No announcement yet.

Wakeshaper on older (96) maristar hull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wakeshaper on older (96) maristar hull?

Made a home made gate for my boat and it works great..... When it works. It popped off probly 6 times last weekend. Its the heavy duty aluminum glass holder from amazon. I noticed if i put it on when the shaper was under water it held longer but the maristar hulls are weird shaped in the back w the integrated swim platform and i cant put it alot lower cause theres not much boat left to stick to. Any helps appreciated, thanks!

Just some basic thoughts I have used successfully on several boats when using a suckgate device.

Clean the hull mounting area well with alcohol or better yet toilet bowl cleaner to remove any alge, wax or dried water/mineral deposits.

Clean the suction cups with alcohol to remove any dirt, wax, skin oils or manufacturing mold release film

Apply the suction cups when everything is wet (cups and boat). Firmly press on wake shaper and hold 5-10 sec before even touching the suction cup locking levers to force air and water film out from under the cups. Helps to slightly rock the shaper or apply side to side motion.

While holding pressure on the shaper, Pump the suction levers progressively from open to closed position about 3 times until fully locked. (Pump one 30%, two 60%, three 100%)

Let shaper sit 5-10 sec then apply pressure on the shaper from the side or rap the side of the suction cups with the bottom of your fist as the final test.

If the wake shaper doesn't slide on the boat hull you should be good to go. If it does slide you have a water film trapped between the hull and suction cups. You must start over as the shaper will either slide out of position or likely fall off waisting your valuable family water time.

With older oxidized hull gel coat you may need to polish the mounting area to a glossy shine for best success.

Good luck!
    XT20 5500 GDI Black Mica/Black Topdeck/ Black interior
    SOLD - 2013 X2 Pro Pkg, Gen2 Surf
    SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190
    SOLD - 1985 Stars and Stripes

sigpic

Comment

Thanks so much, been sucking and cruising heavily last few weeks!

Comment

Great to hear! Glad one of the ideas must have been the ticket to keep you suckgate in position and getting you family out on the water. Keep on surfing man!
        XT20 5500 GDI Black Mica/Black Topdeck/ Black interior
        SOLD - 2013 X2 Pro Pkg, Gen2 Surf
        SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190
        SOLD - 1985 Stars and Stripes

sigpic

Comment

Motrends1 .....old post for sure, I was out here poking around. I have the 96 Maristar VRS as well. My son wanted to pick up surfing last year. I purchased a suction type wavemaker as well, ran into the same issues but seem to have mastered the connection points using the posted advice. You are RIGHT, with the integrated swim platform it's tough, you run out of space.

I have a question back to you- I have not mastered the correct wave for my son, at least in my opinion. I don't have any ballast bags or any weight in the boat other than 2 other riders usually riding on the sun deck watching. Any tips / tricks you can share. Speed used, weight added etc. I really want to get it right this year for my son and his friends. Thanks again...Enjoy the season

Comment

On my 99 Maristar, I run a swell slim that fits below the step in the hull. Getting it to stick can be tough, but once on well, it stays. You'll need to run ballast to get any sort of decent wave. I started with just 400lb sacs in the back and this barely enough. I've gone bigger after this with 600s in the back and one of the 400's moved to the bow. run the rear sack on the surfer side heavier than the opposite side. This should get you enough wave for smaller / lighter folks to learn and even drop the the rope. It will not be a large enough waves to do spins or other tricks, but you will be able to surf. I'm running a 13x17 prop and drive at right around 10MPH. The boat would work better with a different prop, but I don't surf enough to take that step yet. Get a good starter board for the right weight and a good surf rope. I don't have a tower on my boat and to get started you don't need one.

Comment

Working...
            X