No announcement yet.

DIY Gen 1 to Gen 2 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like know what people are using to control the tabs? Like do they go to a certain point and stop like gen2 or is it just a knob you turn until you get the wave looking pretty?

Comment

Originally posted by clrussell View Post
      I'd like know what people are using to control the tabs? Like do they go to a certain point and stop like gen2 or is it just a knob you turn until you get the wave looking pretty?
      This is extremely important if you have "'wave Divas" on your boat. Tab angle changes from 60% to 100% deployment really change the shape of the wave along with speed and additional weight. It would be nice to hear How GSA handles that aspect??

Comment

Originally posted by waterbuffalo View Post
        So for 4K, I would emagine the mark up would be half that, give or take a little. So for just the upgraded trim tabs (nothing else) you could essentially make the gen 2 for a grand or less in materials and man hours. For a complete mock up for the gen 2 from scratch would probably cost you 2k in parts. I wouldn't say to make them for profit, but to make them your self would be worth it, If you have the fab skills. Nothing wrong with that, I make **** all the time off of others ideas.
        Depends on your fab skills and what tools you have, materials alone for the tabs themselves are <$100, but do you have a laser cutter? Plasma? Brake to bend them? Welder?

The controls wiring probably <$1000 for lemcos and a basic control box, but do you want something that works everytime? Programmable? Thats going to cost you alot more to get it to work nice.

Originally posted by clrussell View Post
        The ones I made just bolt to the Gen 1 tabs so controls are the same as gen 1 which is run through the big screen on mine. It displays tab settings and deployment %.
        2010 X15 with custom tabs
        Lake Norman

Comment

I designed my tabs myself and are pretty close to stock. They work great on my x2. I can make them for you if interested. Let me know.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

My set up

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
              4k for GSA isn't bad at all. For all the R&D into it, it's beyond worth it. Especially when it came to resale. Two 2011 X25s sat at Texas Mastercraft, similar price and hours. Ours (with GSA) sold for more, like a month faster.

What is ridiculous, is people trying to profit off of someone else's design. #newamericanway
              Ill never get over how much you were against GSA when they first came out and now you are their best friend.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were against surfing too at some point.

Comment

x2 tabs

Those tabs look great. How well do they work????

Comment

I decided to pull the trigger and get the GSA! I played around with bolting on larger tabs on my gen1 tabs and I ended up breaking one of my actuators. Unless you are really savvy with fabricating metal and willing to spend time and gas testing I say buy the GSA.

The weight setup is different from the suckgate wanting more weight in the back. Currently I have it dial with LOTS of push and good length. Today I will go back out with my new Victoria factor pcx and work on lengthening it without losing too much push.

Important!!! Get the swim deck brackets. This will raise your deck a few inches allowing tab clearance and you can max out your rear ballast bags!!! Before I could only will my bags to 80% b/c my deck would drag too much causing my rpms to hit 4K!!! This isssue may be specific with me because I got my x35 used and it has an xstar swim platform.

Side note, gen1 tabs cause drag when surfing even when not deployed. I notice this with the suckgate setup. Gen1 tabs are parallel with the haul and drags when the bow raises. If you stick w the suckgate setup and are having high RPMs I would recommend removing those tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 07 x45 and put on GSA and FAE and love the setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally got around to finishing my cad model and sending these off for fabrication. I plan to just get hinges and eliminate the gen 1 tab but bolt on is an option.

Lake Norman

Comment

I have considered upgrading the Lenco tabs on My star. Any input on how something like this would work with these tabs?
                        2014 x46

Comment

...here they are
                          Attached Files
                          2014 x46

Comment

Originally posted by Mastar View Post
                            ...here they are
                            Looks like you will have an issue with upward travel, on the gen 1 you can move the actuator to the outer most hold and get just enough travel up to get the tab out of the water. With your setup you'd probably have to move the actuator mounting point and at that point you might as well just remove the current tab and install the new one.
                            Lake Norman

Comment

Mike185 - Did you run into any issues with the additional load of the larger tab on the 5 screws attaching the hinge to the transom? Looks like most GEN2 hinges use 7-8 #12 screws. I also recall someone on here having issues with a GEN2 tab tearing out, but may have been caused by poor pilot holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

@mike185 - Nice job!

Funny I was just asking about DIY surf gates or tabs in another thread. Glad to see the spirit lives.

Comment

Working...
                                X