. But the back up plan would be to find a X15 w/o surf tabs and just use the Suckgate which worked awesome for me and looks to be working for you also.

Are you happy with the 5.7 in your weighted X15? Or should I look for a 6.0L?
          Did? I still do. That surf wave before the new owner put on GSA, sucked lol
          Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
          Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
          2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
          For Sale:
          2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• 2008 X2 - DIY Wakeshaper - BoB Design

Finally got some time in with my BoB design Wake Shaper. First one I built was with some 1/4" material as I had an itch to scratch and it was the best I could find. Worked great. Recently found some 1/2" material and made a more quality shaper and man what a difference. We are now able to drop the rope and ride like we should be. Factory ballast full and about 300 pounds in each rear locker. Wave is nice and tall and a ton of fun!!! I was so close to spending the money on a mass produced wake shaper until I found this thread. Thanks guys, the rest of the riding season will be a great one!
            Pics below are:
            *Full ballast - Evenly weighted
            *With Shaper
            *MY 12 year Old Son in only his second weekend riding - He's picked it up quick.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Just found the parts needed and ordered.. Guess I'll jump on the bob v5 bandwagon soon and test it on multiple boats since I don't have one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cabrown View Post
                Finally got some time in with my BoB design Wake Shaper. First one I built was with some 1/4" material as I had an itch to scratch and it was the best I could find. Worked great. Recently found some 1/2" material and made a more quality shaper and man what a difference. We are now able to drop the rope and ride like we should be. Factory ballast full and about 300 pounds in each rear locker. Wave is nice and tall and a ton of fun!!! I was so close to spending the money on a mass produced wake shaper until I found this thread. Thanks guys, the rest of the riding season will be a great one!
                Pics below are:
                *Full ballast - Evenly weighted
                *With Shaper
                *MY 12 year Old Son in only his second weekend riding - He's picked it up quick.
                Nice photos! It really puts it into perspective how well these work when you post photos of an evenly weighted boat before and after installing the suck gate. Did you install yours on the lowest hull step? Was your gate plate mounted to the front or rear of the handle and was it installed as far back as possible on the boat?

Glad you are having the same success as others are here. It really changes how much "Push" energy the wave has after adding the gate for such a simple item.
                XT20 5500 GDI Black Mica/Black Topdeck/ Black interior
                SOLD - 2013 X2 Pro Pkg, Gen2 Surf
                SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190
                SOLD - 1985 Stars and Stripes

sigpic

Comment

• 2005 Xstar, stock full 750lb fat sacs in read lockers, 500lb sac on port seat. BOB gate on starboard side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by SS LS1 View Post
                    Nice photos! It really puts it into perspective how well these work when you post photos of an evenly weighted boat before and after installing the suck gate. Did you install yours on the lowest hull step? Was your gate plate mounted to the front or rear of the handle and was it installed as far back as possible on the boat?

Glad you are having the same success as others are here. It really changes how much "Push" energy the wave has after adding the gate for such a simple item.
                    I have it as low as I can get it to stick. It's not on the lower step. I have played a little with the angle on the boat making the rear a little higher trying to get a little longer wave.
                    The plate is at the back of the handle. I tried it once forward of the handle it broke the plate off but that was also on 1/4" material. I've not tried it on the 1/2" material yet as this wave had been pretty damn good to surf. I think in total I have less than $30 bucks in the latest one and feel pretty good about it for this season.

Comment

• suckgate on 03 x2

two 750's in the rear, stock ski locker, two adults on the bow, driver and the surfer ... my longest ride that day was 7 minutes ....
                      Attached Files

Comment

• So i've got the handle and HDPE 12 x 24 coming in this week to mae BoB_V5. A few general questions since I don't build this stuff all of the time

With regards to BoB_V5:

1.)What kind of stainless screws will I need and how many?
                        2.)What tools are y'all using to cut the HDPE and create a smooth edge? (Miter saw/Dremel/Table Saw etc)?
                        3.)I think I need a 3.5 inch hole saw correct?

If there's anything else I missed let me know! Looking forward to building this and trying it out on my X45 this weekend!

Comment

• Has anyone tried with vacuum cups like this: https://www.seasucker.com/shop/mediu...ab-description.

Comment

• Just a reminder that the original designs in this thread -- the DIY wakeshapers -- are not dead!
                            Here are a couple of pics from yesterday with one of my sons. They show how long the pocket is. He's working on a 360 -- should have it mastered in a couple of days I think.

2005 X2, 750s in rear lockers (about 2/3 full), factory KGB ski locker bag, IBS, 3 adults in boat, 10.5 mph.
                            (A pic of my shaper setup is in post #240. The beauty is that I never have to attach anything. None of our crew or my son's friends surf goofy so that makes it easier too.)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by wheelerd; 08-03-2016, 05:29 PM.
                            2005 X2, Viper Red, MCX, Acme 1285, PPass, rear 750 sacs, KBS, IBS, Bennett Wake Plate
                            (previous) 2001 X5, 1991 TriStar 190

Comment

• Zero ballast to get my 8 year old free surfing for the first time yesterday!

Comment

• Originally posted by derek1800 View Post
                                Has anyone tried with vacuum cups like this: https://www.seasucker.com/shop/mediu...ab-description.
                                I asked the same a few pages back and got no answer, so I'm guessing no. I did stumble across someone who is selling a similar product that does use a vacuum pump. I believe it was wake-shaper.com. I went ahead and ordered the same stuff everyone here is using. I couldn't bring myself to spend 50 or 60 dollars each on the vacuum pump type cups without knowing for sure if they work properly when submerged.

Comment

Working...
                                X