Stretchy slalom lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretchy slalom lines

The trend is toward pre-stretched, line, but I like a little stretch. Masterline advertises all their lines are pre-stretched. Does any have a recommendation for a simple slalom line that has a bit of stretch, but will still hold up well?

Maybe not specific to your inquiry about stretchy....I venture to say a rope from Walmart, Overtons, etc. (or similar) will meet your criteria. Possibly any rope that is not AWSA approved will get you in the ballpark. I use nothing but AWSA approved lines. Not that I am beyond a stretchy line, but AWSA sets the benchmark for a good line. Anything else is....well...stretchy.

Good ropes are not cheap and cheap ropes are not good. Masterline makes a good rope, in particular on their longer barefoot lines.

And since you did not ask...one thing I have learned not to do with a rope is to twist it from pulling back and forth to line up a skier or pick up a skier. I ask my skiers (and me as well) to pull out to the driver's side of the boat when done with a run. The boat turns into the skier simultaneously, rope in the skier's hand. The two meet, no twists. Course skiing is a little different for pickups.

US $0.02

Last edited by waterlogged882; 07-19-2022, 01:07 PM.
    93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

Comment

Check ballofspray forum. Lots of discussion recently regarding ropes as another manufacturer just entered the game "S-lines" that advertises different rope stretch spec. Some actual pros and regular people on that forum seem to like them. I haven't tried any my self but I'm pretty happy someone is introducing some competition to overpriced MasterLine, even though that is what I use.

Comment

We've used In Tow ski ropes and handles for many, many years. Brenda makes a heck of product...highly recommend. http://www.intowonline.com or https://jlbmfg.com for all her items

Comment

Stretchy is probably not the correct way to view them. There is clearly give in a slalom rope try slaloming with a wakeboard spectra line and you'll see some give is a good thing. But they aren't in any way bungie cords.

I think the better way to think about it is that if you take brand new rope and make it "the right length" for a slalom rope and then ski it a few times it stretches out to a certain length and then settles in. That's what "pre-stretched" means. The company has built the rope then put a few cycles onto it and checked that it measures correctly. Both ropes after say 50 skiers are going to be functionally the same "stretch"

Now then there is how the rope fiber undergoes elastic deformation under skiing conditions and a lot of that has to do with the quality of the fiber used and the lay of the rope's braid.

I would wager the "prestretched" top level ski lines have more give to them then the non-prestretched basic cheap ski ropes. So don't let the term throw you off the higher end ropes should feel better on your body than the lower end non-stretched rope.

Comment

A good quality rope is the way to go. Any slalom rope will have the give you are looking for, but not more (like you'll find in the cheapies). This is what I have been using for a couple years, and at $100 it's a good value. https://www.masterlineusa.com/collec...-w-13-team-hdl

Comment

Pre-stretched means it will conform to AWSA specs during and after skiing. These rope still have “some” give or stretch to them when skiing. Hard to go wrong with Masterline. Made in the USA and great quality. I’m skiing Masterline’s Optimized 2.0 and it def has some give. Although the price on that rope is now insane. Masterline’s 5-section 13M rope is a great value for $70 and also has some give to it. I skied HO’s knotless Syndicate mainline and thought it lost it’s stretch fairly early in its life, and felt pretty firm…not to my liking. My buddy skis it though and loves it. I typically replace my slalom rope every season.

Comment

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post
                Check ballofspray forum. Lots of discussion recently regarding ropes as another manufacturer just entered the game "S-lines" that advertises different rope stretch spec. Some actual pros and regular people on that forum seem to like them. I haven't tried any my self but I'm pretty happy someone is introducing some competition to overpriced MasterLine, even though that is what I use.
                They're good, skied one last week absolutely no problems with them and coming in at a good price.

Comment

This thread has been great and I've been emailing with Scott from S Lines. Very responsive, nice guy. I don't slalom anymore, but we're still using my old competition line from tournament training 15 years ago for recreational purposes. It looks good, but I've been thinking I should get something new. So, I'm going to get a custom 55' line because I run everyone at 15 off. The line will have only one loop instead of 8, so it will be easier to wrap up without all the extra loops.
                  Chris
                  2001 Prostar 209

Comment

Originally posted by cm02WS6 View Post
                    The line will have only one loop instead of 8, so it will be easier to wrap up without all the extra loops.
                    Personally I'd see about him making you a line with a bunch of loops at like 2' increments around 15 off. Depending on the boat I've found that quite a few have much better wakes at say 17 off or 19 off than they do at 15 off. Again depending on the speed.

Comment

Originally posted by cm02WS6 View Post
                      This thread has been great and I've been emailing with Scott from S Lines. Very responsive, nice guy. I don't slalom anymore, but we're still using my old competition line from tournament training 15 years ago for recreational purposes. It looks good, but I've been thinking I should get something new. So, I'm going to get a custom 55' line because I run everyone at 15 off. The line will have only one loop instead of 8, so it will be easier to wrap up without all the extra loops.
                      Is the increased wrap-ability really that much better that you force everyone to ski -15?

Comment

Technically, you can use this to shorten the rope without loops:
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q00um-OkxmY

i got tired of the loops tangling up my wakeboard rope, so I bought some dyneema rope and spliced a loop at the ends at my max rope length. I marked some shorter distances and just use that knot for shorter ropes.

Comment

Originally posted by bcd View Post
                          Technically, you can use this to shorten the rope without loops:
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q00um-OkxmY

i got tired of the loops tangling up my wakeboard rope, so I bought some dyneema rope and spliced a loop at the ends at my max rope length. I marked some shorter distances and just use that knot for shorter ropes.
                          Yeah I mean technically I'm sure you can do this or that, but my point is why not just get a standard rope, is it really that hard to coil up?

Comment

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post

Is the increased wrap-ability really that much better that you force everyone to ski -15?
                            The only thing me or anyone on my boat has ever used the 15' sections for was as an occasional anchor line extension. If anyone ever needs it I have it. Thanks for the concern though.
                            Chris
                            2001 Prostar 209

Comment

Reading further into this thread, I have noticed (as many times in the past) folks talk about line-off loops and what works best for their wake for the comfortable spot...the best spot to avoid a hump in the wake or the flat spot, etc. Each to their own. Line-off loops have absolutely nothing to do with that aspect aside from a coincidence. That and the anchor line length. Have done that too.

93 190
                              (safe click)
                              John 14:6
                              (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                              X