DIY Wake Surf Shaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Wake Surf Shaper

I tested out a new wake gate on my 205v today. Instead of attaching to the swim platform, this one attaches to the side of the boat using velcro similar to the Ronix Eight.3 wake surf shaper. I bought 2 "ten 80" skateboard ramps on Amazon, and some industrial strength velcro. Total investment was $60. I attached the two ramps together using 4 bolts and nylock nuts. Each ramp is approx 17 degrees of angle, so the final angle of the wake shaper is 35 degrees or so. I was impressed with the results. Better than the wake gate I made for the swim platform. Here are some pics. This is with the boat evenly weighted with 750s in the rear lockers, 300 in the ski locker, and another 750 in the bow. 10mph.

Here's a link to the ramp: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001J...ie=UTF8&psc=1#

And here's a video (there is no rider but I assure you it rode every bit as good as it looks): http://youtu.be/7yozujChpR8

I'm pretty stoked. I'll add some more pics of the shaper. Here's one of the wake for now since I can only seem to get one pic to attach per post...
    Attached Files

Pic #1
    Attached Files

Comment

Number 2
      Attached Files

Comment

Last one for now.
        Attached Files

Comment

Did you get to surf ? Pics of velcro attachment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Think it's possible to make a strap that connects to the front and rear hooks to avoid the velcro on the sides?

Comment

wake looks good... wouldn't ever strap two ramps to the side of my boat though lol
              -Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2021
              https://www.lonestarmasterbash.com/

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
              2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon - Ear Injurer

Comment

Originally posted by clrussell View Post
                Did you get to surf ? Pics of velcro attachment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Yes and it rode well. Plenty of push, pocket was long, and lip stayed clean. Here's a pic of the velcro. I had to shim it with a 3/4" piece of plywood which I have since replaced with a piece of HDPE of the same thickness.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun R View Post
                  Think it's possible to make a strap that connects to the front and rear hooks to avoid the velcro on the sides?
                  Haven't really thought of that. No reason you couldn't get straps attached to the wake ramp, but getting it attached to the front/rear hooks while preventing it from moving up and down? I'll leave that to someone more inventive than myself!

Comment

Originally posted by dvsone79 View Post
                    Haven't really thought of that. No reason you couldn't get straps attached to the wake ramp, but getting it attached to the front/rear hooks while preventing it from moving up and down? I'll leave that to someone more inventive than myself!
                    Given some though to trying this but using large suction cups on the bottom and possibly using straps to keep it in position. Using weatherstripping between the bottom and the hull to keep water out as well. One ramp not enough?

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                      wake looks good... wouldn't ever strap two ramps to the side of my boat though lol
                      Thanks. Yeah, I get it. I wasn't excited about the velcro either. But my excitement about the wake outweighs it for now. I can't really justify spending the $ for a go surf assist.

Honestly, I can't believe I care this much about surfing, period. But as my two boys and my nephews get older, the more things besides tubing I can get them to participate in, the better. Surfing is at least better than tubing, since it requires at least a small amount of skill (balance, timing, etc... as opposed to just sitting on a tube) and since a kiddo can go with an adult which gets them excited about it.

Hopefully in another 5 years or so they'll get into wakeboarding and I can ditch the wake ramp.

For anyone on the fence about the Ronix Eight.3, it works.

Comment

Given some though to trying this but using large suction cups on the bottom and possibly using straps to keep it in position. Using weatherstripping between the bottom and the hull to keep water out as well. One ramp not enough?
                        I don't think one ramp would be enough angle to get a good wake. It is roughly 17 degrees. Everyone seems to conclude that 30 degrees is the best so I tried to get as close to that as I could. It worked out well since it gave me a perfect surface for the Velcro since these ramps have no bottom surface.

Suction cups is a great idea! If you try that let me know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                          never, even to my '88 supra. that looks so ridiculous, but if it surfs well to each his own!

Comment

Lifes short and I have no shame, i'll give it a go.

Comment

Lifes short and I have no shame, i'll give it a go.
                              I agree, and if the suction cup idea works it may be reversible which will save space compared to may 2 fakegates.
                              -Cory 2.0ld

98 Maristar 225VRS - "Frankenstar"
                              91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1

Comment

Working...
                              X