Hardshell Binding Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardshell Binding Options

My ankle is pretty torn up and I am finally over the rubber boots (running HO Approach setup now). After two diggers on the course this year with no binding release and the cost of doctors visits, days of limping, etc... I need to go with something safer. My confidence has fallen off the charts this year because I don't want to re-injure and it is preventing me from progressing.

There are a number of options out there. The most economical option right now appears to be Good Powershells running on their composite plate with the Velcro mount.

I am also considering Fluid Motion E series double hardshells and the new HO EXO system. I have heard good and bad about the first production run of the HO's. Unfortunately, they don't yet have adapter plates so I would have to drill my ski to mount it up.

The Fluid Motions (FE) look really nice but they are almost 175 bucks more than a Goode Powershell setup. Of course the release mechanism on the FE appears far superior to the Velcro lock on the Goode system.

Anyone have any opinions/advice? I would especially be interested in experiences with the GOODE Velcro setup and any "pre-release" issues that may go along with them.

Thanks,
    Scott

The Goode system seems to work for lots of people, I have never liked the Inter-loc approach and it sounds like a decent amount of maintenance if it releases regularly. If you rarely fall, I suppose it isn't too much of an issue.

I have also heard good things about the Radar boots. If I were switching to hardshells I would consider them at the top of my list.

To be fair, I am pretty much anti-Goode at this point so that probably biases me toward the Radar product.

We call the HO Approach setup 'ankle breakers' around here. It is not surprising that you hurt yourself, they are not designed to release. IMHO the hardshells can be safe IF you set them up correctly and use them correctly every single set, if not, you could do worse damage than you have already done.

A set of Wiley's rubber boots will greatly reduce the probability of ankle damage compared to your current setup. However, injury is possible with any setup.
    94 Prostar 190, LT-1, Powerslot [SOLD]

sigpic

Comment

Funny... that's what everyone I talk to says about the Approach bindings!

I am actually running a pair of Wiley's right now while I figure out where to spend my $$. My friend had an extra set that I am borrowing.

The Wiley's are fairly comfy, but coming from the Approaches, they are a tad "sloppy"... maybe not the best description, but you probably know what I mean. I'm an avid snow skier, so having a direct response to the ski just feels more natural to me.

I never really thought about the slalom bindings because for the last 25 years I have always open water skied. I'm a late bloomer... last season I came down with a case of the orange buoy bug. Meanwhile, my wife is standing over my shoulder with her calculator in one hand and her own wish list in the other, watching my every move... lol

On the Inter-loc, the maintenance is a concern. How long does the Inter-loc hold up, how often does it have to be scraped/replaced. Does it wear out and begin pre-releasing... when you do release how much of a chore is it to get locked back on... etc

I'll take a look at the Radar's too... I need to decide quick... summer is half over!

Comment

Originally posted by smiller View Post
        I'll take a look at the Radar's too... I need to decide quick... summer is half over!
        I ride the Radar Annex with double Strada boots. I really like the way they feel. I moved from double high wraps to the Radar's. They feel very comfortable, and I feel like I have more control because I'm more connected to the ski. I haven't had a bad OTF or other bad fall on it yet (must not be skiing hard enough ), but I know I can pull my feet out after a run (with the liners) pretty easy. I barely tighten the straps...

Good Luck!
        Last edited by M-Funf; 08-03-2010, 03:32 PM.
        M-Funf (a.k.a. Jeff)

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit

Comment

I'll second the Radar boots... just upgraded my ski to the RS-1's last year and just bought a set for my other ski as well. The biggest factor that I found was my feet don't go numb after being in them for an extended period of time
          1998 Stingray 180LX
          2000 Infinity ZX-1 good riddens
          2003 Prostar TT 197 sold

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11

Comment

Originally posted by smiller View Post
            Funny... that's what everyone I talk to says about the Approach bindings!

I am actually running a pair of Wiley's right now while I figure out where to spend my $$. My friend had an extra set that I am borrowing.

The Wiley's are fairly comfy, but coming from the Approaches, they are a tad "sloppy"... maybe not the best description, but you probably know what I mean. I'm an avid snow skier, so having a direct response to the ski just feels more natural to me.

I never really thought about the slalom bindings because for the last 25 years I have always open water skied. I'm a late bloomer... last season I came down with a case of the orange buoy bug. Meanwhile, my wife is standing over my shoulder with her calculator in one hand and her own wish list in the other, watching my every move... lol

On the Inter-loc, the maintenance is a concern. How long does the Inter-loc hold up, how often does it have to be scraped/replaced. Does it wear out and begin pre-releasing... when you do release how much of a chore is it to get locked back on... etc

Get in touch with Wiley's. They can get you into a stiffer overlay that will take the slop out of those boots. I went from Approach to Wiley's Pro Build and have been very happy.
            Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the Radar's. A new set of Stradas is in the mail destined for my doorstep! The price is sure right compared to a true hardshell binding.

Comment

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the strada's after you have had a couple of sets. What ski are you putting them on? Whats your level in the course?

Comment

I went from HO to Goode system. I would sprain my ankle every year until I switched to the PowerShell 5's. Knock on wood, I have not had any ankle issues sense the switch. I have had 3 OTF in the past two years and all 3 times the bindings released. I have never had pre-release. As for resetting the bindings, it takes only a few min. Snap the interlock together with a doll rod and rubber mallet. You should not even miss a set, its that quick.

Hope this helps!!

Comment

I have to agree that the powershells have been great for me as well.
                    No pre-preleases and they have released about 5 or 6 times when they should have in the past two years. Most falls were OTF. They did sink to the bottom of the lake once though! Luckily my buddy found them with scuba equipment in about 30 feet!
                    sigpic
                    04 197 TT LQ9 stargazer w/Z-Box
                    Tournament PB 1/4 buoy @ 35 off
                    Previous...
                    96 Prostar 205 Lt1
                    93 Prostar 205 HO
                    81 Leaves and stripes(Can. edition)

Comment

wow, guess i've been lucky...been on approach bindings since '06 and never had any issues besides the overlay strap breaking.
                      Sold my '89 PS190

'07 PS197 TT w/PP & ZO

club boat '12 PS197 TT

Comment

I'm on a new set of FM's (Whitelines) and have been happy. I went with the single plate model. My previous set up was dual-lock and I had some trouble getting the release set correctly. The benefit of the FM system in my opinion is you can test the release because it doesn't need to be set particularly high to eliminate pre-release... I've come out a couple times and was glad I did. I had the approaches once as well- ankle issues ever since...

Comment

Working...
                        X