• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matt
    TT Regular
    • Nov 2010

New barefoot suit

My old suit is about 15 years old and in need of replacing. I would appreciate any help of suggestions on a new suit. I have looked at the Barefoot International and the Eagle suits on the INTERNET, but would like the opinion of a recent owner. thanks
  • 03 35th Anniversary
    MC Devotee
    • Feb 2007

I have owned both of those suits plus iron and vortex.

Personally I like the Vortex out of all of them the best.

Comment

• matt
      TT Regular
      • Nov 2010

What made you prefer the vortex? They have some good prices.

Comment

• LakeWorth
        TT Regular
        • Sep 2010

I bought a new Barefoot International suit last September. I have only used it 6 times so far but I am very happy with it. It has lots of padding where it needs to be and it is appears to be constructed very strong. I would recommend it.

Comment

• 03 35th Anniversary
          MC Devotee
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by matt View Post
          What made you prefer the vortex? They have some good prices.
          It is fitted really well and I feel like I have a lot better flexibility than with the other bands.

As far as price I couldn't tell you the differences in any of them.

Comment

• smoketu
            TT Enthusiast
            • Aug 2008

I pulled the trigger and bought the whole get-up. It was the eagle suit with heater shirt and padded shorts and I love it. I 've been using it since early this year, not familiar with the b.i. stuff.

Comment

• matt
              TT Regular
              • Nov 2010

All the suits are about $300. My Oneil lasted a little over 15 years, but as I get older, it seams to have shrunk. Or maybe I am getting a little larger. They all seem to be nice, well made suits, although some of the graphics are a bit beyond my taste. I wish I had a local dealer I could look at them up close. I appreciate ya'lls help on this.

Comment

• Jerseydave
                TT Hero
                • Jul 2004

Any of the new suits USCG approved? I have an old CASAD that is USCG, just in case I get stopped by the water cops.
                I was njskier on here.

Comment

• matt
                  TT Regular
                  • Nov 2010

Good question Dave. the Marine police around here are tough. I think some of them wake up in the morning looking to hassle, and that would give one of them a reason to write a ticket. I will look in to that. Thanks Dave

Comment

• Barefooter92
                    MC Fanatic
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Jerseydave View Post
                    Any of the new suits USCG approved? I have an old CASAD that is USCG, just in case I get stopped by the water cops.
                    This CASAD suit wouldn't happend to be Yellow, Cyan, Purple, and Orange would it? I owned one of those back in the day for the reason of USCG too. Love to see pictures of that old thing talk about flash backs!

Comment

• No Skeez
                      TT Enthusiast
                      • Sep 2006

If the water cops are hassling you for wearing a non-approved barefoot suit, are they also ticketing every wakeboarder with a non-approved 'competition' style vest? I've never had an issue when wearing my barefoot suit, but in Wisconsin, skiers aren't by law required to have any flotation on. There just has to be an approved vest in the boat for them.

As to the suits, it really depends on what you are looking to do. I love my Barefoot International Iron suit for deepwater starts and tumble turns, but I prefer my Vortex Helix when it comes to flexibility. I won't touch Eagle because I disagree with the ownership of the company, but that's a whole different story. Keith St. Onge just came out with his own line of suits now too, which may be worth looking into. As Vortex is now out of business, I would guess you could find some pretty good deals on their stuff, provided you can find the right size. From a quick search, looks like the guys at Action Watersports in Michigan took over the remaining inventory. Good guys to work with.

Regardless of which brand you pick, if you're going to be doing deepwater starts or tumble turns, make sure to invest in a pair of padded shorts. They're worth it. As to sizing questions, if you are leaning towards a Barefoot International Iron suit, call the 800 number and ask for Mike (Seipel). He'll ask for your height and weight, and if you don't fit in the size he recommends, I'm sure he'll make it right.

Best of luck in your search!

Comment

• 03 35th Anniversary
                        MC Devotee
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by No Skeez View Post
                        If the water cops are hassling you for wearing a non-approved barefoot suit, are they also ticketing every wakeboarder with a non-approved 'competition' style vest? I've never had an issue when wearing my barefoot suit, but in Wisconsin, skiers aren't by law required to have any flotation on. There just has to be an approved vest in the boat for them.

As to the suits, it really depends on what you are looking to do. I love my Barefoot International Iron suit for deepwater starts and tumble turns, but I prefer my Vortex Helix when it comes to flexibility. I won't touch Eagle because I disagree with the ownership of the company, but that's a whole different story. Keith St. Onge just came out with his own line of suits now too, which may be worth looking into. As Vortex is now out of business, I would guess you could find some pretty good deals on their stuff, provided you can find the right size. From a quick search, looks like the guys at Action Watersports in Michigan took over the remaining inventory. Good guys to work with.

Regardless of which brand you pick, if you're going to be doing deepwater starts or tumble turns, make sure to invest in a pair of padded shorts. They're worth it. As to sizing questions, if you are leaning towards a Barefoot International Iron suit, call the 800 number and ask for Mike (Seipel). He'll ask for your height and weight, and if you don't fit in the size he recommends, I'm sure he'll make it right.

Best of luck in your search!
                        That dude is an A$$Hole isn't he?

I didn't know Vortex went under!! When did they sink?

I also use the Helix V2, best suit I have ever had.

Comment

• tex
                          MC Platinum
                          • Aug 2004

I love my Eagle suits! Good fit and made of iron!
                          2002 Blue Prostar 197, 0 Flex Tower, Perfect Pass, and The Preditor-ADHD Skier

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

• JLeuck64
                            MC Fanatic
                            • Jun 2005

Owned a Casad as well, for the same reasons as stated. Thin butt padding though and really liked the suit once I added a pair of padded shorts. Really recommend those padded shorts for anyone just starting out.

Owned a Vortex also, better flexibility for sure, but was disappointed how it has held up over the years. The padding has separated from the neoprene causing it to bunch up.

Just recently bought an Eagle, when shopping for another I noticed a lot of older Eagle suits still seem to be holding together just fine after many many seasons of use. So I bought one. Probably won't ever buy another one for the same reason as stated above, just a bad experience with customer service is all. But on the positive side if this suit holds up, I probably won't be needing another one!

Charles at Lake Elmo is currently clearing out inventory and is offering free shipping until the end of the month. Bought my Vortex from him for like 90 bucks as a close out item and still have it but don't use it much. Here's the link...

Lake Elmo Sports : Thank you for visiting Lake Elmo Sports! - Clothing & Jewlery Bags Barefoot Equipment Boat Accessories Handles & Mainlines Helmets & Protective Gear Show Skis & Equipment Skis, Bindings Suits, Heater Shirts Tubes, Towables, Water Toys Vests, Rash Guards, Gloves Wakeboard, Wakeskates, Wakesurf Kneeboards, Air Chair Gift Card SPECIALS, BLEMS, CLOSEOUTS!! Trampolines Used Equipment MARINE ACCESSORIES show ski equipment, show ski, lake elmo, lake elmo sports, water skis,...

He has other suits on close out as well. Tough to find a size that fits sometimes with these close out deals. Don't be tempted to buy one that is a little bigger. I have found that loose fitting suits are crappy for trying to do tumble turns. The suit has to fit snug in order to glide well.
                            HTH
                            http://www.mastercraft.com/photopost...er=2572&sort=1
                            Need LT-1 parts?
                            OIL FILTER: Factory installed is a Penzoil P23, Afta market brands, AC Delco PF-454 and a Fram PH-13 or PH-30 will work.
                            SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
                            FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
                            89058397 (pump outlet side)
                            IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)

Comment

• barefoot
                              MC Devotee
                              • Jun 2005

I have a BF Iron suit for about 4 years now and it's holding up pretty well. My suggestion is to buy smaller then you think you need because you want the suit to be tight for deep waters and tumble turns. The last thing you want is your suit filling up with water causing extra drag because it's too big. I'm 5'8'' 155 and wear an XS. It takes a while to break in, but the smaller the better IMO.

I've heard that Eagle uses a pretty revolutionary computer system to size their suits. I'd like to take a look at Eagle for my next suit.
                              Hello, my name Ryan!

Comment

Working...
                              X